Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Flu Shot
Msdunny 05:43 AM 10-03-2019
I just had a mom text and say, "oh by the way, I forgot to tell you that I'm taking DCG to get her flu shot this morning and then bringing her in"

I have updated my handbook with the 48-hour exclusion after shots for next year. It was an oversight, not including it in my original handbook.

I texted back with 'ok-but for future reference, please schedule any shots for the afternoon, and preferrably Friday afternoons. I will need to contact you for pick up today if she shows any signs of illness'

Did I overstep, or is this a reasonable reply? She wasn't aware of this policy because I dropped the ball. But she doesn't work on Fridays (child still attends care), and could have easily scheduled for then.
CountryRoads 06:23 AM 10-03-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I just had a mom text and say, "oh by the way, I forgot to tell you that I'm taking DCG to get her flu shot this morning and then bringing her in"

I have updated my handbook with the 48-hour exclusion after shots for next year. It was an oversight, not including it in my original handbook.

I texted back with 'ok-but for future reference, please schedule any shots for the afternoon, and preferrably Friday afternoons. I will need to contact you for pick up today if she shows any signs of illness'

Did I overstep, or is this a reasonable reply? She wasn't aware of this policy because I dropped the ball. But she doesn't work on Fridays (child still attends care), and could have easily scheduled for then.
I think that's a reasonable response! That's a good policy to have, too. I had a child have a reaction to the flu shot last year and got a rash all over her body. It was...scary. I think the mom tried blaming daycare and that she got into something here, until the doctor told her what it was from

So, yeah. Good policy to have
Snowmom 07:23 AM 10-03-2019
I think it sounded professional.

I made a clause last year that states: I do not allow late arrivals for Dr visits of any kind. Please schedule vaccinations on days you will be able to monitor for adverse reactions at home for 24 hours before returning to care. Families typically schedule these for Friday afternoons and monitor for adverse reactions (febrile seizures) over the course of the weekend.
Ariana 11:37 AM 10-03-2019
You did what you felt was necessary and it is your business boundary. Feel confident in it.

I personally on,ply exclude for symptoms and not for shots in particular. I do have a policy on when a child can be dropped off and when to schedule appointments for them. I like to have some time to observe a child before nap for example. They can’t just give a shot and then go down for nap.
AmyKidsCo 01:13 PM 10-03-2019
I updated my policies (thanks to y'all) to say that children should not be brought after immunizations "in case of adverse reactions" So far it hasn't been an issue...
Tags:flu shot
Reply Up