Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Our Playroom. If You Are Montessori-Inspired What Would You Change?
SunflowerMama 10:50 AM 04-28-2017
I'm transitioning from basically free play all day to a more structured montessori-inspired pre-k. Here is a picture of our playroom. If you do montessori-inspired what would you change? Pictures of other setups would be awesome. Not pictured is our reading area in the right side of the room (comfy chairs and small bookcase).

Out in the house kitchen area we do art and more activities.
Attached: 18056582_10154544423566344_3037833236331349845_o.jpg (186.9 KB) 
itchyfeet 11:38 PM 04-29-2017
This looks stunning - very well done! I especially love the flowers on the table. The one thing I think I may do if I was in your position, is add a small pot and a real life utensil or two to the kitchen area
Josiegirl 02:41 AM 04-30-2017
I like it too. But I know just a little about Montessori. My advice would be to look on pinterest.
Pestle 06:25 AM 04-30-2017
Your wall clock is really neat!

One thing about Montessori is the focus on real-life experiences. They don't do role play, so you won't find a play kitchen or baby dolls in a genuine Montessori program. My daughter's toddler classroom was taught to use vegetable peelers--Montessori kids learn to use objects that most adults don't anticipate the kids being able to master.

Have you read any books on Montessori theory? There are a lot of day cares out there that call themselves "Montessori" because they keep their materials on trays, but there's an underlying philosophy of childhood development behind the choice of materials. If you know the theory, then you can decide how right each of the practices is for your own program, and where you want to flex a little.
CityGarden 03:46 PM 04-30-2017
I think your space is lovely as is but in the AMI certified Montessori classes I have not seen: train table, doll house, baby doll area, play kitchen, rocking horse, plastic table / chairs, train / toys style rug.

This is a pretty good list of Montessori 3-6 essentials: http://www.blog.montessoriforeveryon...classroom.html
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 05-01-2017
I think your space looks lovely and inviting.

The only suggestion I have is to place more floor cloths around areas so the kids can get the parts, pieces and items they want to play with and have a designated area where they can use these things.

Rugs and floor cloths are great visuals for the other kids too so they can see where someone else's work area is and isn't.
SunflowerMama 06:29 AM 05-01-2017
Thanks everyone for all the tips. I'm actually just leaning toward a Montessori-inspired program with other aspects as well. I just love the practical life lessons, independence and am really trying to do some reading and research to incorporate it in the most beneficial way for the kids!
CityGarden 08:53 PM 05-01-2017
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
Thanks everyone for all the tips. I'm actually just leaning toward a Montessori-inspired program with other aspects as well. I just love the practical life lessons, independence and am really trying to do some reading and research to incorporate it in the most beneficial way for the kids!
I am not a Montessori program (and would not want to be) but I really appreciate their practical life lessons and independence building as well.

Some of my favorite books that I feel were approachable and easy to implement when my dd was young were:

Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child by Maja Pitamic
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

How To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way by Tim Seldin
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Teaching Montessori in the Home: Pre-School Years: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There are certainly books on Montessori that are more in depth than these but I found these to be easy to read in a take what I want/need sort of way. I did read more in depth on the approach in college but I knew I was more drawn to Waldorf/Reggio - but both lacked the step by step "how" in terms of practical life skill development IMHO so I went to the books listed above.

Best of luck on your new program. I do think your space is lovely.
Josiegirl 02:49 AM 05-04-2017
I LOVE the table that's pictured on the right, where did you get that?
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 05-04-2017
CityGarden, I don't want to hijack this topic but am searching for ways to implement Waldorf lines of thinking into my CC(plus I'm doing a 2 page paper on Waldorf) . Would you recommend those book links or do you have other sources as well? You can PM if you'd like. I just sent for a book called Simplicity Parenting that I hope will help streamline the environment.
CityGarden 01:46 PM 05-04-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
CityGarden, I don't want to hijack this topic but am searching for ways to implement Waldorf lines of thinking into my CC(plus I'm doing a 2 page paper on Waldorf) . Would you recommend those book links or do you have other sources as well? You can PM if you'd like. I just sent for a book called Simplicity Parenting that I hope will help streamline the environment.
I would not suggest the books above for Waldorf. I love so much about Waldorf and was hoping others who run Waldorf based programs would have replied to your other thread.... I will reply on that thread so as not to hijack this one.
Reply Up