Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Don't Want To Give Extra Days To This Family
Indoorvoice 07:09 AM 11-22-2014
I just started a thread on another board about a parent who termed. It was a pt family so this opens up 2 spots on 2 days of the week. I have another pt family who comes on opposite days who has expressed interest in taking those spots if they ever opened up so they could be ft. Problem is, I don't really think I can handle those kids more than 2 days a week. I can't really come out and say that to them because they are friends of the family. Also, I have a family who wants a ft spot in June so this would open that up for them. My contract says that ft trumps pt but that I would open up any ft spots to part timers before looking elsewhere, so I can't really tell my pt family that they can't have that spots, can I? Any insight or suggestions?
Cradle2crayons 08:03 AM 11-22-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
I just started a thread on another board about a parent who termed. It was a pt family so this opens up 2 spots on 2 days of the week. I have another pt family who comes on opposite days who has expressed interest in taking those spots if they ever opened up so they could be ft. Problem is, I don't really think I can handle those kids more than 2 days a week. I can't really come out and say that to them because they are friends of the family. Also, I have a family who wants a ft spot in June so this would open that up for them. My contract says that ft trumps pt but that I would open up any ft spots to part timers before looking elsewhere, so I can't really tell my pt family that they can't have that spots, can I? Any insight or suggestions?
You can hold or offer those spots to anyone you want. It's your program. I don't mention or discuss spots open or enrollment with my parents. As far as they are aware I have my waiting list set up and spots are offered based on availability and "fit". I decide who gets what spots and when.
cheerfuldom 10:14 AM 11-22-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
You can hold or offer those spots to anyone you want. It's your program. I don't mention or discuss spots open or enrollment with my parents. As far as they are aware I have my waiting list set up and spots are offered based on availability and "fit". I decide who gets what spots and when.
I agree. Do what is best for you. Your contract should not hold you hostage.
racemom 06:35 AM 11-23-2014
I agree you can offer those spots to whomever you think is the best fit. But have you considered the pt kids issues might be because they are part time. I have found that pt kids are sometimes the hardest. They challenge rules, never quite get the routine, and have a harder time making friends. Would the pt kids fit in better as ft?
Laurel 07:18 AM 11-23-2014
When I was doing childcare, I had a very limited contract which helped for things that might come up like this. The fewer rules the better overall in my opinion. Then you are open to changing things to how you want them to be whenever you want to. I only had rules about payment and a few other basic rules like paid holidays and late fees, etc. I didn't even have a rule that they had to give me notice (or I them) when they wanted to leave. I requested it but I figure if they want to leave or I want them to then I don't want them lingering for two weeks or even two days! However, I never termed anyone in 20 years. (although I should have twice). I always tried to be fair though because if you change rules willy nilly all the time then it is not good business practice. Yet if something wasn't working out I could just say I wasn't going to do it anymore and they could take it or leave it and leave. I felt I had the control then.

It does seem you are limited by your contract in this instance. I'm not sure what I would do. Does the contract have an end date? I'm thinking maybe you could try to have them full time and if it doesn't work out then term. Or you could term them now I guess. I have the gut feeling that if I didn't want them full time I wouldn't have them full time even if terming or not filling those days until June were the only options. If she hasn't asked about the full time option lately would she even notice the other children are gone? Some of my parents wouldn't have noticed. They just come to the door, pick up and leave.

Laurel
Unregistered 07:19 AM 11-23-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
You could always tell your current PT family that the space is already spoken for. (by the family wanting space in June)
If the PT family asks why you didn't offer it to them, you can always just say that the new family fit the space best and you will be sure to let them know when a FT space opens up that will fit them well and leave it at that.
You really don't need to explain anything to them but I also understand how sometimes, addressing things like this is unavoidable when you work closely with family's every day.
Unregistered 01:41 AM 09-21-2015
I would term effective immediately, personally. The PTers I mean.
Unregistered 04:56 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I agree. Do what is best for you. Your contract should not hold you hostage.
I respectfully disagree. How many times do you hear on this board that the contract is the contract is the contract and parents must follow all the clauses? A contract is a two-way street. I can't tell you how PISSED I would be if I had expressed interest in the extra days and the provider disregarded our signed contract to offer it to someone else when I'm expected to follow the contract to the letter. If I were you, I'd consider removing that clause from my contract from this point going forward, but for now I'd say you're kind of obligated to at least offer it around to the PT families.
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I respectfully disagree. How many times do you hear on this board that the contract is the contract is the contract and parents must follow all the clauses? A contract is a two-way street. I can't tell you how PISSED I would be if I had expressed interest in the extra days and the provider disregarded our signed contract to offer it to someone else when I'm expected to follow the contract to the letter. If I were you, I'd consider removing that clause from my contract from this point going forward, but for now I'd say you're kind of obligated to at least offer it around to the PT families.
I agree to some extent. (This is an old thread by the way )

