Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rates by Age?
Ariana 02:32 PM 03-04-2017
Do you charge different rates by age group? What are you cutoff points?

A law just passed that makes me no longer able to care for more than two kids under 2 years. A lot of people in my area are charging more for infants to make up for that income. In my area the going rate for care is $45 a day with some people charging $60 a day for an infant (age not specified). Infants in Canada are generally 12 months old when entering care. To me infants are no more work than a toddler so I am wondering if charging more is going to drive away business.
Leigh 04:15 PM 03-04-2017
What will the market support? I've always charged the same for all ages, but recently, there is a severe shortage of space for infants...others are charging much more for infants, and I am raising my rates, as well. I'm going up $10/week for 24 months and up, $25/week for 12-24 months, and $50/week for 0-12 months. Those spaces for under 24 months are precious, why not get paid for them?
Kajada 04:26 PM 03-04-2017
My province also really limits how many kids under 2 you can have in your daycare. The rates are higher for the under-2s because you can only care for 2 if you're unlicensed or 3 if you're licensed (going by memory here - could be 4 if you're licensed). The rates are set by the province if you choose to accept grant money. If you don't, you can charge whatever you want. We have a serious shortage of spaces for this age category. Personally, I'd rather charge more the for the older kids - they're much more work in my opinion!
Jupadia 04:28 PM 03-04-2017
I do charge about $5 per day more for my infant spot (also from Ontario). I actally only have 1 avaliblle since my youngest is only 14 months. Since I can only fill so many of these spots. I've had no problems getting a under 2 kid for more money parts actually love it and feel like their getting a break when kid ages up. I get way more calls for these spots as well . As well if I want more over 2 kids cause if u can get one now then in September one of my baby's will be over 2 years and my 4 year old will start school so I could then add a 6th kid from Sept to June if I only have the one baby.
DaveA 03:31 AM 03-06-2017
My rates are split by under 30 months, over 30 months, and school age. A DCK's age makes a difference in how many I can have, so younger children pay a higher rate to make up the difference.
Cat Herder 05:46 AM 03-06-2017
I charge my rates based on what I need to earn annually divided by the number of slots I have. If they lower my ratio, my rates must go up.

If they truly wanted to lower costs for parents they would give me back the 8 slots I had for the first 10 years of my career. With no injuries or complaints, I might add.
Second Home 07:18 AM 03-06-2017
I charge more for infant ( here 0-24 months is considered infant) as we can only have 2 . I have another rate for 2-5 years and a before and after care rate . If a school age child needs all day care then it is the same as my 2-5 yr old daily rate . I do charge a little less for early pick-up ( by 4pm ) as I would love to have all my dcf pick up early so my kids can get to their after school activities without rushing.
jenboo 08:08 AM 03-06-2017
I used to have different rates for ages but then it sucked when a kid would age up and i would lose income.
Now i only offer infant/ toddler care and can a ratio off 1:5 so i charge everyone the same.
Ariana 10:03 AM 03-06-2017
So you charge an infant rate until they are walking or until 2 years old? I started some of these kids at 18 months and charged them my regular rate so I am wondering at what age the cutoff should be. I know a chikd stops being and infant technically at 18 months.
Jupadia 10:22 AM 03-06-2017
I do ar 2 years since the kids change ratio category then. Once their over 2 years I can have more kids that age without the same reststrictions on numbers.
jenboo 10:42 AM 03-06-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
So you charge an infant rate until they are walking or until 2 years old? I started some of these kids at 18 months and charged them my regular rate so I am wondering at what age the cutoff should be. I know a chikd stops being and infant technically at 18 months.
I would base it off ratios. In my state, that would be 2
Reply Up