Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Let DC Kids On Your LR Furniture?
wabbittrouble 01:35 PM 12-18-2013
Wanted to know where you all are on this topic. I find that it's the one room in the house I don't want the kids snotting up or puking on/in. I do allow them in the livingroom to dance, etc. but I don't allow them on my furniture. We have a playroom and they also have access to the dining room to play, color, do activities.
Great Beginnings 01:45 PM 12-18-2013
NO WAY!! lol!

I used to but I found myself buying new furniture every year or every other year because they would jump on them and the backs would break or the bottom or they started to smell like pee and I couldn't get the smell out. I know our stuff getting ruined is a part of our business but I need some things that I can spend money on and enjoy for awhile. Plus it's embarassing to have company and not only is your kitchen table, walls and bathroom scratched up and dumpy you don't want them sitting on dumpy furniture too lol!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 01:49 PM 12-18-2013
no, they do not have access to my living room or any of the "private rooms" of my house. They are gated to the playroom, breakfast nook, kitchen, and bathroom.
DaycareMom 01:59 PM 12-18-2013
They are allowed to SIT on the couches in our living room. They are NOT allowed to stand, jump, run, or bounce on them. I also will not allow a child who is not fully potty trained on them.

My home is open concept so I can always see them.
cara041083 02:06 PM 12-18-2013
I don't allow them on my furniture or in the other rooms of my house. However I am having issues with my coffee table. I do a lot of redirecting with kids wanting to go under it or walk around it or put there toys on it to play (more like bang there toys lol). So I am really thinking about getting rid of it. I have 2 kids under 2 that are my own so its not like we can use it for drinks and such anyway.
crazydaycarelady 02:17 PM 12-18-2013
No! They can sit on the furniture in the dcrooom but the LR is off limits to them.
mrsnj 02:19 PM 12-18-2013
Ditto Cara. Not allowed on furniture. They aren't allowed in the livingroom anyway except to arrive and leave but they aren't allowed in the family room on the furniture either. I do allow the older school age children but they are not allowed to have feet up or stand, jump etc or they get the floor. I guess Im mean but I want to keep SOMETHING nice.
AnneCordelia 02:32 PM 12-18-2013
My livingroom is an L shape with my diningroom. The diningroom is my daycare room, and we use the floor space in the LR for play too. I have a nice couch there that kids can sit on if they are reliable potty trained, can get themselves up.and down without pulling cushion fabric, and are reliable with not snotting/drooling on it. I do have childsize furniture in the daycare room which includes a pillowed reading nook, and both rooms have plush area rugs that are comfy but easily cleaned, so I feel they have lots of comfy spots.
e.j. 03:59 PM 12-18-2013
No way! When I first started doing day care, I had kids vomit and pee on my sofa and chairs and one even smeared poop all over the back of my sofa. That was the last straw for me. The only kids allowed in my living room are non-walkers. They nap in a port-a-crib and once they are old enough to nap in the same room with the other kids, I transition them. I do have a dedicated day care romm, though, so I'm able to do that. It might be harder to do if the kids had to play in the living room.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:04 PM 12-18-2013
I don't really have a living room, as in a formal room. I have a family room in which we do all our living--family, child care, and company. The kids use everything in there (and the kitchen, and the art studio). To me, one of the advantages of family child care is that it's a home, with a home's comforts. Snuggling on the couch is a part of that. (That said, I have a cruddy free-to-me couch covered by a ruined slipcover, because, yeah, they wreck it.) I do have some off-limits spaces, though (my office, our bedrooms, our piano).
Play Care 03:03 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I don't really have a living room, as in a formal room. I have a family room in which we do all our living--family, child care, and company. The kids use everything in there (and the kitchen, and the art studio). To me, one of the advantages of family child care is that it's a home, with a home's comforts. Snuggling on the couch is a part of that. (That said, I have a cruddy free-to-me couch covered by a ruined slipcover, because, yeah, they wreck it.) I do have some off-limits spaces, though (my office, our bedrooms, our piano).

