Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Acid Reflux and sids?
NeedaVaca 11:31 AM 08-29-2014
Last night something really scary happened to me! I woke up in the middle of the night and could barely breath! I sat up and immediately starting making very loud wheezing sounds and trying to force air in. My DH woke up to see what was wrong because I was SO loud.

It was acid reflux of some sort but I have never had problems before. I knew it was acid from the taste in my mouth/throat. I'm guessing just a weird combination of something I ate. It lasted about 5 minutes and was seriously one of the scariest things only having the tiniest airway open! This morning the first thing I wondered was could this be the cause of sids?
melilley 11:46 AM 08-29-2014
Good question!
My dd had reflux. She would projectile vomit whole bottles. I was always worried that she would choke on her vomit. The doc told me to have her sit up for 30 minutes after eating and put her on meds. It subsided and by the age of 1, she didn't have it anymore. To test for it, they made her fast for 12 or 24 hours (she was around 2 months, that was he**!) and had her drink this drink and watched it go through her system through xray. You could see that the flap in the esophagus didn't close to keep the food down when it came back up. They said that if it wasn't corrected by the age of 1, they usually do surgery.

Probably too much information..lol
I wonder if there have been any studies done on this. They would more than likely die from choking on their vomit, so it probably wouldn't be sids, but you never know.
craftymissbeth 01:08 PM 08-29-2014
I have bad acid reflux at night. If I sleep on my stomach I aspirated the acid it is truly terrifying to basically feel yourself drowning. I once coughed so hard trying to get it all out I started coughing up blood. Not fun!

I can honestly say I can see a correlation, but I bet if they found liquid in their lungs, it wouldn't be SIDS.
NeedaVaca 01:14 PM 08-29-2014
It didn't feel like I was choking on liquid. It was more like the acid inflamed my throat and made it constrict? hmmm, well, whatever happened it was so scary and it just made me curious.
KiddieCahoots 04:51 PM 08-29-2014
Do you have allergies?
I know when I have this happen to me, I need my inhaler to open my airway.
NeedaVaca 05:33 PM 08-29-2014
No, I am completely healthy with no issues whatsoever.
MotherNature 10:43 AM 08-30-2014
So far, latest research thinks it's a brainstem neurological dysfunction. http://fox2now.com/2014/01/23/resear...eath-syndrome/
Reply Up