Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had Enough Looking For a New Job
valleygirl 07:11 PM 05-16-2016
I have only posted on here a few times, but I'm back to say I have had enough. The daycare centre where I am working right now is HORRIBLE. They are just warehousing children. It's all about the almighty schedule, NOT child centred AT ALL. The school-age children get WAY too much tech time--tv, Wii, DS, movies EVERY Friday. The space is not geared toward the needs of school-age children, and part of the care plan for a boy with ADHD and ODD is to give him a friggin' DS. Well, guess what? I give him markers and simple mandala colouring sheets and he is so happy. I have not seen anything out of the ordinary with him, and have no clue why he is diagnosed with ADHD and Oppositional Defiance Disorder. He's a really nice kid and loves to anything he can to help out. And if the tv isn't working properly, can we do something different??? No! It's a friggin' catastrophe if the popcorn arrives and the kids are outside instead of in the gym parked in front of the tv that's not working at popcorn time. I am looking for a new job and will be out of there as soon as I find new job. I should have been looking for a new job months ago. I could write an entire book about everything that is wrong with that daycare centre, and am discovering that they have a really bad reputation in my town. Yet they manage to run 3 centres in my town! Just because people are desperate to find childcare. Sorry for the rant. I just really had to get some of this off my chest.
Unregistered 11:06 AM 05-17-2016
Awwwww! Good luck with the job hunt. I left two ridiculous child care centers in about a four month period.
CityGarden 11:15 AM 05-18-2016
(((HUGS))) Good Luck on the job front.

Have you considered opening your own home daycare?
tomato 11:20 AM 05-18-2016
I was in a horrible day care center too.
I was able to quit the job and start another job the following Monday.
I wish you similar luck.
racemom 11:23 AM 05-18-2016
Wow! I would definitely be looking for a new job. Our center does not have any electronic/battery powered toys. No tv's, ds, wii or anything.

Good luck on your search!
valleygirl 10:49 AM 05-28-2016
I don't have my ECE yet. I will finish the certificate program next April. I am just working for the summer, and in September I will start my practicum as well as 2 classes. Probably if I wanted to open my own home daycare I would have to have my diploma in ECE. Also, there is no way I could afford to buy a house right now, and that's pretty much a necessity for a home daycare.
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
(((HUGS))) Good Luck on the job front.

Have you considered opening your own home daycare?

valleygirl 10:58 AM 05-28-2016
The job hunt is REALLY slow right now. I've got stress on all fronts right now as my mom is in very poor health right now. A few weeks ago she went to the ER with severe chest pain, and they found she has a blood clot on her lung. She started blood thinners, and a week later she was back in the hospital as her heart rate had gone down to 47 and her blood pressure was insanely low as well.

My brother-in-law has also been really sick, and after many tests, he has been diagnosed with cancer. He has surgery booked for June 8, but he still doesn't have the results from the PET scan and we don't yet know how pervasive his cancer is. He and my sister have 3 children 10 years, 8 years, and 6 years old, and where they live they don't have access to top quality medical testing and surgeons, so they have to drive 5 hours for the tests and surgery.

With all this stress and working 9 hour days I haven't had much time for job hunting.
Thriftylady 12:08 PM 05-28-2016
Originally Posted by valleygirl:
I don't have my ECE yet. I will finish the certificate program next April. I am just working for the summer, and in September I will start my practicum as well as 2 classes. Probably if I wanted to open my own home daycare I would have to have my diploma in ECE. Also, there is no way I could afford to buy a house right now, and that's pretty much a necessity for a home daycare.
I live in a rental house and do daycare. I have no degree, just a bunch of jumbled up classes in this, that and the other. In some states it is illegal for a landlord to not allow it. If I was looking for a place to do it in, I would assure that landlord that I would carry liability ins. However it will be hard to get away and take care of things like classes with a bunch of kiddos around!
valleygirl 01:34 PM 05-28-2016
In my province even home daycares have to be licensed. Anyway, I can't afford anything bigger than a small one bedroom apartment.
Tags:daycare center, daycare concerns, turnover
Reply Up