However, the OP stated she couldn't handle the family's children more than 2 days a week. Just because her contract says full time trumps part time it doesn't automatically mean every part time family would be a good fit for full time care.

I have the same thing in my contract and just recently declined to offer an open full time space to a long time part time family because honestly if they were here 5 days a week, I'd probably just term and be done with them but I can manage the 3 days they are here just fine because I get a break from them twice weekly.

I abide by my contract but my contract does not specify that I HAVE to offer any full time space that becomes available to every single part time family that expresses an interest. It simply says full time trumps part time and it does. Just not for all families. That is where the beauty of being SELF-employed comes in.

I know that doesn't seem fair but I never promised fair.
I only promise the best that I can do.
Thriftylady 06:52 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree to some extent. (This is an old thread by the way )

However, the OP stated she couldn't handle the family's children more than 2 days a week. Just because her contract says full time trumps part time it doesn't automatically mean every part time family would be a good fit for full time care.

I have the same thing in my contract and just recently declined to offer an open full time space to a long time part time family because honestly if they were here 5 days a week, I'd probably just term and be done with them but I can manage the 3 days they are here just fine because I get a break from them twice weekly.

I abide by my contract but my contract does not specify that I HAVE to offer any full time space that becomes available to every single part time family that expresses an interest. It simply says full time trumps part time and it does. Just not for all families. That is where the beauty of being SELF-employed comes in.

I know that doesn't seem fair but I never promised fair.
I only promise the best that I can do.
I am in this camp. If the thought of taking a child for more days is more than I think I can handle, it is most fair to the child if I don't. If I can't keep a good attitude with the child, I shouldn't have them here. If that means the family wants to find other care, I would be okay with that in that situation.
Unregistered 11:30 AM 09-21-2015
Just because you have the spot doesn't mean you have to fill it!
Indoorvoice 01:06 PM 09-21-2015
I'm the OP and this post is a little old, but I thought I would give you an update. I did end up offering the pt family the open spots but only gave them 3 days to decide because the full timer could start immediately and needed to know if they had to look elsewhere. The pt had a nanny that that watched the kids when I didn't and they didn't really want to hurt her feelings by letting her go. I didn't hear from her by the 3rd day so I told her they lost the spots. Then they were mad at me because they felt I hadn't been fair, yet they didn't want to let the nanny go anyway? The whole thing was weird, and I was glad I got them out of here. It was one of those situations where my stomach would turn as soon as they pulled in the driveway and I would count down the seconds until they left. Not fair for those children or for me. Dcm and me are friends again after it all blew over
Thriftylady 06:18 AM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I'm the OP and this post is a little old, but I thought I would give you an update. I did end up offering the pt family the open spots but only gave them 3 days to decide because the full timer could start immediately and needed to know if they had to look elsewhere. The pt had a nanny that that watched the kids when I didn't and they didn't really want to hurt her feelings by letting her go. I didn't hear from her by the 3rd day so I told her they lost the spots. Then they were mad at me because they felt I hadn't been fair, yet they didn't want to let the nanny go anyway? The whole thing was weird, and I was glad I got them out of here. It was one of those situations where my stomach would turn as soon as they pulled in the driveway and I would count down the seconds until they left. Not fair for those children or for me. Dcm and me are friends again after it all blew over
If I had that feeling I would have termed before you did. I am so over being what I call "held hostage".
Play Care 08:59 AM 09-22-2015
I always think that day care parents want their cake and to be able to eat it too when it comes to dc spots.

They don't want to pay but they want you to hold the spot. Or, they really want the spot but want to dither as long as possible about letting the provider know so the provider misses out on an opportunity to fill the spot meaning parents get more time to decide.

And then when the provider puts her foot down, because, we like to be able to put food on our tables and keep the roof over our heads, somehow we're the ones who are "greedy" and "unfair"
Reply Up