Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Respond
KIDZRMYBIZ 06:12 AM 11-12-2013
How would you guys respond to an extra request like this: Dcm asks me just this a.m. to dress 3yo dcg in tights/leotard for her dance class immediately following pick-up from dc. It's not something dcg can put on by herself, and it's rather delicate materials so I don't want to put it on her earlier - at a more convenient time than departures - to run around in and probably ruin.

I responded with a pained look and said, "If you just really can't leave your work a few minutes earlier to dress her, I will certainly try to get her in it between all the pick-ups. We'll manage."

I guess it just irritates me to be asked to do it. Of course something like that would be difficult to manage when I have 1 baby, 2 littles, and 3 other preKs to attend to as well. I just need an attitude adjustment, and should be flattered when dcps think I can do it all, and then some!
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 11-12-2013
NOPE. I have parents ask me all the time to do things like that.

I just say, "I'm sorry but that is one of the busiest times of the day. You are just going to have to pick her up early enough that she can dress at the studio. I'm sorry."

If you tell the parent to leave work early then they come to daycare and want to use your bathroom to change their kid.....MAJOR PITA at that time of the day.

I just politely tell them it is too chaotic for a parent to come in at the time and I cannot fit in changing the child at that time either, so it's on them.

Just apologize and smile. You don't HAVE to fill that awkward silence.

That usually gets providers to agree to do something they don't want to do.

Just say it won't work.
MamaBearCanada 07:25 AM 11-12-2013
If I did it I'd do it at a time convenient for me. I'd warn mom that it may get ruined - then it's her choice.
daycare 07:35 AM 11-12-2013
I did this for a family one time for swimming...NEVER again.

It was way too busy, the kids often didn't cooperate with me getting them in their clothing, it was out of their routine.

The DCP would tell me we need to pick up at 5 and I would have them all set to go only to not get here until 530-545, leaving the kids sitting in the waiting area for that long. Of course, they were fighting and getting into everything so after 3 days of it, I pulled the plug.

I would do as BC is stating and ask them to get here earlier so that they can get dressed at the studio or where ever they are going.
sharlan 07:55 AM 11-12-2013
If you feel like it's a request that you can't handle at this time, just let the mom know that it's her job to get the little one ready.

I never had an issue doing it. I always enjoyed getting the little girls ready and doing their hair. But, that's just me.
crazydaycarelady 08:06 AM 11-12-2013
I try to be as accommodating to my families as I can. I help the kids get their swimsuits or gymnastics clothes on to make it easier for their parents. It's not a big deal and takes like 2minutes.

I think being accommodating and easy to work with is one of the reasons I am full and at capacity always.
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I try to be as accommodating to my families as I can. I help the kids get their swimsuits or gymnastics clothes on to make it easier for their parents. It's not a big deal and takes like 2minutes.

I think being accommodating and easy to work with is one of the reasons I am full and at capacity always.
This is another really good example of how things work differently for everyone.

I am NOT accommodating outside my normally offered services and have very clear boundaries about rules/policies but yet I too, am always full, have VERY little issues with any of my DCF's, have a waitlist and get clients by word of mouth only.

There is a right fit for everyone and no wrong way of doing this.

Bottom line is do what YOU feel comfortable with and never ever put your family second.
daycare 08:34 AM 11-12-2013
I do have to say that I think that it also depends on the family. I have done this for other families in the past and it worked out great, but with the SWIM family, it didin't work out at all.
harperluu 08:46 AM 11-12-2013
I had a parent that asked me to make sure her kids hair was laying flat under her hat before I transport to preschool so her hair wouldn't be messed up for her preschool pictures.

I told her that I would not be responsible for how her hair looked for her pictures, and that she either wouldn't wear a hat or her hair might be messed up. It's 10 degrees outside. Plus she knows my husband does the transporting, so am I really going to give him the responsibility for making sure her daughter's hair stays straight?

And what if she puts dress up clothes on at school and it gets messed up before pictures. She asked nicely, but it's special requests like this that are totally unnecessary and sucks me into her neuroses. It seems so petty that I would decline, but if I had to keep the heads of 8 children in presentable form for pictures I would go batty. Take an hour or two off that morning, if you want to micromanage your child's hair.
daycarediva 08:53 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
How would you guys respond to an extra request like this: Dcm asks me just this a.m. to dress 3yo dcg in tights/leotard for her dance class immediately following pick-up from dc. It's not something dcg can put on by herself, and it's rather delicate materials so I don't want to put it on her earlier - at a more convenient time than departures - to run around in and probably ruin.

I responded with a pained look and said, "If you just really can't leave your work a few minutes earlier to dress her, I will certainly try to get her in it between all the pick-ups. We'll manage."

