Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Find Professional Words Please, (Vent)
daycare 11:50 AM 10-18-2013
So one of my dcf paid late last month.....lots of things were going on and I decided to post the late fee to their nov. invoice, which went out this past monday.

this family has been with me a few years, made a few late payments over time, two bounce checks and now has to pay via wire transfer or cash. I have done back flips for this family with discounts and what not. I told dcf that the next time they paid late I would charge a late fee and they will lose their discount if they pay late again.

well now DCD is saying well why didn't you remind me, why did the payment due date change, why why why..

I did respond once saying invoices always go out on the 10th of the month, one friendly reminder via email the week before payments are due. Due date has not changed, nothing has changed.

now dcd is saying well you should have called me and told me, I don't want to pay this late fee when you could have just called or text me to tell me that it was due...we normally pay you early doesn't that account for anything???

I am really frustrated right now. REALLY I have 16 families enrolled, it's not my job to chase you down to make your payment. I did my part, sent invoice and went above and beyond and sent a friendly reminder as well.

BUT I can't say that..............any one care to help me find the right words to use to respond to this last email from DCD? It is really taking all of me right now to bite my tonuge....

Thanks................and TGIF......
MamaBearCanada 11:56 AM 10-18-2013
Dear DCF

I send out one reminder the week before tuition is due. This reminder is not part of my duties as your child's daycare provider and is done as a courtesy not obligation. The responsibility for payment being made on time is that of the DCF not the provider.
daycaremum 11:58 AM 10-18-2013
I think with all the special exceptions you have made for this family previously, they are thinking "Why isn't she doing special for me anymore??""
I believe you need to be straight forward and to the point, repeat what you have already stated about nothing having changed, and that it is every families responsibility to pay on time and you are unable to give reminders.

He is just trying to get away with something. I would remind him of all the "special" you have done just for them and every time he tries to argue, you simply repeat everything you have already said, because your answer is not going to change.

The hydro company does not "remind" you to pay the bill, it comes in the mail,you have to read the due date and make sure you pay on time or there are interest charges. Why should daycare bill be any different.
daycare 11:58 AM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Dear DCF

I send out one reminder the week before tuition is due. This reminder is not part of my duties as your child's daycare provider and is done as a courtesy not obligation. The responsibility for payment being made on time is that of the DCF not the provider.
Thanks so much.....I know that If I sent that, it would be WW3.......

but you are dead on with what you are saying, I just need to soften it a bit........yes I am a softie.....this is why I have this issue.....lol
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 10-18-2013
Dear DCD

I understand your frustrations and I do sympathize with you. However, I have gone above and beyond several times in the past as far as making exceptions to my policies for you. Unfortunately I am no longer in a position to do so.

I understand that a reminder would have been nice but as an adult, I certainly don't feel that is a justifiable reason to not pay the late fees you have been charged. For future reference, please mark your calendar for ALL upcoming payment due dates. This practice should eliminate the need for anyone to remind you that payment is due.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter

Sincerely

Child Care Provider NOT Adult Care Provider.

I'm a bit more blunt than you so if you prefer, I can soften it up a bit.

FWIW~ I don't think this DCD will take it well no matter how you say it. The only way it appears to make him happy is let him have his way, which I would NEVER agree to.
Jack Sprat 12:00 PM 10-18-2013
Dear DCD,

I am sorry that you feel it is my responsibility to remind you of your late payment. I sent you an invoice and a reminder I feel that is sufficient.

Thank you

Unregistered 12:01 PM 10-18-2013
DCD,

I am confused. Nothing has changed about payments. Payment is stil due by______. Invoices went out on ________, and a courtesy reminder __________. Unfortunately I am unable to devote any additional time for reminders. Please be reminded, as previously discussed, any further lates will result in the loss of your discount.

Daycare
daycare 12:05 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Dear DCD

I understand your frustrations and I do sympathize with you. However, I have gone above and beyond several times in the past as far as making exceptions to my policies for you. Unfortunately I am no longer in a position to do so.

I understand that a reminder would have been nice but as an adult, I certainly don't feel that is a justifiable reason to not pay the late fees you have been charged. For future reference, please mark your calendar for ALL upcoming payment due dates. This practice should eliminate the need for anyone to remind you that payment is due.

Sincerely

FWIW~ I don't think this DCD will take it well no matter how you say it. The only way it appears to make him happy is let him have his way, which I would NEVER agree to.
I love this......yes I am a softie, but I have really been putting my foot down. No way am I going to back down and nothing he says is going to get me to change my mind. I already warned them no more special. the only thing now is to take action, charge the late fee and let them deal with their own feelings about it. NOt my problem.
MamaBearCanada 12:05 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
Thanks so much.....I know that If I sent that, it would be WW3.......

but you are dead on with what you are saying, I just need to soften it a bit........yes I am a softie.....this is why I have this issue.....lol
I see what you're saying.

