Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WDYD When You Don't Have...
NightOwl 08:36 PM 06-03-2014
A reliable sub?
Do you close regularly for appointments, like once per month?
Do you have a shared pool of substitutes?
Every Dr office here is open M-F, 8 to 5pm. I can't make appointments before or after, can't go on Saturdays, can't find a reliable sub. No one wants to work a day or two per month! And I can't blame them.
But I have 4 children who constantly need some kind of medical care or other business taken care of.
Meyou 02:12 AM 06-04-2014
I make appointments during naptime and have my Mom or cousin or DH sit with the kids while they sleep. It's still a pain but it works for doctor and dentist trips for myself and the kids.
childcaremom 02:26 AM 06-04-2014
My husband has been able to work his schedule around kids' appointments for the most part. I have taken a day off (once in 2 years) to go to personal appointments. I closed for the day without pay and gave them 3 weeks notice.

I am legally unlicensed so don't have specific requirements for subs but I have never been able to find one. I don't have anyone (relative-wise) who could come over but I really like ^^ suggestion.

If you have exhausted your efforts in finding a sub and you have regularly scheduled appts, maybe let your parents know as far in advance as possible and close for the day or afternoon? I know that's not ideal but are your parents required to have back up care? Mine are, so with enough notice, should be able to swing a day here and there. If the parents were made aware of your situation, with an explanation attached to the one day off/month needed for medical appts for your children, they may be willing to compromise a few hours of inconvenience on their part to help you out.

I think that parents need to remember that we (most of us) have children, too, and as their parents, we need to take care of their needs. I think (most of) my dcps would be understanding of this. If this was once a week, probably not so much, but here and there I think it's doable. This is actually something I discuss in interviews, that I do my best to be here and open for them 5 days/week because I understand that they are relying on me but that life happens and I am only one person.
Play Care 02:56 AM 06-04-2014
Before either my husband would take the kids or I would make the appointment as late in the day as I could and close early (making sure to close early enough so that I couldn't be late )

That said, I have my sub come two mornings a week for a few hours. It's reliable income for her, but not a huge dent in my income. I find this to be the best way of ensuring that I have a sub when I need it. In my state a sub can only be alone with the kids for so many hours so I have to be careful - but since I am there I don't count that as her "alone" time, KWIM?

I use that time to get paperwork, planning, cleaning, etc. done. It's wonderful because I can say with confidence that the person I am leaving the kids with knows them, knows the routine, etc. It's one less thing to think/worry about when I do have to leave.
Meyou 03:54 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Before either my husband would take the kids or I would make the appointment as late in the day as I could and close early (making sure to close early enough so that I couldn't be late )

That said, I have my sub come two mornings a week for a few hours. It's reliable income for her, but not a huge dent in my income. I find this to be the best way of ensuring that I have a sub when I need it. In my state a sub can only be alone with the kids for so many hours so I have to be careful - but since I am there I don't count that as her "alone" time, KWIM?

I use that time to get paperwork, planning, cleaning, etc. done. It's wonderful because I can say with confidence that the person I am leaving the kids with knows them, knows the routine, etc. It's one less thing to think/worry about when I do have to leave.
I should really look into a part time sub like you have. I would love to have a couple of mornings a week with the option to do whatever I need to do. I can afford a couple of mornings per week without a huge sacrifice.
CraftyMom 07:31 AM 06-04-2014
I have the same trouble Wednesday! I have 3 kids who need dentist and dr appointments that I keep rescheduling because I have no sub! They are so far behind on their appts!

I wish it were as easy as having my husband or mother in law or a friend stay with the kids for an hour but it's against licensing. The ONE time I did that I got tattled on by a parent and got cited!

The person would have to be cpr and first aid certified, and have taken 5 different online trainings and have a yearly physical on file and a bunch of hoops to jump through...ugh!!
melilley 07:38 AM 06-04-2014
If the appointment is for my kids, I just have do take them. If it's for me, I either have my sis come here for me ( she meets all the requirements) or I close early if she can't come. I try to make them as late as possible.
Play Care 09:12 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I have the same trouble Wednesday! I have 3 kids who need dentist and dr appointments that I keep rescheduling because I have no sub! They are so far behind on their appts!

I wish it were as easy as having my husband or mother in law or a friend stay with the kids for an hour but it's against licensing. The ONE time I did that I got tattled on by a parent and got cited!

The person would have to be cpr and first aid certified, and have taken 5 different online trainings and have a yearly physical on file and a bunch of hoops to jump through...ugh!!
In this case I would make all appointments on one day and CLOSE.
No way am I going to neglect my kids health for a DCP.
jenboo 09:18 AM 06-04-2014
We have a company here who you can go through to get a sub. You can and request one. They are all trained/certified etc to meet licensing standards. The company then bills you at the end of the month.
I haven't used them yet, but I like knowing that I have the option if I ever need it.
CraftyMom 09:50 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
In this case I would make all appointments on one day and CLOSE.
No way am I going to neglect my kids health for a DCP.
I agree, it's just timing right now for me. I have a few days off coming up in addition to a couple of early closings. I wish I could do their dentist appts in the same day but we don't have dental insurance. Each apt is close to $200 out of pocket so I really can't do 3 at once.

If these weren't physicals and my kids were sick I wouldn't hesitate to close

I am closing early in July for my daughter's appt. I think I'll call and see if I can do my son's eye apt the same day
momofboys 10:58 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
A reliable sub?
Do you close regularly for appointments, like once per month?
Do you have a shared pool of substitutes?
Every Dr office here is open M-F, 8 to 5pm. I can't make appointments before or after, can't go on Saturdays, can't find a reliable sub. No one wants to work a day or two per month! And I can't blame them.
But I have 4 children who constantly need some kind of medical care or other business taken care of.
My DH is off work everyday at 3:00 & home by 3:40 so I usually schedule appts for 4:00 or after & would let parents know that DH would be in charge from 4:00 on. If that is not an option (which I assume it isn't) can you take off 1/2 day a month to schedule 2-3 appts at a time? At my dental office they have 3 hygienists (sp???) so my kids all get their teeth cleaned at the same time.
KiddieCahoots 11:08 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
We have a company here who you can go through to get a sub. You can and request one. They are all trained/certified etc to meet licensing standards. The company then bills you at the end of the month.
I haven't used them yet, but I like knowing that I have the option if I ever need it.
Oh! I gotta look into this. That would be perfect!
Thanks jenboo!
NightOwl 11:43 AM 06-04-2014
Can you share the name of the company? Im wondering if I may be able to find something similar here.
melilley 11:44 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
That would be awesome to have here!
Crazy8 12:03 PM 06-04-2014
I have never had a sub here other than my DH or my mom in the 13 years I have been running my daycare and have VERY rarely closed for appointments. I made a point to find a pediatrician and ob/gyn with some evening hours. We also have a walk in clinic nearby open till like 8pm for minor things like if I know I'm getting a sinus infection, etc. My dentist is harder, he doesn't do nights and I don't like any of the ones who do. Usually DH takes the kids so I would only need to take the time when I need to go for myself. And like someone else said, I'd schedule things for nap time and either DH or my mom would just hang out here.
Play Care 12:23 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I should really look into a part time sub like you have. I would love to have a couple of mornings a week with the option to do whatever I need to do. I can afford a couple of mornings per week without a huge sacrifice.
It's heavenly!

I've had days where I just needed to get away for a few minutes and ran for coffee, or the library to read the paper in peace
Reply Up