Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ratio Question for MA Providers
Unregistered 11:55 AM 04-24-2014
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding ratios during summer vacation. I have two children of my own and one is school age. My licensor has told me that my school age child doesn't count in my numbers if he is home from school for a holiday or sick day, but what about for summer vacation?? Would that be counted as a holiday? I'm really hoping that I don't have to term one of my dck's (for financial reasons but also I would just hate to do that to any of my families). TIA to anyone who can help!
nothingwithoutjoy 12:08 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding ratios during summer vacation. I have two children of my own and one is school age. My licensor has told me that my school age child doesn't count in my numbers if he is home from school for a holiday or sick day, but what about for summer vacation?? Would that be counted as a holiday? I'm really hoping that I don't have to term one of my dck's (for financial reasons but also I would just hate to do that to any of my families). TIA to anyone who can help!
School aged kids count the same whenever they're there: before/after school, vacation, sick, summer... However many preschoolers you are licensed for stays the same.

ed. to add: oh, I see after reading others' answers I was misunderstanding. I was figuring your son was in the "plus 2" school-age group. Can you get licensed for 8?

I have to count my daughter in my 6 no matter how old she gets, because she'll be home schooled. I think that's the dumbest rule!
KiddieCahoots 12:49 PM 04-24-2014
Your own school age children only count for summer vacation, up until the age of 10yrs.
They have to be in attendance for a set amount of time before they actually count. Not sure of the exact time frame, I can get back to you on that.
Unregistered 01:28 PM 04-24-2014
Thank you for the info I was thinking about sending my son (he's almost 9) to a summer program if he did count but I was worried about overlapping times or if he ever had to have a sick day from camp. The cost is also a lot too I guess I have some things to figure out here...
CraftyMom 01:57 PM 04-24-2014
I am in MA. Yes, your son counts in the summer, until he is 10

Our own kids under 10 count in our numbers if they are home for a total of 3 or more hours/day during the school year. So on a daily basis they don't count when they are in school.

On holidays, days off from school and week long school vacations they do not count

In the summer they count

Stinks because I can not fill my 6th spot because my 6 yo will count in the summer, the 3 hours rule doesn't apply in the summer
CraftyMom 02:00 PM 04-24-2014
Also, I had an issue last summer where my times overlapped by a half hour and I got cited. My licensor said even a two minute over lap is against regulations

To avoid this next year I will have my plus 2 license. This will allow me to have my 6 dck's plus 2 school age, so my daughter will count as one of the sa.

I couldn't do it this year because I haven't had my license 2 full years. Have you? You could go that route if you have
Unregistered 10:25 AM 04-25-2014
I will have had my license for 2 years at the end of August so that doesn't help me unfortunately It stinks because having my older son here is like having a helper too so it actually makes the day easier rather than harder!
Reply Up