Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2016, 11:07 AM
NillaWafers's Avatar
NillaWafers NillaWafers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 593
Default Where to Draw the Line? (Illness Policy)

So my illness policy excludes on symptoms, not illnesses. I basically say if it's interrupting our day they have to stay home. DCG3 arrived here at 6:30 this morning and has already gone through a whole box of tissues. Every time she sneezes it's like the entire contents of her nose are expelled.

It's totally grossing me out, her mom says it's "allergies" but I'm highly doubting that as its summer and the other little girl I have has a runny nose too. She isn't sneezing every second and doesn't seem super bothered by it though.

Where do you say too much is too much? An entire box of tissues? Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 AM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

IMO that's excessive. I'm having a hard time with that too because once one kid has a runny nose they all do. I would have to say exclude. That's a lot of tissues to go through in one morning!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NillaWafers View Post
So my illness policy excludes on symptoms, not illnesses. I basically say if it's interrupting our day they have to stay home. DCG3 arrived here at 6:30 this morning and has already gone through a whole box of tissues. Every time she sneezes it's like the entire contents of her nose are expelled.

It's totally grossing me out, her mom says it's "allergies" but I'm highly doubting that as its summer and the other little girl I have has a runny nose too. She isn't sneezing every second and doesn't seem super bothered by it though.

Where do you say too much is too much? An entire box of tissues? Lol.
Without an allergy diagnosis from a Dr and a written plan for care management, mom can say its due to Blue Crayola Crayons... makes no difference to me the cause... the child would definitely be excluded.

ANY symptom that requires more care/attention than I am able to provide without compromising the care, safety and supervision of the other childre IS excluable in my program.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,751
Default

"allergies" is just another word for "teething" and is most often used by parents whos children are beyond the normal teething stage.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-01-2016, 11:41 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NillaWafers View Post
So my illness policy excludes on symptoms, not illnesses. I basically say if it's interrupting our day they have to stay home. DCG3 arrived here at 6:30 this morning and has already gone through a whole box of tissues. Every time she sneezes it's like the entire contents of her nose are expelled.

It's totally grossing me out, her mom says it's "allergies" but I'm highly doubting that as its summer and the other little girl I have has a runny nose too. She isn't sneezing every second and doesn't seem super bothered by it though.

Where do you say too much is too much? An entire box of tissues? Lol.
I would say that you're concerned and she needs to be seen by her Doctor to develop a treatment plan for her sudden onset of severe allergies. She can return upon the symptoms clearing up and with a written plan for how this will be handled should it re-occur.

I don't ever let kids in with cold-like symptoms claiming allergies anymore. I tell their parents their allergies need to be under control and that there are GREAT Doctors out there who specialize in this field and can help them. They stop claiming allergies after that because it does them no good and I'll refer them to an allergist and say they need a plan.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-01-2016, 11:52 AM
NillaWafers's Avatar
NillaWafers NillaWafers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 593
Default

Ok good, I sent her home and told her dad she either needed to be diagnosed with allergies and come up with a plan, or she's sick and needs to rest.

I normally allow mild runny noses and coughs cus if I excluded for all colds I would never have kids here haha. But this was beyond mild
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-01-2016, 12:29 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,667
Default

Different children react to allergies differently some will be stuffed up others will be runny like a faucet.

My dd loves to blow her nose until it is raw but she is just blowing and nothing is coming out because she tend to be the stuffed up type. That said we do have an amazing allergist and a detailed treatment plan. If my dd was excluded from school everytime she was blowing her nose more than normal she would miss half the year because I won't drug her until it is needed. (She has to take an allergy med with a steroid so I limit it to seasonally when she is truly bad)

That said, I would have sent that child home because you have no written documentation that it is allergies.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-01-2016, 12:49 PM
NillaWafers's Avatar
NillaWafers NillaWafers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGarden View Post
Different children react to allergies differently some will be stuffed up others will be runny like a faucet.

My dd loves to blow her nose until it is raw but she is just blowing and nothing is coming out because she tend to be the stuffed up type. That said we do have an amazing allergist and a detailed treatment plan. If my dd was excluded from school everytime she was blowing her nose more than normal she would miss half the year because I won't drug her until it is needed. (She has to take an allergy med with a steroid so I limit it to seasonally when she is truly bad)

That said, I would have sent that child home because you have no written documentation that it is allergies.
Honestly, if she was just sneezing I wouldn't care but every time she sneezed, it was all over her hands, shirt, and face. Try cleaning up that mess 30-40x in 5 hours haha.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-01-2016, 01:05 PM
DanceMom's Avatar
DanceMom DanceMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 351
Default

