Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For All You Ladies Or Men Who Said You Won't Take Infants Anymore...
melilley 11:11 AM 03-25-2013
I now know why you have said that! I love, love, love babies, but I am quickly realizing that in the future after the 7 mo. old that I have now leaves, that I won't take any more children under 12 months! ( I do have my own son who is 8 months, but he is a super easy baby!) For me it just isn't working out! The baby I have cries a lot and it's hard with my mixed age group! Half of the time the older children who take a scheduled nap don't sleep very long because of the baby so there goes any kind of break. It was so easy when I worked in a center and had 6-12 babies in the room, but there were 2-3 teachers in the room! If I could have all babies then that would be great, but I can't. I rarely ever have any kind of break or down time! Not that I need a big one, just a few minutes please! So, I think that if this baby leaves in the summer, I will not take any more babies! I have a waiting list (well 2 babies), but I'm afraid I will have to tell them no. Ok, I think I'm done now! Thanks for listening!

By the way, for those of you who have mixed age groups with a baby or two, how do your days go?
Heidi 11:19 AM 03-25-2013
She's 7 months old...I'd have her on the same nap schedule as everyone else by now, with the addition of a morning nap. It would be something like 9-10 am for morning nap, then 12:30-3 pm nap. That would make your life so much easier!

The little one I have here is 3 months, and she is almost there...most days she sleeps the whole nap time.
MNMum 11:25 AM 03-25-2013
I'm there with ya! I also love, love, love babies. I'm a NICU nurse and have worked with them forever. It is too hard trying to meet their needs and the other kids. The baby ends up crying a lot and I can't stand it. I've decided I need to do the tough love thing and get him on a schedule. He napped 20 minutes this morning, hopefully he will sleep three hours this afternoon. I am due with my own baby in July, so I won't be taking any other infants for at least 18 mos to 2 years. I really do not know how providers do it with 2 infants...
LK5kids 11:30 AM 03-25-2013
I'm not taking babies under one after this wee one gets older either! It will be kids 1 yr and up. I barely get any break! My dcb is 3 1/2 mo. A real easy baby ( tho he only sleeps in 15 min. Or 1/2 hour increments), & a real sweetie! But I am done after this! He is really tired today, and fussy. He is so tired and keeps rubbing his eyes.

I have tried and tried getting him on a better sleep schedule, but nothing works. He just won't stay asleep. Soft sound cd, darkened room, sleep sack....15 min. To half hour cat naps. I put him down while awake, and he will gp to sleep on his own. That is one good thing!
melilley 11:32 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
I'm there with ya! I also love, love, love babies. I'm a NICU nurse and have worked with them forever. It is too hard trying to meet their needs and the other kids. The baby ends up crying a lot and I can't stand it. I've decided I need to do the tough love thing and get him on a schedule. He napped 20 minutes this morning, hopefully he will sleep three hours this afternoon. I am due with my own baby in July, so I won't be taking any other infants for at least 18 mos to 2 years. I really do not know how providers do it with 2 infants...
Awww, what a great job! It wouldn't be so bad if they were all infants! I do agree with You and Heidi to try and get the crying baby on a schedule, I have not thought of doing that! He does sleep in the morning, but then is up at nap. Maybe if I keep him up? I have 2 infants, but my son is the easiest baby ever. I'm not just saying that because he is mine, but he really is! Congratulations on your baby! My son was born July 20th-go July babies!
melilley 11:34 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
She's 7 months old...I'd have her on the same nap schedule as everyone else by now, with the addition of a morning nap. It would be something like 9-10 am for morning nap, then 12:30-3 pm nap. That would make your life so much easier!

The little one I have here is 3 months, and she is almost there...most days she sleeps the whole nap time.
I have not thought of doing that! I have always done the sleep on demand, but I may just have to get him on some schedule! He does sleep for a while in the morning, but maybe if I don't let him sleep as long, he will nap at 12:30 (that's my nap time too). Thanks!
nannyde 01:28 PM 03-25-2013
I love love love love love love babies. I wish I could do birth to two for a living.
Blackcat31 01:31 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I love love love love love love babies. I wish I could do birth to two for a living.
Well then get up here....I'll take the 2 and up as soon as you're done with them.