Like another poster, the kids are allowed to SIT on my furniture. If they are on their feet they get off. I have older furniture but it's in great shape and gets steam cleaned every few weeks.
EchoMom 03:52 AM 12-19-2013
I used to. Then I bought new furniture and now I do only rarely and buggy imvitation only. My own DS is allowed to sit on it during work hours because he Lives here and the kids know that. However they still lean in it and. Touch it walking by. Hard to keep their grub totally off it since we play in living room.
nannyde 05:11 AM 12-19-2013
No
I only have furniture in my living room and they just come in and out the front door. Other than that they aren't in the living room. It's not child proofed.
caregiver 07:27 AM 12-19-2013
No, no one is allowed to play or sit in the living room or on the furniture. I used to have to use my living room for daycare years ago as I had no other spare room, my own kids bedrooms were off limits to play in, but used them for nap time. I had a formal dining room that I loved, but just seemed to use it once a year for Christmas and used my kitchen for Holidays as we had remodeled it a few yrs ago and it is now bigger and nicer then my dinning room. So I converted my dinning room to my play room for daycare and it works just great. So that is where they play and I only have a rocking chair in there which I sit in and if I am out of the room for some reason,like to fix lunch, the kids get to take turns sitting in it.
I also was having to buy new living room furniture about every 5 yrs or so because it was getting so used and dirty because I did have my daycare kids in there for many years.
sharlan 07:37 AM 12-19-2013
Yes, the kids have total access to my downstairs. That includes both my formal living room and my family room. I can't tell my grandkids that they can be on the furniture but the daycare kids can't.
Jenne 07:53 AM 12-19-2013
Nope. I had a 2 year old fall off my couch a couple of years ago. He banged his foot on the coffee table as he fell & broke it in 4 places. Lucky I didn't get sued. NO ONE that doesn't live here is allowed on furniture anymore.
melilley 12:09 PM 12-19-2013
Yes, but only if they sit. We use my whole house for dc and when I cook the kids are allowed in my family room where the couch is. Plus my ds is 1 and sits on it so I can't see telling other kids no.

I have noticed snot smears on it though....bleck
Brooksie 12:30 PM 12-19-2013
I used to let them in there while we did dance videos on rainy days or on movie days but they couldn't contain them selves from standing on or fighting over the seats of the couch so now no one but dd is allowed in the living room during care hours.
MotherNature 03:09 PM 12-19-2013
I only have my lr and dining area for daycare. My front door opens right into the lr..no buffer there. They're able to sit on the couch, but it's getting aggravating.. I'm constantly telling the almost 2 yr old dcg to sit at the table w/ food. She wanders around with it & her milk, but always goes back to the table if I tell her to. She tries to climb on the couch with food, uses my side tables to climb over the arm of the couch...Jumps on it. My own 3yo son doesn't help. I tell him constantly not to jump on the couch or climb over the side. I swear I tell dcg at least 50 times a day. Ugh. Her parents have chuckled before when they see her jumping on my couch. Not cool since I just got a new couch! Any tips?
Atroya 10:53 PM 12-19-2013
I have a large living room, where the dck spend most of their day. They are allowed to SIT on the couches/chairs. No standing/jumping/etc. I do not allow children under 3 to sit on them, too much of a risk of them falling off. 3 yr olds that are not very coordinated are also not allowed on them. Keeping the under 3 yr olds off of them also keeps most of the snot/etc off of them. I have not had anyone vomit or have a potty accident on them yet. Those going through potty training are also not allowed on them. I also have a downstairs toy room with a video monitor, it has an old couch in it, but I still yell at them through the mic if I see them jumping/standing/roughhousing on it. Forgot to mention that I do have some sheets on the cushions of the LR couches..for both kid messes and dirty dog feet. My dogs constantly track stuff in from the yard...even when it seems dry. I used to have whole couch covers, but I found them to be ugly, and more of a PIA than anything. The sheets work well, and I can whip them off and wash them really quick if I need to. Those full couch covers are so huge, and a PIA to get on and off, they are a pain to wash.
Reply Up