Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I"M Sorry But How Can Someone Be That Stupid?
sassysue 01:24 PM 11-04-2011
Some people just blow my mind! Here in Michigan if you are on the food program you must offer it to ALL children in care, including infants. (age discrimination) Anyway, the only way around it is to offer some off the wall brand of formula and hope that they will choose to bring their own, by the way-that never happens. So I told one of my new parents that and she was like "Oh that's great, it will save me time and money!" So fast forward about a week and she comes in and says"I'm almost out of formula at home,I just thought I'd let you know"

I said "Yes that's fine,remember you don't need to bring any after the can I have here runs out"
She respond "Yes, I know, that's why I'm telling you so you can send some home before he runs out" Are people freaking nuts?
She thought that meant I would be supplying his formula ALL the time. I tried to explain that yes I supply the food for your baby when he's here,just like I supply meals to the older kids but No I'm not feeding your child all meals. I tend not to hold back(dumb people are my biggest pet peeve)

I said, would you like me to buy food for your whole family too? I seriously think it took her five minutes to actually comprehend what I was trying to tell her-S-T-U-P-I-D!!!
mismatchedsocks 01:26 PM 11-04-2011
LOL omgosh! Yea, let me prepare all your families suppers too! shaking my head!
SilverSabre25 01:29 PM 11-04-2011
::shaking head:: that's ridiculous. Not all that suprising however. I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people struggle with comprehension and critical thinking.

Wasn't there someone on here awhile ago that had a parent who thought that because the provider supplied snacks at daycare, they'd be sending snacks to preschool with the child too (for the whole class) and brought the provider the approved snack list?
awestbrook713 01:30 PM 11-04-2011
lol I just had a similar post, your parent totally beats mine.
KBCsMommy 01:32 PM 11-04-2011
Daycare Providers feeding the Nation!!!! We Are great arent we!!!!

Wow!! What a doozy!!
sassysue 01:33 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
lol I just had a similar post, your parent totally beats mine.
I guess all you can do is laugh(and shake my head)
mismatchedsocks 01:35 PM 11-04-2011
I had 4 infants all at the same time one time. And I am a nice provider and bought them all their own formula even though I didnt have to. Well one mom kept switching, so I told her I would switch the boy back when his formula here ran out, and she said just give it to me, I will use it up for you. WHAT?!

These parents are probably on WIC too and get too much formula for their kids as it is!
Heidi 01:39 PM 11-04-2011
When I had infants on formula, I asked them what kind they use. Then I said "oh, ok". I then decided that was NOT the brand I am using. the end!
laundrymom 01:40 PM 11-04-2011
I once had a lady mark Breastmilk, on the first day of care she brought no milk. She thought I was a wet nurse!
SilverSabre25 01:45 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I once had a lady mark Breastmilk, on the first day of care she brought no milk. She thought I was a wet nurse!
<--my face really looked like that when I read this! WOW.
Heidi 01:50 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
<--my face really looked like that when I read this! WOW.
mine too!
Kat 02:01 PM 11-04-2011
Wow... did she at least have the decency to feel dumb after she realized...??

Originally Posted by laundrymom:

CheekyChick 02:11 PM 11-04-2011
That is hilarious. She honestly thought you would proved meals for him while at home?????????????????????? ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blackcat31 02:33 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
::shaking head:: that's ridiculous. Not all that suprising however. I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people struggle with comprehension and critical thinking.
Wasn't there someone on here awhile ago that had a parent who thought that because the provider supplied snacks at daycare, they'd be sending snacks to preschool with the child too (for the whole class) and brought the provider the approved snack list?
That is because they didn't have a play based child care experience with good food, deep restorative sleep, and plenty of soical experiences with their peers that helped hone those critical thinking and comprehension skills.