You'll have to move here because we have more moose than you

Granted they are dying off, but we still have more than you
NeedaVaca 01:38 PM 03-25-2013
I made the decision starting out that I wouldn't take under 12 months. I really felt I would be pulled in too many directions. I wanted all the kids to be doing the same things and be on the same feeding & eating schedules. I love 12 month and up, it's what works for me
cheerfuldom 01:43 PM 03-25-2013
I dont do babies for daycare anymore. My youngest daycare kid right now is 2.5 and I dont take kids under 2. There are some babies that I like more than others but for the most part, all of them have crying and napping issues of some sort. Its just the nature of things when they are away from their moms all day. I personally think that the ideal of having mom and baby together is WAAAYYY better than daycare. I understand thats not a very popular idea for todays parents. I think baby with one caregiver, preferably a relative, that is very attached and tuned in with baby's needs is second option, again, way better than daycare.

I know a very rare few ladies, like Nan, that enjoy babies (I am taking about the under 1 crowd) but the vast majority of home daycare providers do not take babies, or take them but wish they didnt have to. I can think of about 6 local providers right now that I know that take babies and do not enjoy it at all.

all this to say, you are not alone OP! I do think some routine is best for babies but there is only so much you can do. Some kids really do need a lot more attention and you just cant get that at daycare. Either you term or you just deal with the disruption that some kids bring. we cant solve everything.
Starburst 01:49 PM 03-25-2013
My favorite age groups are infants and preschoolers. If I could I would start with all young babies from the beginning and try to keep the same group until they age out at 12 years old because I like the idea of having children grow with my program and being able to be a constant teacher/ caregiver in their early childhood to ealry adolecence. But in a perfect world they would stay babies the whole time , I start losing patience when they get to school age but I wouldnt mind having them for a only a few hours a day (3 hours) espesually if they have infant siblings- I think it would be easier if the child has been in my care since they were a baby than if they just came from another program or never been to daycare.

I plan on advertising for infants that are at least 6 months only because I am terrified of SIDS and there is a lower risk at that age, though if an enrolled family had another baby I would probably take them at a younger age, if they requested me too and if I had room- I'm a sucker for babies.
Heidi 02:40 PM 03-25-2013
I thought going back to daycare two years ago that I would not want young babies because the SIDS thing scared me a little. I have to say, though, that I've really enjoyed getting this one at 6 weeks. I think if I had my way, I'd get them all at 6 weeks and full-time. I'm not sure that I'd argue that's what's best for the baby and mama, but it's what's best for me . I didn't have any bad habits to break, so it's been pretty smooth sailing with this little girl, other than a 2-day glitch last week. She sleeps, she drinks, she gets fresh diapers, she gets cuddles, and she plays..and plays...and plays.
Lyss 02:42 PM 03-25-2013
I love babies but as my group gets older I really don't want to go back to the under 12mos age BUT I've got a new infant starting next month at just under 3 months I'm starting to worry what I have gotten myself into!

I love being able to be mobile with my group, field trips are so much fun with them and I have memberships up the wahzoo (sp?) to local places (museums, zoo, indoor playgrounds...) and I'm not looking forward to the infant in tow or having to avoid them because of the infant.

But I LOVE this family, their older DD aged out of my program about a year ago and mom has had this spot reserved since I got notice my difficult DCP was leaving. They are amazing DCPs; Pay on time & very friendly/respectful!!
Blackcat31 02:44 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
My favorite age groups are infants and preschoolers. If I could I would start with all young babies from the beginning and try to keep the same group until they age out at 12 years old because I like the idea of having children grow with my program and being able to be a constant teacher/ caregiver in their early childhood to ealry adolecence. But in a perfect world they would stay babies the whole time , I start losing patience when they get to school age but I wouldnt mind having them for a only a few hours a day (3 hours) espesually if they have infant siblings- I think it would be easier if the child has been in my care since they were a baby than if they just came from another program or never been to daycare.

I plan on advertising for infants that are at least 6 months only because I am terrified of SIDS and there is a lower risk at that age, though if an enrolled family had another baby I would probably take them at a younger age, if they requested me too and if I had room- I'm a sucker for babies.
The idea is a good one but actually caring for a mixed age group from birth to age 12 is a whole 'nother ball game.

It IS easier to care for a child you have had since birth as you are able to manage their routines much easier, however having a span of 12 years of kids to care for is really not that easy.

