Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well This Stinks
Zoe 09:03 AM 12-16-2011
So yesterday I was in such a great mood. I had just filed the paperwork for the 2 month old who is starting full-time in January. Things are finally starting to look up for us financially now that we FINALLY have a full-timer.

Then dcm comes to pick up dcb who's 9 months old and tells me that her boyfriend is flunking out of all his classes (they're both in college) and won't be in school for at least a year and they only really need care next semester for a couple hours one day a week. Great.

She also failed to tell me that yesterday was her last day so I'm sitting here waiting for him as he's the only one I have on Fridays. Never shows up. So I call her and find out he's not coming. She will be by in an hour to pick up the Christmas present I have for him.

Well, I've been really struggling with this. I'm basically losing this infant spot to have a child who is held to sleep at home come only one day a week. Is it just me, or is that just setting both myself and the child up for trouble!?

DCD doesn't want the kid to cry so he is held to sleep and can not really fall asleep by himself. I've got him to do it here, but I highly doubt that after the 3 week school break and then only coming 1 day a week he won't nap here. And I'm gonna have a newborn to care for!

Should I just tell her that it's not going to work unless she brings him at least 3 days a week, which I know is pointless?

I hate to turn her away but I feel that I need to look out for my business. I've been getting countless calls for infants and turned them all down. Now it turns out I maybe might have an opening. Infants spots are priceless here.

Advice please?
daycare 09:10 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
So yesterday I was in such a great mood. I had just filed the paperwork for the 2 month old who is starting full-time in January. Things are finally starting to look up for us financially now that we FINALLY have a full-timer.

Then dcm comes to pick up dcb who's 9 months old and tells me that her boyfriend is flunking out of all his classes (they're both in college) and won't be in school for at least a year and they only really need care next semester for a couple hours one day a week. Great.

She also failed to tell me that yesterday was her last day so I'm sitting here waiting for him as he's the only one I have on Fridays. Never shows up. So I call her and find out he's not coming. She will be by in an hour to pick up the Christmas present I have for him.

Well, I've been really struggling with this. I'm basically losing this infant spot to have a child who is held to sleep at home come only one day a week. Is it just me, or is that just setting both myself and the child up for trouble!?

DCD doesn't want the kid to cry so he is held to sleep and can not really fall asleep by himself. I've got him to do it here, but I highly doubt that after the 3 week school break and then only coming 1 day a week he won't nap here. And I'm gonna have a newborn to care for!

Should I just tell her that it's not going to work unless she brings him at least 3 days a week, which I know is pointless?

I hate to turn her away but I feel that I need to look out for my business. I've been getting countless calls for infants and turned them all down. Now it turns out I maybe might have an opening. Infants spots are priceless here.

Advice please?
for children under 2 I have a required 3 days or more a week attendance. It's way too hard even doing it that way, but much much easier than one day a week here and there.

Expalin to the mom how:
1. the child will be miserable because there will be no routine in his schedule or consistency. there is no greater fear than the fear of the unknown. If a child does not know what to expect then he can only fear.

2. You will never be able to gain more business because you will never be able to find someone who only needs those exact days off the child has.

I know how hard it is to have to do this, but they won't be doing their child any favors if they really think that the child will be able to attend one day of care a week with no backlash.....
Zoe 12:52 PM 12-16-2011
Thanks daycare. My hands were shaking when I told her. I felt so bad but it is better both for the child as well as financially for me. DCM understood, but you could tell she was disappointed.

She said that when her boyfriend goes back to school she'll give me a call. I really hope she does. I love that family!
sharlan 01:14 PM 12-16-2011
I think it would be so hard for a child that age to acclimate to a couple of hours once a week.

I agree with daycare, three days a week minimum for that age.
Christian Mother 01:15 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:

Advice please?
Honey, something similar happened to me last yr where the mom let me know that she would not be having her son in daycare after she had her baby. She decided on a Fri. with out even giving notice to pull him saying well that is our last day... I asked her if he will be back and she said yes but maybe 1 day here and there and I stopped her right there telling her that I would ashually need to replace him with another dck bc I could not go with out income and even on the on chance that he did come 1 a week that wasn't a guarantee that he wld. I told her that what I would do is continue to take him until I found a replacement for him. He ended up not here for 2 wks and then with in 2 wks I found a part timer who would come 3 days a week. I switched the child that gave notice to drop in status and he cld come if I had room. At this time I am full. My 1 1/2 mo old started today full time. My part time 5 1/2 month comes 3-4 days a wk but because mom is in retail I've had her 4-5 days out of the week. My other full timer is a sibling to new baby and the other is almost full time. Comes 4 days out of the week. The days that the parents aren't here my drop in takes. It's been kind of diff. for her though bc she would now like more but I don't have the room. I wish I could help her out but I need a steady and I mean dependable income.

