Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rocking
KiddieCahoots 09:07 AM 10-11-2014
Have a 1yr dcb who rocks back and forth, constantly.
When he was an infant, he would rock his baby car seat continually. When he had a toy he wouldn't, but when he put down the toy, or got easily bored with the toy, he would throw the toy and get rocking again. He would get that seat into the fullest swing it could, rocking back and forth.
He still arrives in the morning his seat, but does not sit in it at the child care, at all.
Now when he sits to play, or in his high chair to eat, in between his activity, he'll start rocking back and forth again. It's all day, every day.
My daughter has ADHD and was a bouncer in her bouncy seat, but not to this extreme.
Does this sound like it could be ADHD, neurological, or something else all together?
Thoughts please, thanks
TheGoodLife 09:37 AM 10-11-2014
My husband is one of 16, and I think almost all are or have been rockers. Just hereditary. I'd get up when we stayed at his parents and see his three youngest ones all sitting on the couch watching TV, rocking away incessantly, and older siblings in chairs doing the same.
Could be something, but could also just be a habit (with my husbands family, dad was the rocker, not mom, so it's not even like a "womb motion" they got used to.) does it inhibit their playing or development?
KiddieCahoots 10:09 AM 10-11-2014
It doesn't seem to hinder his development or playing.
He's is constantly on the go. As soon as there is a lull in his play or anything, he's rocking.
He has trouble sleeping, even when he is exhausted, and actually tries to get into a momentum of rocking from side to side in the pack n play too.
I've never seen anything like it and am stumped.
Indoorvoice 10:46 AM 10-11-2014
It sounds like he may be trying to get a sensory need met. Swinging, big hugs, weighted vests, and log rolling on the ground can help meet the needs that rocking does. My kids like it when I roll them up like a burrito in blankets. I swear I don't leave them like that!
NightOwl 12:37 PM 10-11-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
It sounds like he may be trying to get a sensory need met. Swinging, big hugs, weighted vests, and log rolling on the ground can help meet the needs that rocking does. My kids like it when I roll them up like a burrito in blankets. I swear I don't leave them like that!
Yes this! I have a sensory seeker and these things help him.
MotherNature 06:01 AM 10-13-2014
I agree-sensory seeker. My son is a big-time seeker too. Always in motion.
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I agree-sensory seeker. My son is a big-time seeker too. Always in motion.
Funny how opposite kids can be.

My son was the ABSOLUTE opposite (and he is an Aspie).

He HATES ALL motion...cried in the car, hated the infant swing and being rocked. Never ever used the swings on the playground and has never once gone on a carnival/fair ride. Not even the merry-go-round.

Simple hated any type motion at all.

My younger brother was a rocker though. Literally bounced his head off his pillow every night to put himself to sleep. He used to rock all the time.
melilley 10:42 AM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My younger brother was a rocker though. Literally bounced his head off his pillow every night to put himself to sleep. He used to rock all the time.
My dd did this every night. Some nights I would hear the banging and freak myself out thinking it was something else, until I remembered that it was probably her banging her head on her pillow.
Reply Up