Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Hate It When They Get Hurt :(
SilverSabre25 12:19 PM 09-08-2011
my little dcg got hurt today. She's 2 and tripped over her own sweet feet and fell and smacked her forehead on the driveway. She has a big bump and bruise and a bit of scraping on it. The tears dried up quickly and easily with a few hugs and kisses. She's fine, totally and completely, but it looks awful and I'm worried that her parents are going to be really upset. I Facebook'd mom about it and told her to call me if she had questions or concerns, but haven't heard from her so I guess that's good.

It was one of those totally unpreventable accidents that unless I held every child's hand every second of every day, nothing could have stopped it from happening.

Her family is great and her parents are great, but I still worry when someone gets hurt here.
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 09-08-2011
Bleh! That does suck.... I am glad she is okay though for the most part. I am also glad you have a good relationship with the family so I am sure they know you are providing the best care and that yes, accidents can and do happen right in fornt of us.

I had a 3.5 yr old dcb wipe out on his little ride-on motorcycle (right after he said to watch how fast he could go) and he chipped a tooth in the fall.

Mom was a long standing family here (older son was one of my first daycare kids ever) and so she was okay wiht it but I still cringe every time one of my dck's get hurt too!

(((hugs))) to you anyways cuz it is hard....
sharlan 01:47 PM 09-08-2011
I hate when they get hurt on my watch, too. I love parents who understand.

I called a mommy yesterday to come home. 3 yo jumped from 2nd stair to tile, landing on his elbow. It immediately started swelling and turning purple. I was sure it was broke. I put an ice pack on it, called Mom to come home. I checked 15 mins later, swelling was gone. I called Mom back and said don't bother. Today, he has a very small bruise.
Kaddidle Care 06:40 PM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
She's 2 and tripped over her own sweet feet and fell and smacked her forehead on the driveway.
Ahhh the dreaded "Weebles Wobble" stage. Big head + Little Body = BooBoos.

Glad she is OK. I think we all inwardly go into panic mode especially when they hit their face/head.

I had one fall and hit the corner of the end table and had to take her for stitches. It was horrible - I felt so bad for her. 2 years old and 3 people to hold her down - the cut was in the eyebrow area - TG not the eye. I stayed by her side the whole time as her parents were 1/2 an hour away. By the time they arrived she was all stitched up and ready to go. Dr. did a beautiful job - 6 stitches on the inside, 6 on the outside. You'd never know she had anything there once it healed.

My living room was lopsided for YEARS after that - I took that particular table out and refused to put it back for fear of that happening again.

Her parents were very understanding - they kept telling me to put the table back but I wouldn't.

The next week she rode her swing on her belly (AT HOME) and fell face forward - nearly knocked out her tooth.

They're just plain top heavy at that stage.
Unregistered 08:48 AM 09-09-2011
I had a 2 year old slip on a block (one foot skidded one way and one the other and twisted at the same time) about 4 weeks ago...he ended up with a broken leg...the mom was upset of course (as am I) ...I haven't heard one word from them except for the email that I got 2 days ago telling me that they won't be back..

I am riddled with guilt but I don't see what I could have done...it was a freak accident...they were playing with the blocks and he got up to walk away and slipped. I did the same thing about 15 years ago and dislocated my knee.

I only answered back that they have to do what is right for them...I don't know what else to do or say...I didn't do anything wrong except let them play with blocks...and that is a big play item for little ones...but I guess that they feel that I am to blame somehow...

I am very sad and upset about it ...I also had to have an interview with the police and the Children's Service worker which is rough on everyone but they were very nice and concluded that it was indeed an accident...the parents had the same interview and must have been found fine too...

I am super paranoid now...I hate for the kids to get even a scratch but things happen with kids and as, like someone said..they are top-heavy and clumsy for the first few years..

Anyway, there are days it sucks to be a provider and days whenit doesn't... I just wish they could all be days when it DOESN'T!!
Blackcat31 02:37 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I had a 2 year old slip on a block (one foot skidded one way and one the other and twisted at the same time) about 4 weeks ago...he ended up with a broken leg...the mom was upset of course (as am I) ...I haven't heard one word from them except for the email that I got 2 days ago telling me that they won't be back..

I am riddled with guilt but I don't see what I could have done...it was a freak accident...they were playing with the blocks and he got up to walk away and slipped. I did the same thing about 15 years ago and dislocated my knee.

I only answered back that they have to do what is right for them...I don't know what else to do or say...I didn't do anything wrong except let them play with blocks...and that is a big play item for little ones...but I guess that they feel that I am to blame somehow...

I am very sad and upset about it ...I also had to have an interview with the police and the Children's Service worker which is rough on everyone but they were very nice and concluded that it was indeed an accident...the parents had the same interview and must have been found fine too...

I am super paranoid now...I hate for the kids to get even a scratch but things happen with kids and as, like someone said..they are top-heavy and clumsy for the first few years..

Anyway, there are days it sucks to be a provider and days whenit doesn't... I just wish they could all be days when it DOESN'T!!
I had a dcb a few years back that did this same thing only at his own home. He was two and broke his femur bone!! He was casted from his waist down. It was hard to have him at daycare but I guess it was what it was and we made due. I felt bad for the boy though because once the cast was off he had to re-learn how to walk again.

So sorry you are going through this. I have been on both ends. My own DS broke his finger (badly while at daycare) and I have had a dcb who broke his arm while here under my watch. It is hard and I felt horrible but kids are kids and I knew i was doing everything I could to keep them safe so it was truly an accident. Thankfully the parents were cool. I still have them.
Kaddidle Care 02:48 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

It was an accident and these things happen with toddlers. It is unfortunate - usually at that age they are virtually rubber and don't usually have a break like that. He could have done the same at home. Hopefully the parents will realize that they acted rashly and will return.

I was super paranoid with the little one that had to get stitches too and her parents laughed at me. I'm actually glad she had an incident shortly afterward at home. Not that she got hurt, but it was sort of reinforcement to all of us that these things do happen.

As much as we'd like, we can't wrap them in bubble wrap or hang them like a Johnny Jumper from a bungee cord in the middle of the room so they don't get hurt. Our bodies heal for a reason. Because these things happen.
childcarebytori 05:32 PM 09-09-2011
I've only had one serious accident happen to a child while in my care and I do not EVER want it to happen again.

We had just gone outside for outdoor play and my very new DCG, age 2, tripped over her foot and cracked her head on one of my bricks that line my walkway.I had to calm DCG down, bring in and set up my two infants into exersaucers, bring in and sit everyone else in front of a movie and I immediately called Mom and told her she needed to pick up DCG and take her to the ER. I parted DCG's hair to get a better look at the gash and put them into very loose ponytails to get them out of the way. Another dcg, also age 2 who gets sick off the sight of blood, of course, saw the blood coming from DCG's head freaked out, projecting vomit all over the place.

When mom picked up DCG 15 minutes later, DCG was sitting calmly in front of the movie and I was cleaning up vomit, holding a baby who was screaming for a bottle and searching for an extra outfit for Vomit Girl who had now peed her pants because she was so upset.

Insanity!

DCG needed 8 stitches and she was perfectly happy when she came to daycare the next day. Three of my kids, including me, were scarred and we didn't go outside for the next two weeks.
Tags:injury, saddened
Reply Up