I guess it just irritates me to be asked to do it. Of course something like that would be difficult to manage when I have 1 baby, 2 littles, and 3 other preKs to attend to as well. I just need an attitude adjustment, and should be flattered when dcps think I can do it all, and then some!
I think for me, it would depend on the family, my schedule and how busy that specific time is for me. I have staggered drop offs, so if I could squeeze it in during a regular before pick up potty break without disrupting my schedule, I would do so for a good family.

If it was going to mess up my schedule, or the family was generally difficult, I would politely say that I couldn't accommodate it.
Childminder 08:53 AM 11-12-2013
Do what you are comfortable doing. Some people have no problem doing the extras and others are. I always tell parents I will try if I remember and have time. If you don't, trust me, they will not be the only one cramming little legs and toes in at class.
daycarediva 08:54 AM 11-12-2013
staggered pick ups, not drop offs.
WImom 09:01 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:

I do this too ONLY because it seems to go easier for me than for them because it's less of a transition change if I do it. I'd rather they leave right away than listen to a huge fight between parent and child not wanting to listen. Right now I'm getting a new girl ready to go 10 minutes before pick up since she is having trouble getting ready without throwing a huge fit not wanting to leave. She has been getting ready fine for me. I will slowly transition to not getting her ready though over the next month.
snbauser 09:21 AM 11-12-2013
I've done it before but I do it when it is convenient for the group. Normally this means right after snack. But I also tell them that I will try but can not guarantee that we will get to it everytime.
Leanna 10:22 AM 11-12-2013
This wouldn't be a big deal for me but all of my pick-ups are usually staggered. I could see if you had a big rush how that would be hard. I have had parents ask me to change their child's clothes for pick-up or will text me ahead and ask me to have all their outdoor gear on them if they need to make a speedy getaway on occasion. I don't mind at all.
MsLaura529 10:30 AM 11-12-2013
For me personally, it wouldn't be a big deal, but like others have said - my pick-ups are not all usually at the same time. Even so, I would still warn the parents, "I can do this, BUT I cannot guarantee that it will be in perfect shape from me doing so" ...
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:33 AM 11-12-2013
I have had one little one that does gymnastics. (has for the past year) She is picked up a half an hour early that day which is usually a little before everyone else. I dress her after snack so she has just gone potty. She takes off her clothes. I pull sweats on over top. Then we go ahead and play outside etc. I do make sure her hair is nice and neat that afternoon.
I do not mind getting her ready. If for some reason we don't get her dressed before mum gets here, she changes her quickly. I just like to have her ready.
This, like everything else falls into it's own schedule and routine.
Do what you are comfortable with.
TwinKristi 10:42 AM 11-12-2013
I have done this once for someone. It wasn't like an every week kinda thing, it was just once and not a big deal for me. I also have 2 SA boys who had to get ready for soccer practice, my DS and a DCB who's dad was also their coach. It wasn't a big deal to set a timer and just have them get ready at 4:45 knowing dad would be there by 5. Same with dance. I got her ready at 4pm knowing mom would be here at 4:10pm. I don't have 7 other kids here though.
SSWonders 11:33 AM 11-12-2013
I wouldn't have a problem doing that at this particular point in time because I only have 4 children here. It would be fairly easy for me to do.
craftymissbeth 11:46 AM 11-12-2013
I have infants and toddlers (three under 2 currently) so everyone gets a clean diaper, hair fixed, and clean clothes if necessary right before pick up. For me it's not a big deal simply because I enjoy it... I like sending them home better than they arrived.

Everyone does things differently and if it was too much of a disruption I certainly wouldn't do it.
jenn 12:28 PM 11-12-2013
I try to help, but at my own convenience. There is no way I could do it right at pick up time. I would tell the parent that I can get her ready a little before the first pick up and have her sit and do puzzles or something where she hopefully would not get messed up-no promises-or allow the parent to arrive a few minutes early and change her in the bathroom. Do what is comfortable for you. You are not required to do "extra", and you get to decide when and for who you do extra.
blandino 12:44 PM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is another really good example of how things work differently for everyone.

I am NOT accommodating outside my normally offered services and have very clear boundaries about rules/policies but yet I too, am always full, have VERY little issues with any of my DCF's, have a waitlist and get clients by word of mouth only.

There is a right fit for everyone and no wrong way of doing this.

Bottom line is do what YOU feel comfortable with and never ever put your family second.

I second this. I am at capacity with a wait list, and while I try and be as helpful as a I can, but I never want parents to expect or ask that I alter my day to make special arrangements for them.

To me it is almost insulting when they ask. It assumes that I have the extra time that they are too busy to give up. When in reality I have 12 kids I am in charge of - trying to keep them happy and safe and see each in on their way out. When all the parent would have to do is leave work 5 minutes earlier.

I will be as helpful as possible, but when a parent asks me to put in extra work or values their own time more than mine - then it's an issue for me. Not saying I get mad when they ask, but I am not willing to sacrifice my time and turn the daycare into chaos because they can't leave work a few minutes earlier.
Reply Up