Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!

New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! Introduce yourself. Find out how to use your account and forum features. Who are you? Why do you do/use daycare? What brought you here? What kind of daycare are you associated with?

Old 07-26-2019, 04:59 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Toddlers Sleeping on Belly

Why do child care centers make toddlers sleep flat on their bellies when it seems so uncomfortable? My Mom never made me sleep on my belly as a toddler. I always slept on my sides or my back. I am very uncomfortable trying to sleep on my belly. It seems that maybe children are trying to find their own comfortable position to sleep, and adults still try to tell them to get all the way over on their belly. If we want a good sound sleep, then we have to have the most comfortable position in order to get healthy sleep. If I had a child in day care, I would firmly talk to the care givers and managers about many concerns and would expect them to listen and obey me for the sake of my child's well being....
Old 07-26-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieM View Post
Why do child care centers make toddlers sleep flat on their bellies when it seems so uncomfortable? My Mom never made me sleep on my belly as a toddler. I always slept on my sides or my back. I am very uncomfortable trying to sleep on my belly. It seems that maybe children are trying to find their own comfortable position to sleep, and adults still try to tell them to get all the way over on their belly. If we want a good sound sleep, then we have to have the most comfortable position in order to get healthy sleep. If I had a child in day care, I would firmly talk to the care givers and managers about many concerns and would expect them to listen and obey me for the sake of my child's well being....
Are you talking about a specific child care center?
If you have no children in care, how do you know that a center does this?
What state are you in?

Also I have never heard of any rule in any state like that.

There are safe sleep rules for infants under 12 months but no rules/regulations for position when sleeping for toddlers.

I will refrain from commenting on the firmly talk, listen and obey statments...
Old 07-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieM View Post
If I had a child in day care, I would firmly talk to the care givers and managers about many concerns and would expect them to listen and obey me for the sake of my child's well being....
As the owner, I'd tell you I don't obey anyone's commands. I am hoping this is maybe an ESOL issue with translation.

Also, I put the nap mats out and the kids run and dive onto their mats on their own each day. I don't force anyone to lay on their stomach, but it is a rare child who does not. It is the most common position for kids because they want us to rub their backs, twirl their hair and tuck them in. Not because we are vicious and cruel. After back rubs, there are many wonky sleep positions they wake up in.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
After back rubs, there are many wonky sleep positions they wake up in.
Heck many of mine end up on someone else's mat spooning them.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:45 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Heck many of mine end up on someone else's mat spooning them.
Same.

Sibling groups are fun

Of course, I am admitting to a violation as they are supposed to be 2 feet away from one another. I am not pulling 2 yo little sister off her 4 yo sisters mat when they are cuddling so cute. Nope.

Tags
sleep positions, sleeping on stomach