From all your posts you sound like an amazing provider! I'm sorry this guy is taking advantage
MamaBearCanada 12:08 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Dear DCD

Sincerely

Yes. A lot more tactful than my suggestion
daycare 12:09 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
I see what you're saying.

From all your posts you sound like an amazing provider! I'm sorry this guy is taking advantage
yes I am amazingly a HUGE push over.....well I use to be. I have really gotten a strong back bone from this site. You ladies really help me find my confidence to stand strong and not let these people walk all over me.......

I am always learning with this business. Never a dull moment that's for sure.....
Childminder 12:20 PM 10-18-2013
I understand that you feel I should be spending time on book keeping but I feel that I should be spending that time caring for the children.
Blackcat31 12:40 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I understand that you feel I should be spending time on book keeping but I feel that I should be spending that time caring for the children.
Simple and to the point! A good point too!
daycare 12:40 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
lol........yeah I could think of a million things that I REALLY want to say, but my mother told me that if I don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all... I guess I must have listened too much.......im so soft all the time I could melt like a Popsicle....
se7en 03:31 PM 10-18-2013
What is the hydro company ? Sorry, off -topic, but I am so curious.
JoseyJo 03:47 PM 10-18-2013
hydro=water so maybe water company?
Josiegirl 04:36 PM 10-18-2013
Dear DCD,
Stop passing the buck and just pay the late fee. End of discussion.
Your DCP and her newly found backbone
daycare 04:56 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Dear DCD,
Stop passing the buck and just pay the late fee. End of discussion.
Your DCP and her newly found backbone
lmao I swear you have been talking to my husband......
Leigh 05:31 PM 10-18-2013
So one of my dcf paid late last month.....lots of things were going on and I decided to post the late fee to their nov. invoice, which went out this past monday.

this family has been with me a few years, made a few late payments over time, two bounce checks and now has to pay via wire transfer or cash. I have done back flips for this family with discounts and what not. I told dcf that the next time they paid late I would charge a late fee and they will lose their discount if they pay late again.

well now DCD is saying well why didn't you remind me, why did the payment due date change, why why why..

I did respond once saying invoices always go out on the 10th of the month, one friendly reminder via email the week before payments are due. Due date has not changed, nothing has changed.

now dcd is saying well you should have called me and told me, I don't want to pay this late fee when you could have just called or text me to tell me that it was due...we normally pay you early doesn't that account for anything???

I am really frustrated right now. REALLY I have 16 families enrolled, it's not my job to chase you down to make your payment. I did my part, sent invoice and went above and beyond and sent a friendly reminder as well.

BUT I can't say that..............any one care to help me find the right words to use to respond to this last email from DCD? It is really taking all of me right now to bite my tonuge....

Thanks................and TGIF......
Quite simply, the invoice WAS their reminder, as was the courtesy REMINDER e-mail. That is exactly what I would tell them.
dbslas 05:32 PM 10-18-2013
I agree with everyone above. You shouldn't soften what you say at this point. You have done enough accommodating with this family regarding payment. I would pick one of the short and sweet responses above and be done with it. He doesn't call you every day to remind you to care for his child, nor does he have to remind his boss to pay him -- same applies to him paying you on time.

Sorry he put you in this position. It isn't fair, but happens a lot.
daycare 05:40 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by dbslas:
I agree with everyone above. You shouldn't soften what you say at this point. You have done enough accommodating with this family regarding payment. I would pick one of the short and sweet responses above and be done with it. He doesn't call you every day to remind you to care for his child, nor does he have to remind his boss to pay him -- same applies to him paying you on time.

Sorry he put you in this position. It isn't fair, but happens a lot.
I love the line....he doesnt call you everyday to remind you to care for his child...........'

If this continues to be a ping pong game with this dad, I am going to say this........

Thanks so much..

One hour left to go.;.......until TGIF
Familycare71 06:33 PM 10-18-2013
I believe hydro is gas
dbslas 06:45 PM 10-18-2013
I love the line....he doesnt call you everyday to remind you to care for his child...........'

If this continues to be a ping pong game with this dad, I am going to say this........

Thanks so much..

One hour left to go.;.......until TGIF

Blackcat31 09:12 AM 10-19-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I believe hydro is gas
Hydro electric. It's the power company.

* I think... I watch alot of HGTV and they usually mean power company when they say hydro.
Tags:backbone - not, late payments
Reply Up