Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would Drive A Child To Hide Things?
Josiegirl 02:28 AM 01-16-2015
Just turned 4 yo dcg hides stuff, every single day. Two days ago it was a card we were all painting handprints on. I was setting out paint for a dcg who hadn't added hers yet, dcp came to pick up and when we returned to the table, the card was gone. I asked where it was, looking at dcg, and she pulled it out from behind the trash. Same day I went into the bathroom, the stopper in the sink was missing, she retrieved from behind the toilet. Yesterday we searched for another dcg's stuffed bear and 4 yo dcg told us right where it was. She does this almost on a daily basis and at home too. Her mom said she hid her credit card once.

All I can think is she wants and thrives on this extra attention. Her brother is the same way, very sneaky. If you read about the 7 yo dcb messing with the thermostat, he's the one.
SquirrellyMama 05:42 AM 01-16-2015
Sounds like a game to them. They enjoy making other people look for things. Maybe a control issue. They are in control of the situation if they are the only ones that know where something is.

Kelly
nanglgrl 12:24 PM 01-16-2015
It could be that someone in their house is a practical joker. I often "hide" things when one of my family members turns away for a second and we get a good laugh. Now if someone in my hOuse can't find something they just look at me, even when I didn't do it! If the children saw someone do this and it ended up being funny and making a big impact on them it could be what's causing the behavior.
Josiegirl 03:42 PM 01-16-2015
Practical joker in the family, hmmm, I really don't know about that but I'm quickly losing my sense of humor with this girl.
We were getting ready to go outside and we came up a boot short. We looked all over the place for it, then it hit me. Of course. Dcg. I looked at her and asked her where she hid it. In the dog crate. Yep, there it was. I tried to explain to dcg that if she had left early we might not have found that boot before the other dcg went home. And THAT would not be good.
I wrote a note about dcg's behavior on their daily note but of course dcd picked up and he never takes papers out of the cubby. And I didn't notice because there were others coming/going at the same time.
I'm emailing this weekend. She's just pushing all my buttons this week.
daycare 04:05 PM 01-16-2015
I had a kid do this years ago and she was also 4.

i told her hide and seek is a two player game and only fun when two people play. it's not fun when you are the only one playing.

that worked at first, but then it started up again. I didn't draw too much negative reactions to it, and eventually she stopped. She was definitely doing it for attention.
KiddieCahoots 05:36 PM 01-16-2015
Maybe her belongings are regularly violated by her older 7yr sibling and she's developed a habit of hiding things to keep him from taking or getting into them.
Starburst 08:06 PM 01-17-2015
There could be lots of reasons for this:
She sees it as a game
She thinks it's funny/cute
Manipulation/ control issues (only she knows where it is, others have to stop what they are doing to find lost items, also causing everyone to get frustrated.)
Seeking attention
Doesn't fully understand boundaries/ concept of personal property
Mimicking (she saw someone hiding things for fun)

The important thing is that she needs to be taught that it's not funny or cute and that it can be dangerous to hid things from adults and that she has no right to hid things that do not belong to her. Maybe let her know that if this behavior continues that you can't trust her and you will have to away privileges to play with her favorite toys or do certain activities (if your not already planning on terminating).
Play Care 05:34 AM 01-18-2015
Originally Posted by Starburst:
There could be lots of reasons for this:
She sees it as a game
She thinks it's funny/cute
Manipulation/ control issues (only she knows where it is, others have to stop what they are doing to find lost items, also causing everyone to get frustrated.)
Seeking attention
Doesn't fully understand boundaries/ concept of personal property
Mimicking (she saw someone hiding things for fun)

The important thing is that she needs to be taught that it's not funny or cute and that it can be dangerous to hid things from adults and that she has no right to hid things that do not belong to her. Maybe let her know that if this behavior continues that you can't trust her and you will have to away privileges to play with her favorite toys or do certain activities (if your not already planning on terminating).

I had a child do this years ago. It was attention seeking. I had to make sure this child was never out of my sight. Even if she used the bathroom I was at the door.
Eventually it stopped.
Reply Up