My son gets SEVERE allergies in the spring and still has them today - his nose runs like a faucet,sneezes like crazy, bad sore throat and extremely red puffy eyes - I always have to send a note to school that he does not have pink eye) it's awful !! I agree though that child needs to be seen to get on a plan (as we did with my son). Ya never know if it's something else.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-01-2016, 01:07 PM
NillaWafers's Avatar
NillaWafers NillaWafers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMom View Post
My son gets SEVERE allergies in the spring and still has them today - his nose runs like a faucet,sneezes like crazy, bad sore throat and extremely red puffy eyes - I always have to send a note to school that he does not have pink eye) it's awful !! I agree though that child needs to be seen to get on a plan (as we did with my son). Ya never know if it's something else.
Exactly! She needs meds if it's gonna be that severe. Hopefully it is allergies and she will just be put on clairitin or something.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-01-2016, 02:13 PM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMom View Post
My son gets SEVERE allergies in the spring and still has them today - his nose runs like a faucet,sneezes like crazy, bad sore throat and extremely red puffy eyes - I always have to send a note to school that he does not have pink eye) it's awful !! I agree though that child needs to be seen to get on a plan (as we did with my son). Ya never know if it's something else.
I just don't understand why any parent would let their child suffer right? I know when my allergies get bad, it can be so uncomfortable. Unfortunately all my 'allergy' cases have just been a cold....which turned into really bad croup for my son causing us to go to the ER Monday night. Had to do daycare off of a couple hours of sleep. I'm tightening my exclusions...again.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Mandy's Avatar
Mandy Mandy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: TN and SC :)
Posts: 139
Default

I know others have said this already, but I wanted to chime in too. A whole box of tissues that the kid already used up in one morning definitely means something needs to be looked at. I hope the parents get her to the doctor and that they have a plan in place
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-01-2016, 05:31 PM
thrivingchildcarecom's Avatar
thrivingchildcarecom thrivingchildcarecom is offline
thrivingchildcare.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Without an allergy diagnosis from a Dr and a written plan for care management, mom can say its due to Blue Crayola Crayons... makes no difference to me the cause... the child would definitely be excluded.

ANY symptom that requires more care/attention than I am able to provide without compromising the care, safety and supervision of the other childre IS excluable in my program.
I like that blackcat! Maybe we should include that very statement!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-01-2016, 05:39 PM
BabyMonkeys's Avatar
BabyMonkeys BabyMonkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Without an allergy diagnosis from a Dr and a written plan for care management, mom can say its due to Blue Crayola Crayons... makes no difference to me the cause... the child would definitely be excluded.
That literally made me laugh out loud
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-01-2016, 06:04 PM
NillaWafers's Avatar
NillaWafers NillaWafers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 593
Default

Thanks for the advice. Mom texted me after work and DCG has, guess what, a summer cold. She won't be coming in tomorrow.

I, however, am getting a sore throat
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-02-2016, 06:16 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is offline
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Next door
Posts: 2,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
"allergies" is just another word for "teething" and is most often used by parents whos children are beyond the normal teething stage.
So I had DMC come in telling me the dcb has allergies since he spent all day out side with her, going outside with me does not worsen the syptoms. Dcb is teething and has a cold, it is minor syptoms, wiping hourly, no cough. In a case like this would you correct DCM?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-02-2016, 07:38 AM
NillaWafers's Avatar
NillaWafers NillaWafers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 593
Default

I think I'm going to put in my handbook that if you say your kid has allergies, it must come with a doctors note. Otherwise, lets assume it's a cold >_<
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
So I had DMC come in telling me the dcb has allergies since he spent all day out side with her, going outside with me does not worsen the syptoms. Dcb is teething and has a cold, it is minor syptoms, wiping hourly, no cough. In a case like this would you correct DCM?
Nope. Because parents can label anything their kid has in any way they want. My ONLY concern is whether their symptoms interfere with my ability to provide care and supervision to the others.

Mom can say teething, cold or allergies...she can say whatever word she wants and my actions would still be the same.

So, no I would not correct mom's terminology.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-02-2016, 11:42 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
So I had DMC come in telling me the dcb has allergies since he spent all day out side with her, going outside with me does not worsen the syptoms. Dcb is teething and has a cold, it is minor syptoms, wiping hourly, no cough. In a case like this would you correct DCM?
I do. I always smile and say, "Oh yes, we have a slight cold going around. I'll let you know if it gets worse and he needs to be picked up. "
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Illness Policy kelliskiddiekare New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! 3 12-29-2014 02:05 PM
I Need Advice On Illness Policy... fitsngiggles18 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 12-07-2014 05:43 PM
Would Anyone Be Willing To Share Their Illness Policy? Zoe Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 11-27-2012 04:08 PM
Re Wording Illness Policy clep Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 09-27-2012 07:59 AM
Illness Policy And Vent...Long, Sorry melskids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 01-31-2011 08:34 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming