Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastfeeding Question
lovemykidstoo 05:37 PM 12-17-2017
I have a 3 month old dcb that is strictly breastfed. HIs mom said that the lactation person and her doctor said that he should be eating 1 to 1.5 ounces of breastmilk for every hour. So if he eats every 3 hours it would be a bottle of 3 to 4 1/2 ounces of milk. He seems like he wants way more than that. That seems like very little imo. Does anyone have experience in that? I did not breastfeed my 2 kids. On formula though at that age, we fed more than that at a time and therefore they could go longer between feedings.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 06:20 PM 12-17-2017
Not an expert, but did breastfeed. I would take into consideration the total amount of ounces he's getting in 24 hours, as well as, his temperment. The lactaton people will tell the mom: "You need to educate the daycare that this is all he needs. They will push for more ounces, but you have to educate them."

Some mom's will produce enough to provide more if you request it. Some moms will struggle with those 10-12 ounces a day to give the provider. Those moms will feel put in the middle and helpless.

I was the type that struggled to produce more. With dd those 3 ounce bottles were plenty, she did great. With ds he screamed for more. I listened to the lactation "experts" and insisted to my provider that he did not need more, and there had to be another way to calm him. Afterall, he did not have this problem when he was with me. When I finally caved and started supplementing, he was suddenly a different baby for my provider and I felt soooo guilty for not doing it sooner.

So moral of the story, is that it could very well be enough. And if it's not, don't be surprised if mom resists at first. Be gentle, but insistent of this is the case.
lovemykidstoo 06:59 PM 12-17-2017
So she is going to send between 9 to 13.5 ounces a day. He's here from 7:30 to 3:45. He's been eating more than that here now and feeding every 3 hours. His temperment is good when he's full but when he's hungry he screams. So now I"m going to give him less food but she wants me to do the pace feeding method she said. Where you give him 1/2, then burp him for 5 to 10 minutes and then feed him the rest. That way his brain can know he's full. Because i don't have any other children to sit there for that length of time to do a bottle. She's going to talk to the doctor on the 29th to see about giving him really watery cereal when he turns 4 months. oi
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 07:11 PM 12-17-2017
Why not just supplement with formula and do bigger bottles instead a cereal filler? Is the cereal more beneficial in some way? (Not meant to sound smarty, I'm genuinely curious.)
Ariana 07:23 PM 12-17-2017
I breastfed two babies ad feeding every 3 hours is something I didn’t do until later. Maybe start feeding him every two hours instead? He might be getting over hungry and then over eating at the feed time. I would also ask for more milk. I breastfed for as long as I needed to so there is no way I know how many ounces my kids got but they both only fed for 5-10 minutes at each feed.
lovemykidstoo 07:26 PM 12-17-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I breastfed two babies ad feeding every 3 hours is something I didn’t do until later. Maybe start feeding him every two hours instead? He might be getting over hungry and then over eating at the feed time. I would also ask for more milk. I breastfed for as long as I needed to so there is no way I know how many ounces my kids got but they both only fed for 5-10 minutes at each feed.
She told me he feeds for 45 minutes on each side. So you telling me he's only getting 3 to 4 ounces in that time? (not you, her lol)
lovemykidstoo 07:25 PM 12-17-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
Why not just supplement with formula and do bigger bottles instead a cereal filler? Is the cereal more beneficial in some way? (Not meant to sound smarty, I'm genuinely curious.)
She wants to do breastmilk exclusively for 1 year, no formula.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 07:52 AM 12-18-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
She wants to do breastmilk exclusively for 1 year, no formula.
I find that fascinating. That one thing doesn't "count" toward her being able to say "Oh yes, we breastfed exclusively" and another does. Either way she's supplementing. And if that's the only reason, it sounds like this more about her than him, imo.
Tags:breastfeeding
Reply Up