Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Construction Zone At Daycare
DaveA 11:35 AM 03-07-2017
We're expanding our garage 24' by 24'. It's going to be a 2 car addition plus a bunch of storage and a better workbench area. Concrete contractor called last night with an opening so is trying to get the footings & foundation in this week. So right now my front/ side yard is a zoo of trucks, a skid steer, and a baby excavator. Just had the new infant this morning. Pre-k kids got off the bus and were stunned. I'll tell you those concrete guys fly. All the digging is done, forms for footings laid, rebar placed, and waiting on the cement truck. Have to warn all the DCPs they need to park on the street. Really cant see anything from the classroom. That hasn't stopped DCKs from being glued to the window.
Mike 11:42 AM 03-07-2017
Something new for them to see. Maybe one or 2 of them will decide to go into that business.
Blackcat31 11:48 AM 03-07-2017
That's awesome!! Any time we have any kind of construction happening around here it is instant entertainment!

My DH owns a skid steer and I've often thought of having him come into daycare with it and just drive it around the yard all day so the DCK's can watch!
DaveA 11:54 AM 03-07-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's awesome!! Any time we have any kind of construction happening around here it is instant entertainment!

My DH owns a skid steer and I've often thought of having him come into daycare with it and just drive it around the yard all day so the DCK's can watch!
I have used one for about 4 hours and hated every second. I grew up with a tractor and loader so I was too used to steering wheel, left/ right brake at right foot, and bucket controls at right hand. I couldn't do the bobcat's controls. They felt completely wrong
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:28 PM 03-07-2017
My kids would LOVE this. Anytime the driveway gets plowed, the neighbors are having work done, or the road is being worked on we set up a viewing gallery at the front window.
daycarediva 09:29 AM 03-08-2017
My dck's would be in heaven!
DaveA 06:09 PM 03-09-2017
They got the garage slab poured today and the new driveway part laid out/ graded. Tomorrow morning the set up edge boards and rebar. Depends on the temp if they can pout it tomorrow or not. If not probably be the middle of next week. This part DCKs can see from the classroom.
IMG_0809.jpg
Attached:
Mike 06:37 PM 03-09-2017
Are you going to let them personalize the slab?
DaveA 03:50 AM 03-10-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
Are you going to let them personalize the slab?
Probably not. If my own kids are home when they pour the driveway I might have them do a handprint. Of the non- school agers I have right now (aside from an infant) I have a child that thinks getting anything on her hands is "gross" and would absolutely freak out and another who would try to do a snow angel.
momofsix 05:01 AM 03-10-2017
So much fun! We had our old driveway torn out last year and a new one put in. Nice big window for the kids to watch it all happen from-they were glued to that window for as long as I allowed them to stay!
Enjoy your new space when it's finished!
Bookworm 06:43 AM 03-11-2017
A few years ago at my old center, they were repaving the road in front of the daycare. It was the greatest thing that could have happened for the kids. We even made a field trip out of going to the side of the road to get some asphalt so they could see what the road is made of.
Tags:construction, foundation, home repair
Reply Up