Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Taking Gender Family
crazydaycarelady 08:29 AM 10-11-2013
And it has NOTHING to do with the boy, who was very nice and well behaved. During last nights interview dcm said they need care 3 days per week from 7:30-7:30. I had already told dcm my hours were 7:30-5:30 so why they came anyway is beyond me.

I think the mom is used to being treated special and she thought that maybe I would just go along with it. I am absolutely NOT adding 6 hours to my week for any family. That is such a long day.

Dcm was planning on coming over today to meet the other dckids and then starting on Monday. I feel bad that she is now under a time crunch but I also feel like she was trying to slide something by me, like maybe I'd be afraid to say no.

I hope they find someone good who is not already burned out by putting in the long hours. The little guy was sweet. He brought a Little Mermaid Polly Pocket in with him.
CedarCreek 08:33 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
And it has NOTHING to do with the boy, who was very nice and well behaved. During last nights interview dcm said they need care 3 days per week from 7:30-7:30. I had already told dcm my hours were 7:30-5:30 so why they came anyway is beyond me.

I think the mom is used to being treated special and she thought that maybe I would just go along with it. I am absolutely NOT adding 6 hours to my week for any family. That is such a long day.

Dcm was planning on coming over today to meet the other dckids and then starting on Monday. I feel bad that she is now under a time crunch but I also feel like she was trying to slide something by me, like maybe I'd be afraid to say no.

I hope they find someone good who is not already burned out by putting in the long hours. The little guy was sweet. He brought a Little Mermaid Polly Pocket in with him.
7:30-7:30 is way too long of a day.
daycare 08:40 AM 10-11-2013
holy cow that is a super long day. Good for you sticking to your guns. That child would basically be living with you. They would be going home to just go to bed.... So sad...
ihop 08:47 AM 10-11-2013
I am open 6-6 and I have one kiddo who is here all of those hours. It is a very long day and hard one this child. Good for you for not giving in!
cheerfuldom 08:58 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by ihop:
I am open 6-6 and I have one kiddo who is here all of those hours. It is a very long day and hard one this child. Good for you for not giving in!
There is no way I would allow this. What parent is working 12 hour days, 5 days a week? Why do you have this child for so long? I would suggest you look into contracted hours and limit each family to 9 or 10 hours a day within your business hours. There is no way I would allow a child here for 12 hours a day, 5 days a week.
Rockgirl 09:00 AM 10-11-2013
I don't blame you a bit! I've passed on several families who needed longer hours. Ten-hour days are long enough, thank you!
Kelly 09:45 AM 10-11-2013
I only have one dcb right now. He's 21 months and I have him 3 days a week for 13 hours each day. His mom works 12-hour shifts at the hospital. They are long days but since it's only 3 times a week it's not too bad. I understand why a lot of providers can't do those hours but it works out ok for me. I have my own kids at home but they are teen/adults so that probably makes it easier than if I had little ones. Plus she's a great mom and dcb is a sweetie. We all enjoy having him here.
Brooksie 09:57 AM 10-11-2013
7:30-7:30??!!! Is she mad?!?!!? Forget that. That is way to long of a day. No thank you.
preschoolteacher 09:58 AM 10-11-2013
Way too long of a day.
daycarediva 10:10 AM 10-11-2013
Yes, some parents work 12 hour shifts, but where is his Dad? Grandma? I find it awful that he needs to spend 12 hours/day in childcare. That is nearly his entire waking hours (he would literally go home, eat and go to bed!)

although...I have parents who do that NOW and the kid is in bed at 7.

I wouldn't have taken him either.
crazydaycarelady 10:25 AM 10-11-2013
Kelly, this dcm works at a hospital too, 7am-7pm. Dcd would drop off on his way to work at and dcm would pick up on her way home. Even though it is only 3 days per week I still have kids the other 2 days for 10 hours!
CedarCreek 10:30 AM 10-11-2013
I once did a friend a favor and had her daughter from 5:30am to 7:00 pm everyday, 5 days a week.

It was torture.
countrymom 11:06 AM 10-11-2013
sounds to me like there is more to the story than mom is letting on. I don't know too many nurses who work 12 hours every single day, acually I don't think they are allowed to. And then throw in the gender issue, I'm acually wondering if the poor kid is just missing his parents and they are filling in the gap with buying him whatever he wants. We all know people like this.
SilverSabre25 11:11 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
sounds to me like there is more to the story than mom is letting on. I don't know too many nurses who work 12 hours every single day, acually I don't think they are allowed to. And then throw in the gender issue, I'm acually wondering if the poor kid is just missing his parents and they are filling in the gap with buying him whatever he wants. We all know people like this.
She said 3 days a week
Childminder 11:27 AM 10-11-2013
I'll take him! Send him my way, I'm open.
CedarCreek 11:53 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I'll take him! Send him my way, I'm open.

DaisyMamma 12:19 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
7:30-7:30??!!! Is she mad?!?!!? Forget that. That is way to long of a day. No thank you.
Next.
itlw8 12:27 PM 10-11-2013
The hospitals around here do 12 hour shifts. It is better for patient care to have less change over and the staff gets more days off. They work 3 days 36 hours but get paid for 40 hours.
crazydaycarelady 12:37 PM 10-11-2013
That's what the hospitals do here too, and it is great for families. I have another dcm with the same hours but between her and her husband dcb is only here a normal day. Then he gets to spend at least 4 days at home.
Kelly 04:01 PM 10-11-2013
With my DCB who is here long hours, it is only 3 days a week. I don't think at this point his mom has a lot of options besides bringing him to me. His dad is in prison for shaking him when he was 4 months old. His grandma just moved away. DCM's aunt works during the day but does help out some. DCB & his mom live in a town 40 minutes from here but the hospital is near my house.
countrymom 05:27 PM 10-11-2013
our hospitals do this here too, but by the sounds of it, I thought they were asking for 5 days a week for that amount of time, because at this point nothing shocks me anymore.
heyhun77 07:09 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
There is no way I would allow this. What parent is working 12 hour days, 5 days a week? Why do you have this child for so long? I would suggest you look into contracted hours and limit each family to 9 or 10 hours a day within your business hours. There is no way I would allow a child here for 12 hours a day, 5 days a week.
I have parents here that work 12 hour days and their child is here. Both parents work construction jobs and in this part of the country that means seasonal which means long hours when the weather is good because once it snows there isn't any more work for them. So from early spring to late fall dcg is here long hours but over the winter it's more like 8 hour days because they work winter season jobs that aren't as many hours.
Angelsj 06:50 AM 10-12-2013
Not every day. 3 days. I know a LOT of nurses who work exactly those hours.
TheGoodLife 09:29 AM 10-12-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Not every day. 3 days. I know a LOT of nurses who work exactly those hours.
It is very common for nurses! But I think the OP is saying that she does not want to work 3 12-hour days for the one child since she would still have OTHER kids the remaining 2 days- basically adding 4 hours a week overall to her work week. I would agree- I wouldn't like to add hours to my work week when it takes away time with family and time to do other things you need.
Tags:gender confusion
Reply Up