Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Owner's children cared for by someone else
Howl 10:58 AM 02-21-2015
Regulations state that the owner's children are included in the capacity limits when they're home. What if the owner's children are being cared for by another parent or a babysitter (employed by the parents, not part of the daycare) -- does it still apply?
daycare 11:01 AM 02-21-2015
Originally Posted by Howl:
Regulations state that the owner's children are included in the capacity limits when they're home. What if the owner's children are being cared for by another parent or a babysitter (employed by the parents, not part of the daycare) -- does it still apply?
If they are any where on the property it applies no matter how many adults you have at the home.

However, if you apply for a larger license 14 capacity then you would be ok but would always need two adults that are cleared by state once you go over small capacity.
Crystal 11:36 AM 02-21-2015
Owner's children count in ratios until age 10. If they are on site, they count, regardless of how many adults are there.
Starburst 11:41 AM 02-21-2015
Basically, any child under a certain age (some states it's 10 or 12, some under 18 if they are special needs) on your property counts. I have heard of only a few states where your own children don't count.

When her kids were toddlers, my former boss said she sent her kids to another provider friend's daycare (she started daycare way before they were born and still does it now that she is a grandmother). Her reasoning was that she wanted to prepare them for school when she wouldn't be there and so they wouldn't get jealous when she was working with the other kids.

But if you hire someone to watch your kids only for the sole purpose of opening two spots, you'll more or less be making about the same amount either way (unless you can find someone to watch them for free or for less then you charge). Private caregivers tend to charge more then group care providers ($10/hr for 8 hours is more expensive then $20 a day).

Originally Posted by daycare:
However, if you apply for a larger license 14 capacity then you would be ok but would always need two adults that are cleared by state once you go over small capacity.
Some states also require that you be in business for at least a year as a small license daycare before expanding to a large daycare.
Crystal 11:42 AM 02-21-2015
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Basically, any child under a certain age (some states it's 12 or 13, some under 18 if they are special needs) on your property counts. I have heard of only a few states where your own children don't count.

When her kids were toddlers, my former boss said she sent her kids to another provider friend (she started daycare way before they were born and still does it now that she is a grandmother). Her reasoning was that she wanted to prepare them for school when she wouldn't be there and so they wouldn't get jealous when she was working with the other kids.

Some states also require that you be in business for at least a year as a small license daycare before expanding to a large daycare.
That is the way it is in Cali. UNLESS you have experience working in child care or with children in some capacity for at least one year AND you can prove it. I only say this because OP is in Cali.
Howl 11:53 AM 02-21-2015
Thanks for the responses. All I can say is damn!

Starburst, do you know at what age your former boss sent her kids/grandkids to another caregiver?
Second Home 11:54 AM 02-21-2015
Her in MD your own children count if they are under 5 . Over five they do not count even in summer when school is out .
Howl 11:54 AM 02-21-2015
Never mind. I missed the "toddler" in your response.
Howl 11:56 AM 02-21-2015
That would be so much better for me but I could never leave the sun for the snow.

Originally Posted by Second Home:
Her in MD your own children count if they are under 5 . Over five they do not count even in summer when school is out .

Starburst 12:20 PM 02-21-2015
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
That is the way it is in Cali. UNLESS you have experience working in child care or with children in some capacity for at least one year AND you can prove it. I only say this because OP is in Cali.
That's why I mentioned it, I used to live in Cali (where I did my CD studies and was previously planning on opening my business). We moved out of state a few months ago.

Side note (bit OT): Since I don't live in CA anymore (no plans to move back), I figured it would seem weird for me to be the moderator of the California Girls social group on here. Would anyone like to take over? PM me.

Thanks for the responses. All I can say is damn!

Starburst, do you know at what age your former boss sent her kids/grandkids to another caregiver?
I haven't really talked to her since her granddaughter was born (about 2 or 3 years ago) but her daughter worked for her and they were trying to figure out (after a family discount) how much to garnish from her daughter's pay to cover the spot. She might have sent her kids to another provider around age 2 or 3, definitely did for preschool (even though she taught it).

I know that her son (oldest) had two preschool graduation ceremonies (one at another program and the others hers). That was the first graduation her program had and she's done one every year since (she's done daycare over 30 years and preschool graduations for over 25). So one plus is it could give you ideas of how to improve your program.
Blackcat31 01:42 PM 02-21-2015
That would be so much better for me but I could never leave the sun for the snow.
The sun is shining here even though it's only -20F
daycare 03:03 PM 02-21-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The sun is shining here even though it's only -20F
My freezer is warmer than where you live. Lol. What kind of clothing do you wear to live in a place like that.
AuntTami 03:11 PM 02-21-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
My freezer is warmer than where you live. Lol. What kind of clothing do you wear to live in a place like that.
Fleece, wool and underarmor! And many layers of each! Lol
NightOwl 04:42 PM 02-21-2015
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
Owner's children count in ratios until age 10. If they are on site, they count, regardless of how many adults are there.
Wow, 10? They don't count after they start public school here in Alabama. So 5 or 6.
284878 05:40 AM 02-22-2015
Depends on the state. When dh gets home my dd does not count in my ratio.
In the same sense, if a drop off and pick up were accruing at the same time, until the parents leave the drop off kids would not count. Pick up kids would official be in the care of parents.
Tags:providers own children
Reply Up