Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler Table Activities
Unregistered 06:07 AM 06-21-2016
I have a toddler sized table that I leave up in the main play area. I typically just have a puzzle or two set out on it. The first day I put out a new puzzle kids flock to it, but after that the table rarely gets used. I had the idea to put together some table activities or invitation to play ideas and put out something new each morning, but it would have to be appropriate for 1-3 year olds so no little pieces. Also, its on a carpeted area so nothing too messy...(playdoh, markers, etc would not be good options.) I know I'm asking a lot, but does anyone have any good ideas. I've thought of puzzles, shape sorters, magnetic dolls, and lacing cards. Any other ideas?
Thriftylady 06:38 AM 06-21-2016
Maybe blocks, cars, animals?
Unregistered 08:27 AM 06-21-2016
I do what I call the "featured toy". Most toys are on the shelves in bins, but before kids arrive, I set up one toy on our play rug. It might be the toy garage, cars, bridge, etc. Or a brio type train set. Or the doctor kits, hospital gowns, etc.

Some kids go to the featured toy immediately. Others use that time to go get their favorites from the shelves without so much competition.

I do this much more during the school year than in the summer, when we're mostly outside.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:51 AM 06-21-2016
-I have put contact paper sticky side up, tape down edges and give them items to arrange on it. foam shapes, Popsicle sticks etc.
-books
-nature items with magnifying glass. if you put them on a tray and teach them to leave them there they can learn to do it
-stringing beads/ lacing cards
-I have taped down abc placemats and then given them the abc magnets to match the letters.
-squishy bags taped down. freezer zipper bags/ hair gel/ glitter, beads etc in them.
-a tray with some paper towel rolls/ tp rolls and some larger pom poms.
- any laminated activity sheets I have done with velco pieces. so like file folder "games" I generally tape down the sheet
Reply Up