What I would do is tell mom next time you talk that you've had to think on it more but that at this time you will need to drop her child down to drop in and what ever new rate that goes along with it. Advise that you will need to interview for their spot as this is a huge loss in income for you. If they are upset you can tell her that she can pay for holding a spot for their child. that way their child will always have a spot available at daycare. If not well they lose out..daycare isn't at their beck and call. You need to do what you feel is right for you and your biz as well as family. Start advertising...you'll be noticing that people will be looking right now more then when they where. I am sure you fill that spot quickly!
LittleCrawfishCC 08:05 PM 12-16-2011
Haha, I love how she came and dropped by for the Christmas present. Wow, what nerve some people have! That sounds like one I had, Schedule changed 3 weeks before Christmas, but still wanted to come to the Christmas party and get their gifts, needless to say, two days later they were back at walmart. Ugh I must say, sometimes I am cold hearted :-(
frgsonmysox 10:13 PM 12-16-2011
Thats why I wrote into the contract a minimum amount that is due regardless of whether they utilize those hours or not. I'm only taking 3 kids in, I can't afford to only do an hour here and there.

On a side note - why is it such a big deal how a parent chooses to parent their own child at home? I understand it makes it harder for you, but if a parent wishes to hold their child all the time that is their prerogative to make. I wouldn't tell a daycare parent to hold their child more or less, or how to parent because it's not my concern.
Country Kids 11:53 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:
Thats why I wrote into the contract a minimum amount that is due regardless of whether they utilize those hours or not. I'm only taking 3 kids in, I can't afford to only do an hour here and there.

On a side note - why is it such a big deal how a parent chooses to parent their own child at home? I understand it makes it harder for you, but if a parent wishes to hold their child all the time that is their prerogative to make. I wouldn't tell a daycare parent to hold their child more or less, or how to parent because it's not my concern.
Just wait till you get your dck's!!!! Remember that you have them 9-10 hours a day and on top of that your own kids also. So when the little one is screaming because all mom and dad do at home is hold them, feed them junk food, sleep with them, put them on the highest pedestal possible and then your not able to do that at childcare that is when reality sets in. Also, remember when the child is doing that and then your own children want held or something but the daycare child is screaming because they can't sleep, their tired, hungry what ever who do you choose?
Abigail 06:05 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Just wait till you get your dck's!!!! Remember that you have them 9-10 hours a day and on top of that your own kids also. So when the little one is screaming because all mom and dad do at home is hold them, feed them junk food, sleep with them, put them on the highest pedestal possible and then your not able to do that at childcare that is when reality sets in. Also, remember when the child is doing that and then your own children want held or something but the daycare child is screaming because they can't sleep, their tired, hungry what ever who do you choose?
LOL, so glad I don't have kids of my own yet.
Zoe 11:32 AM 12-19-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:

frgsonmysox, I understand that you really don't like the CIO method, but I'm not saying anything like that. My issue is that this child will no longer know me, will not be used to my home, and will never get the chance to know it if he's only here for a few hours. I really wish you'd read my post carefully before accusing me of telling a parent how to parent. I never did any of that.

And it isn't about the money, I don't charge per hour. It's about the poor child who just wouldn't be able to adjust to daycare.
Zoe 11:34 AM 12-19-2011
Originally Posted by LittleCrawfishCC:
Haha, I love how she came and dropped by for the Christmas present. Wow, what nerve some people have! That sounds like one I had, Schedule changed 3 weeks before Christmas, but still wanted to come to the Christmas party and get their gifts, needless to say, two days later they were back at walmart. Ugh I must say, sometimes I am cold hearted :-(
Actually, I asked her to stop by because I had a present for dcb and I really wanted him to have it. Had I known that Thursday was his last day I would've given it to him then.

But I get what you're saying. Some people do really only care about themselves. This, fortunately, was not the case here.
Zoe 11:35 AM 12-19-2011

Originally Posted by Country Kids:

Tags:part time care, part time family
Reply Up