Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This True?!
Unregistered 07:01 AM 10-26-2018
I have a 5 month old who drinks breastmilk. He wants to eat every 1-1 1/2 hours on average. Sometimes it's only 45 minutes between bottles and the longest he goes is 2 hours between. I have asked DCM about increasing the amount he is offered to try and get him to go longer between feedings. Mom says he only needs 3 oz. at a time because her breastmilk changes over time to accommodate his needs? I don't understand what this means. Has anyone ever been told this by a breastfeeding mom? She did say this morning I can try feeding him 4 oz at a time, but not any more than that.
Ariana 07:15 AM 10-26-2018
Her breast milk changes over time to accommodate the baby growing but it’s not something that would affect him on a daily basis so I am not sure what she is thinking an extra ounce would do!
Indoorvoice 07:20 AM 10-26-2018
It's true if the baby is eating directly from the breast, but since you're feeding pumped milk that makes no sense. She has no idea what time of day her pumped milk is from and it would be impossible to time that when bottle feeding. It's probably that she is having trouble pumping enough and doesn't want you to feed more so that she doesn't run out.
Cat Herder 07:24 AM 10-26-2018
5-month-olds, here, are generally taking between 6-8 ounces, cereals, veggies and fruits.

https://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/fil...nt_handout.pdf
lovemykidstoo 07:26 AM 10-26-2018
He's 5 months old and is only eating 3 oz at a time? Whoa!!! I have a 6 month old and is eating 7 ounces along with cereal, fruit and veges.
Ac114 07:41 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
It's true if the baby is eating directly from the breast, but since you're feeding pumped milk that makes no sense. She has no idea what time of day her pumped milk is from and it would be impossible to time that when bottle feeding. It's probably that she is having trouble pumping enough and doesn't want you to feed more so that she doesn't run out.
Exactly this! If baby is feeding directly from her breast then the milk does change but she is pumping so that doesn’t apply. Also, breastfed babies don’t drink as much as formula fed babies do but I would definitely increase the feeding to 4oz and see if that helps baby last a little linger between feedings.
Blackcat31 07:44 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
She did say this morning I can try feeding him 4 oz at a time, but not any more than that.
Most states don't allow providers to with hold food from an infant. I'd ask mom to bring a feeding plan that a doctor has had some input on.

I'd be really uncomfortable not allowing baby to eat when hungry
Unregistered 08:20 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Most states don't allow providers to with hold food from an infant. I'd ask mom to bring a feeding plan that a doctor has had some input on.

I'd be really uncomfortable not allowing baby to eat when hungry
I don't withhold from feeding him. I currently feed him 3 oz at time. He wants to eat every 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Talked to mom about increasing oz/feeding to see if that helps with the frequency in which he eats. I feel like all I do is spend my time feeding him. Yesterday he had 15 oz between 9:30-3:30 with me feeding him five 3 oz bottles.
Mom also mentioned that her chiropractor told her that infants can't digest grains? Because of this, they don't want him to have infant cereal until he is close to a year old. I also care for their 3 year old, but she didn't start with me until she was over a year old.
happymom 08:23 AM 10-26-2018
Both my children only ate 3-4oz of breastmilk at a time from about 4-12 months. When they were younger, I'd send 4 3oz bottles and as they got older I sent 3 4oz bottles. I had to pump 3x at work and once before I went to bed in order to make this happen.

I don't want to assume, but around that age it starts to become hard to pump more than that. Especially if mom is only pumping at work.

I always relied on this resource to help me plan my bottles.
https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 10-26-2018
I don't withhold from feeding him. I currently feed him 3 oz at time. He wants to eat every 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Talked to mom about increasing oz/feeding to see if that helps with the frequency in which he eats. I feel like all I do is spend my time feeding him. Yesterday he had 15 oz between 9:30-3:30 with me feeding him five 3 oz bottles.
Mom also mentioned that her chiropractor told her that infants can't digest grains? Because of this, they don't want him to have infant cereal until he is close to a year old. I also care for their 3 year old, but she didn't start with me until she was over a year old.
Oh, gottcha... I thought mom was asking that you with hold feeding him only a specific amount. Now I understand what you mean.

As for cereal, it's becoming the norm now to skip infant cereal all together.
happymom 08:27 AM 10-26-2018
At 5 months he doesn't need infant cereal. Babies do not need infant cereal. There are thousands of real foods that are better to feed to a baby
happymom 08:28 AM 10-26-2018
Ooops, sorry BC - your post hadn't loaded yet
Cat Herder 08:43 AM 10-26-2018
A chiropractor should not be giving advice about infants nutrition. Those conversations should be taking place with the child's' pediatrician.

Boxed Infant Cereal is not required. Whole grain breads and cereals are on the USDA food program infant feeding requirements.