They probably only watched TV all day and had battery operated toys that did the thinking and processing for them.
small_steps 02:44 PM 11-04-2011
My 8 year old is looking at me like I'm crazy for laughing out loud at reading this. Reading this was a great way to end the work day. Is it bad to laugh out how dumb some people are? If so...oh well!
nannyde 02:50 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by sassysue:
Anyway, the only way around it is to offer some off the wall brand of formula and hope that they will choose to bring their own, by the way-that never happens.
I haven't had a formula baby for ages but when I did get them I never had a parent choose the off brand of formula I offered. I've never purchased a can of formula in all the years I've done care.

I make the baby food from scratch so it's pretty cheap. The only thing I have to buy is the baby cereal.

That's too bad that you have to supply the formula and food. I wouldn't be able to do that without raising rates for the infants. Even generic formula is SO expensive.
Oneluckymom 05:11 PM 11-04-2011
@NannyDe....I currently am caring for a 5mo old who is not on cereal yet. But I also thought of making my own baby food as I did with my own children. Do you know if I can claim that as I would with any other infant meal on the food program?
wdmmom 05:55 PM 11-04-2011
And these people have offspring! Can you imagine how ignorant they will be when they grow up?!?!?!?!
misspollywog 06:21 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by sassysue:
I seriously think it took her five minutes to actually comprehend what I was trying to tell her-S-T-U-P-I-D!!!
I think it would've taken ME five minutes to figure out that she actually thought I was providing her formula for at home!

My gosh some people are dumber than a bag of hammers.
nannyde 06:26 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
@NannyDe....I currently am caring for a 5mo old who is not on cereal yet. But I also thought of making my own baby food as I did with my own children. Do you know if I can claim that as I would with any other infant meal on the food program?
Yes you can claim home made baby food. The cereal has to be iron fortified so I don't know any way of making that. I buy the gerber organic cereal and I don't serve that until they day they turn eight months. I only have four months where I have to buy the boxed cereal. I make all the baby fruits and veggies and puree.
Oneluckymom 08:47 PM 11-04-2011
Thanks Nannyde...so are they just on formula until 8mos? What if you have a parent that insists on cereal at 5 or 6 months?
mom2many 08:50 PM 11-04-2011
I am on the food program and have been providing formula for many years. I have always provided whichever formula the parents have chosen. Some moms have pumped and saved me the expense of buying the formula and that was awesome!

I am speechless that any parent would even think it was the provider's responsibility to provide formula outside their child's d/c hours.
Are you kidding?!?!?!? I'm sorry but this is completely ridiculous. I cannot fathom how they'd form that conclusion...when is a child's food ever provided for outside of daycare???????????
nannyde 03:43 AM 11-05-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Thanks Nannyde...so are they just on formula until 8mos? What if you have a parent that insists on cereal at 5 or 6 months?
At my house they are on formula or breast milk till eight months. The parents start the food at home usually around six months. By the time I start feeding cereal and fruit/veg they are pretty adept with the spoon.

I don't have parents insisting on food stuff. They know I know my stuff on food. I know when to do it and how to do it. They know that I believe children should learn to eat off a spoon at home when they are having one to one care.

The most discussions we have about baby food is actually about amounts. Parents really need training on what the serving size is for cereal and fruit. I talk a lot to them and actually demonstrate for them what the MAX serving size looks like for the six to eight month crowd.

100 percent of the time the parents do when they see how SMALL it is. We talk about keeping the amounts at the minimum amounts and then move up to the max amounts as the child progresses in months. I want everyone on board for not overfeeding which is becoming a serious problem in our nation.

Parents know I'm a foodie so they are very cool about letting me manage it here as I see fit. I end up with awesome eaters and that's what they want.
Childminder 09:18 AM 11-05-2011
OMG! Some people astound me. I also am in MI and have never had to provide formula because the parents do. Also, 99% of my kids are on WIC and receive it free anyway. Geesh!
DCMom 09:31 AM 11-05-2011
Wow. Just when you think you have heard everything....

It's been awhile since I've had a baby that wasn't breastfed, but I caught the price of formula while at the grocery store the other day. No wonder they keep it under lock and key, for heaven's sake! It's crazy.
Tags:food program, parents - are clueless
Reply Up