Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1 yo Who Gags
JackandJill 10:16 AM 10-10-2016
I have a 1 yr old who gags every time he eats, sometimes to the point of throwing up. The other day, on one of his last bites, he gagged a threw up everything he just ate!

The only foods he eats are smooth: yogurt, baby food and whole milk. Sometimes there is baby cereal mixed into his baby food. Mom sends all food for the day. We have tried switching up texture, but he won't eat anything solid (apple slices, teething biscuits, toast mashed sweet potato)

We take our time eating, I try to give him a minute or two in between bites. I make sure it is a small amount on each spoon. We have tried things warm, cold, etc. Mom says he does it at home as well. I suggested she speak with her pedi, but I am wondering if any of you have some advice! This is the third week of throwing up during lunch.
Controlled Chaos 12:01 PM 10-10-2016
I have a 3yo DCB who gags easily. It has taken a lot of work, slowly introducing new foods, new textures, consistencies etc. Tiny tastes, rather than big bites help when it comes to challenging foods.

Did you send home after the vomit? That might help DCM be more motivated to get a doctor's opinion.
mommiebookworm 06:22 PM 10-10-2016
How is he doing otherwise? Meeting milestones? I always think of sensory issues when i hear of kids who gag with food.
JackandJill 04:06 AM 10-11-2016
He's definitely meeting milestones, though there are some things that I would think he would do on his own by now. He walks, "talks" with me and the other kids, he plays well with other kids, focuses on books or activities I do with him. Nothing stands out as delayed.

But, he won't hold his own bottle and only takes it while being lap feed. He won't take it in his highchair during meals or snacks. He is one of those babies who had to adjust to not being held and carried everywhere, but that only took about a week and a half to cure. But those seem more like habits than delays.

I have sent home when he has thrown up at both breakfast and lunch, but I am thinking it is time to start sending home after the first time. I have been hesitating as I know he isn't sick. But its a real hassle, as you all know.
Reply Up