I do not offer processed infant cereals. I offer whole oats, grits, ground flax seed and quinoa cooked down from scratch. I also make my own purees from steamed fresh vegetables and fruits.

Having to feed an infant every two hours in group childcare because a measurement chart is viewed as more important than the child being satiated is an unrealistic expectation.

If the child is showing signs of fullness at 3 ounces, then sure, 3 ounces is plenty. If he is still sucking fiercely at the end of a bottle he needs more per feeding.
happymom 08:52 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Boxed Infant Cereal is not required. Whole grain breads and cereals are on the USDA food program infant feeding requirements.
Not required for a 5 month old though.
happymom 08:53 AM 10-26-2018
Oh but she said no grains until 12 months??? No grains at all??

Sorry CatHerder, you are right!
Cat Herder 08:55 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
Oh but she said no grains until 12 months??? No grains at all??

Sorry CatHerder, you are right!
No need to apologize.

To the op: Some breastmilk is so thick it looks like whipping cream with plenty of fat on top. Some other bags I have been given were almost clear with no fatty deposits present at all. It stands to reason those would require different amounts for the child to feel full.
hwichlaz 08:58 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Exactly this! If baby is feeding directly from her breast then the milk does change but she is pumping so that doesn’t apply. Also, breastfed babies don’t drink as much as formula fed babies do but I would definitely increase the feeding to 4oz and see if that helps baby last a little linger between feedings.
Former LC here, and that is NOT true unless it's outdated milk from the freezer. If she is feeding at the breast and pumping, the most recently pumped milk will reflect the child's changing needs. The child needs roughly 1 ounce per hour over a 24 hour period. The fat nutrient levels in the milk change over time based on the child's needs. This is why milk that's been in the freezer for months should only be as back up...and supplies should be rotated regularly. Most kids get much more milk from the breast than they do from a bottle so don't freak out if the child is with you 10 hours but doesn't drink 10 ounces of milk.
hwichlaz 09:00 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
A chiropractor should not be giving advice about infants nutrition. Those conversations should be taking place with the child's' pediatrician.

I do not offer processed infant cereals. I offer whole oats, grits, ground flax seed and quinoa cooked down from scratch. I also make my own purees from steamed fresh vegetables and fruits.

Having to feed an infant every two hours in group childcare because a measurement chart is viewed as more important than the child being satiated is an unrealistic expectation.

If the child is showing signs of fullness at 3 ounces, then sure, 3 ounces is plenty. If he is still sucking fiercely at the end of a bottle he needs more per feeding.
They are NOT requirements, but suggestions/allowed before 12 months.

The only thing REQUIRED by the FP before 12 months is mother's milk or formula.
Cat Herder 09:14 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
They are NOT requirements, but suggestions/allowed before 12 months.

The only thing REQUIRED by the FP before 12 months is mother's milk or formula.
Looking again, that is true for minimal standards.

I am following the best practices guide provided by my state.

OP's may be different.
LittleExplorers 10:15 AM 10-26-2018
Some babies eat more frequently. I find that to be especially true of breastfed babies. Does baby act hungry when the bottle is gone?
Unregistered 10:43 AM 10-26-2018
I told mom I would look into requirements for the food program in terms of feeding infants grains. As far as I am aware, we are required to feed infants cereal and fruits/veggies by 8 months old, but I will check to see if that has changed at all.
In regards to the breastmilk, yes, he usually is still sucking after he finishes the 3 oz bottle. I fed him his first 4 oz bottle this morning and his was still content 2 1/2 hours later. Mom sends fresh milk each day, but I do have some frozen as back up.
Ac114 10:59 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Former LC here, and that is NOT true unless it's outdated milk from the freezer. If she is feeding at the breast and pumping, the most recently pumped milk will reflect the child's changing needs. The child needs roughly 1 ounce per hour over a 24 hour period. The fat nutrient levels in the milk change over time based on the child's needs. This is why milk that's been in the freezer for months should only be as back up...and supplies should be rotated regularly. Most kids get much more milk from the breast than they do from a bottle so don't freak out if the child is with you 10 hours but doesn't drink 10 ounces of milk.

I was thinking that she is sending in frozen back up milk and not freshly pumped milk from the previous day so you are correct.
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 10-26-2018
I told mom I would look into requirements for the food program in terms of feeding infants grains. As far as I am aware, we are required to feed infants cereal and fruits/veggies by 8 months old, but I will check to see if that has changed at all.
In regards to the breastmilk, yes, he usually is still sucking after he finishes the 3 oz bottle. I fed him his first 4 oz bottle this morning and his was still content 2 1/2 hours later. Mom sends fresh milk each day, but I do have some frozen as back up.
From CACFP website

https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...P02-2018os.pdf
Tags:breast feeding, supplemental nutrition, unreasonable parental expectations
Reply Up