The space between the developmental milestones from birth to age 12 years is so wide that you will find that is the sole reason that most providers try to limit the ages they accept into care.
Lyss 03:00 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The idea is a good one but actually caring for a mixed age group from birth to age 12 is a whole 'nother ball game.

It IS easier to care for a child you have had since birth as you are able to manage their routines much easier, however having a span of 12 years of kids to care for is really not that easy.

The space between the developmental milestones from birth to age 12 years is so wide that you will find that is the sole reason that most providers try to limit the ages they accept into care .
Sounds scary to me!! Dealing with infants and entertaining SA at the same time?! Especially when I think of the 8-12 range! Starburst has the patience that I don't!

I could be wrong (sorry if I am) but I think she had something about having different rooms so maybe it would be more in a center type atmosphere she is meaning. That I can totally see but one home with that mixed of ages would drive me batty!
Starburst 03:16 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
Sounds scary to me!! Dealing with infants and entertaining SA at the same time?! Especially when I think of the 8-12 range! Starburst has the patience that I don't!

I could be wrong (sorry if I am) but I think she had something about having different rooms so maybe it would be more in a center type atmosphere she is meaning. That I can totally see but one home with that mixed of ages would drive me batty!
I haven't started yet but I have thought about trying to have rooms that are dedicated particularly for infants and rooms that are dedicated for school age. At the daycare I used to work at she had children all these ages and also had 2 assistants at any given time if she was full (that would help alot) most of the after schoolers were girls who liked to help with the little ones and help with activities. Who knows after a few years I may not even want to take after schoolers or only I may take schoolers that I have had in my program since infanthood/preschool but no new after schoolers.

Depending on schedules the infants and toddlers may be picked up by a certain time (espesually if they are teacher's kids) and I may only have preschooler, kinders, and schoolers in the afternoon. Plus at least the first 1/2 hour to an hour that they are off from school they will need to do homework and I may also try to make sure they have some silent reading time (about 1/2 hour to an hour depending on the parents). I also been thinking about having some type of "after school club" theme like catillion, music/dance, or some type of academic (reading/science/ ASL or second language) club.
Blackcat31 03:28 PM 03-25-2013
I haven't started yet but I have thought about trying to have rooms that are dedicated particularly for infants and rooms that are dedicated for school age. At the daycare I used to work at she had children all these ages and also had 2 assistants at any given time if she was full (that would help alot) most of the after schoolers were girls who liked to help with the little ones and help with activities. Who knows after a few years I may not even want to take after schoolers or only I may take schoolers that I have had in my program since infanthood/preschool but no new after schoolers. .
As a parent, I would NOT want an enrolled school age child being hands on with my child.

The liability involved with allowing one DCK to assist a younger one is far to great to get into.

I do have separate rooms for the age groups but again, unless you have staff to man each room, it is virtually impossible to accommodate such a wide age gap for long periods of time. I mean it IS doable, just that many providers don't do it for long.

I do admire your willingness though. Hopefully, you will save everything (ideas etc) you have planned now so that when you get a few years under your belt of doing actual hands-on care as your own boss, you will be able to look back and see how so many things are great in theory but not so great in practice.
Lyss 03:43 PM 03-25-2013
I haven't started yet but I have thought about trying to have rooms that are dedicated particularly for infants and rooms that are dedicated for school age. At the daycare I used to work at she had children all these ages and also had 2 assistants at any given time if she was full (that would help alot) most of the after schoolers were girls who liked to help with the little ones and help with activities. Who knows after a few years I may not even want to take after schoolers or only I may take schoolers that I have had in my program since infanthood/preschool but no new after schoolers.

Depending on schedules the infants and toddlers may be picked up by a certain time (espesually if they are teacher's kids) and I may only have preschooler, kinders, and schoolers in the afternoon. Plus at least the first 1/2 hour to an hour that they are off from school they will need to do homework and I may also try to make sure they have some silent reading time (about 1/2 hour to an hour depending on the parents). I also been thinking about having some type of "after school club" theme like catillion, music/dance, or some type of academic (reading/science/ ASL or second language) club.
So I assume with multiple rooms, you'd have assistants like the place you were talking about that you worked? That may definitely make it easier!

I think it will really all depend on what kids and schedules you end up with. If you are by yourself I would definitely recommend moving cautiously in the beginning (as I'm sure you plan to) when enrolling certain ages with others. Some parents are not ok with older kids mixed in, but some sib sets may find it appealing.

I wish my teacher's picked up their kids early! Mine are here til 5:00 and 5:45
Lyss 03:53 PM 03-25-2013
Hopefully, you will save everything (ideas etc) you have planned now so that when you get a few years under your belt of doing actual hands-on care as your own boss, you will be able to look back and see how so many things are great in theory but not so great in practice.
I had such grand ideas! Man was I naive, mainly about things like interactions with parents (they're all so nice right?!) and there were so many things I was gonna do! I wish I had found this forum PRIOR to starting!
MNMum 03:55 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I dont do babies for daycare anymore. My youngest daycare kid right now is 2.5 and I dont take kids under 2. There are some babies that I like more than others but for the most part, all of them have crying and napping issues of some sort. Its just the nature of things when they are away from their moms all day. I personally think that the ideal of having mom and baby together is WAAAYYY better than daycare. I understand thats not a very popular idea for todays parents. I think baby with one caregiver, preferably a relative, that is very attached and tuned in with baby's needs is second option, again, way better than daycare.
My thoughts exactly.
cheerfuldom 03:56 PM 03-25-2013
also, a lot of school agers require the same if not more supervision than preschoolers. you would think that age is easier but a lot of time its not. you shouldnt have separate rooms unless you have the assistance to maintain supervision at all times.
daycarediva 11:29 AM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

I know a very rare few ladies, like Nan, that enjoy babies (I am taking about the under 1 crowd) but the vast majority of home daycare providers do not take babies, or take them but wish they didnt have to. I can think of about 6 local providers right now that I know that take babies and do not enjoy it at all.

all this to say, you are not alone OP! I do think some routine is best for babies but there is only so much you can do. Some kids really do need a lot more attention and you just cant get that at daycare. Either you term or you just deal with the disruption that some kids bring. we cant solve everything.
^ that.

I don't believe babies belong in daycare/large group setting.

I also don't take babies anymore. 2+.

I actually have a wonderful 2.5 year old that I TERMED as a baby. Mom was a SAHM until he could come back to my program. Why? He was a miserable baby without Mom, and I was honest when I termed. "Baby would be happier home with you, BY FAR, if this was my child, and there was ANY WAY I could make it work to stay home, I would do it." I did tell her that second to that, a nanny would be my next choice. They tried two other home daycares and one center before Mom emailed me "OMG YOU WERE RIGHT!" since a nanny would have been 80% of her pay, she decided just to stay home until he was ready. He SOOOO is now and does amazing without Mom.

Every child is different, and what works for one won't work for another. That being said, I STILL whole heartedly believe that babies belong with Mom.
Heidi 12:23 PM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
^ that.

I actually have a wonderful 2.5 year old that I TERMED as a baby. Mom was a SAHM until he could come back to my program. Why? He was a miserable baby without Mom, and I was honest when I termed. "Baby would be happier home with you, BY FAR, if this was my child, and there was ANY WAY I could make it work to stay home, I would do it." I did tell her that second to that, a nanny would be my next choice. They tried two other home daycares and one center before Mom emailed me "OMG YOU WERE RIGHT!" since a nanny would have been 80% of her pay, she decided just to stay home until he was ready. He SOOOO is now and does amazing without Mom.

Every child is different, and what works for one won't work for another. That being said, I STILL whole heartedly believe that babies belong with Mom.
I totally agree...or with me!

It IS the reason I started daycare...so my babies could be home with me.
kitykids3 12:29 PM 03-26-2013
I just got a 3 month old and this one makes me want to not take anymore. In fact, I am close to telling the parents that they might have to look for care elsewhere. He cries almost all the time and even with 2 of us here, it is still stressful days. This is his 3rd week. We'll see how it goes. Normally I love babies, but it is hard with 6-7 other kids, all different ages.
just_peachy 12:56 PM 03-26-2013
I watch 7 kids total, all friends of mines' kids. I have known them all since birth and 3 of them have been with me since infancy. The youngest is 2 in May now, and I would never go back! I say it all the time. Babies are cute, but big kids are FUN!!

Now I'm deathly afraid one of them will get pregnant again. I wouldn't term over it, but in my brain I am hoping they all wait a looooong time!
Starburst 11:45 PM 03-29-2013
As a parent, I would NOT want an enrolled school age child being hands on with my child.

The liability involved with allowing one DCK to assist a younger one is far to great to get into.
They weren't really "hands on" as in like lifting/holding/carrying them, change their diapers/help on the potty, being in charge of them (like giving out punishments, conflict resolution, or supervising children without an adult) or anything like that. I meant helping us out with the little ones by setting up for simple activities/games, decorating for holidays/birthdays/graduations/other daycare events, passing out snacks, helping to clean up and organize the toys, and sing/dance with or read to the younger kids once in a while. I think the most 'hands on' things they did was helping us by helping put the shoes on the toddlers/preschoolers before going outside (and they were always supervised by an adult). It was more about helping the assistants and provider by role modeling positive behaviors and actions to the younger children. It also teaches the SACs about responsibility and taking pride in what you do.

I would NEVER let a DCK pick up or have any responsibility over another DCK (just like I wouldn't even let a DC parent hold or disipline another DCFs child if the parent is not present)- even if they were the older sibling of a baby I would still be weary about letting them carry them around during daycare without their parents around. It drives me nuts when the older kids (preschoolers and older) get up in the babies' faces or when they would try to pick up the babies and toddlers (note to self: add that to pet peeve thread).

I'm sure there will be somethings in the future I may change my mind about but I will never know if its a good idea or not until I try them.

Originally Posted by Lyss:
So I assume with multiple rooms, you'd have assistants like the place you were talking about that you worked? That may definitely make it easier!

I think it will really all depend on what kids and schedules you end up with. If you are by yourself I would definitely recommend moving cautiously in the beginning (as I'm sure you plan to) when enrolling certain ages with others. Some parents are not ok with older kids mixed in, but some sib sets may find it appealing.
Well the kids weren't confined to seperate rooms but the rooms had age appropraite toys for those age groups so only children those ages (sometimes older but rarely ever younger kids) would be allowed to play in there (there was a regular play room where all kids could go [dramatic play/reading/tv room], a baby room, and a big kid room) there were no assistants that were assigned to a particular group of children. Some things were out in the open for all kids ages 3 and up (like the lego table in one of the dining rooms). Though for the babies and smaller toddlers there would usually be one assistant that would be watching them in the baby room. And there was usually the same assistant that picked up the after schoolers and sometimes took them for a walk to the park down the street in the afternoon if it was too hectic in the house during the summer. I think it all depends on your area and I think that some parents that are there longer hours may appriciate that you take after schoolers so they don't have to worry about finding another provider when their kids are older- some may not like it but as many have said on this board before my services cannot please everyone and my program is not a perfect fit for everyone.
TheGoodLife 01:59 AM 03-30-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Awww, what a great job! It wouldn't be so bad if they were all infants! I do agree with You and Heidi to try and get the crying baby on a schedule, I have not thought of doing that! He does sleep in the morning, but then is up at nap. Maybe if I keep him up? I have 2 infants, but my son is the easiest baby ever. I'm not just saying that because he is mine, but he really is! Congratulations on your baby! My son was born July 20th-go July babies!
Woo Hoo- mine is July 6th! I also watched my friend's baby who was born in June and it was great- I worried so much bout having 2 newborns but both slept when my older kids slept and were both the easiest. But it's a schedule you have to work to get, and it depends on the baby! I wish I could do 12 mos. and older, I advertised that way for a while but still got mostly I can't calls
cheerfuldom 12:18 PM 03-30-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
^ that.

exactly my thought. i really struggled for a long time being a part of something that I dont really believe is appropriate (daycare for infants). obviously that is something that many parents do for various reasons but in think in general, most babies struggle at daycare and really do need their mother. there are always exceptions of course. but that has been my experience and why i no longer take children under 2. (and none of this is to say that providers that do take infants are doing something wrong....)
Candy 11:22 AM 03-31-2013
I think it depends on the baby. All babies i have looked after are easy going. Although my cousin wanted me to watch her little girl and i quickly declined. That babies cries so much and she is scared of men. She tipped her self over and fell on her but last week and started screaming her head off. Shes about 15 months and still screams. I wouldn't mind taking babies but i would have to observe them first to see how they are. Thats why i hate when parents don't bring the kid with them to the interview.
Springdaze 06:23 AM 04-02-2013
I wish I could have all babies. I like the routine of caring for them. I wish I could get just one age group, actually. That would be nice!
Tags:infants
Reply Up