Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sand in eye
debbiedoeszip 08:14 AM 04-05-2017
Dcb got sand in his eye, and a fair bit of it. I brought the kids in and began trying to wash it out. Not having an eye wash kit, I tried prying the eye open and pouring tepid water over his eye from just above. Wasn't working as he'd clamp his eye closed as soon as the water hit his face. I texted mom, and then tried one last time, which made him cry. About five minutes later I noticed a blob of sand in the corner of his eye which I was able to gently dislodge. When I checked his eye again there was only one speck left on his lower lid (which had been full of sand) and the eye looked fine (no redness) and he seemed happy. He didn't want to stay at daycare and mom brought him home.

This type of accident hasn't happened so far and it wasn't covered in my first aid class. Was this a given that he should go home? That he should be seen by a doctor?
Blackcat31 08:24 AM 04-05-2017
I don't think he needed to go home or be seen by a Dr unless there is still sand in his eye or if he is experiencing alot of irritation. I think crying is the best thing that could have happened though as it is our body's natural process of cleaning out the eye of any debris.

I definitely think notifying mom though puts the ball in her court if she feels a Dr visit is applicable or not but I think sand in the eye is a pretty common child care (home or center ) as well as in school happening and I think you handled it no differently than I would have.

I usually encourage the kids to cry... just because it does help.
debbiedoeszip 08:29 AM 04-05-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't think he needed to go home or be seen by a Dr unless there is still sand in his eye or if he is experiencing alot of irritation. I think crying is the best thing that could have happened though as it is our body's natural process of cleaning out the eye of any debris.

I definitely think notifying mom though puts the ball in her court if she feels a Dr visit is applicable or not but I think sand in the eye is a pretty common child care (home or center ) as well as in school happening and I think you handled it no differently than I would have.

I usually encourage the kids to cry... just because it does help.
I did try to convince dcb to stay (mentioned we were having clam chowder for lunch...he's a fiend for clam chowder LOL) but I wasn't sure if I should have been. I don't charge families if I make the daycare unavailable to them. I'm now wondering if I should credit her for the day.
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 04-05-2017
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
I did try to convince dcb to stay (mentioned we were having clam chowder for lunch...he's a fiend for clam chowder LOL) but I wasn't sure if I should have been. I don't charge families if I make the daycare unavailable to them. I'm now wondering if I should credit her for the day.
I wouldn't. She choose to bring him home. It was her call and she choose to do so. In my eyes, that doesn't warrant credit since you ARE available but they are choosing not to use services.
childcaremom 08:49 AM 04-05-2017
I probably would have done the same thing. I just googled it and it sounds like you did exactly what you should have done.

If I ever doubt whether or not a child needs more medical attention, then I call parents and let them decide. I would have in this case to tell them that while I think I got most of it out, that if there is any further irritation I will call for pick up. Then the parents can decide whether or not to go to the doctor's from there.

And I would not refund any money, either.
debbiedoeszip 08:50 AM 04-05-2017
I wouldn't. She choose to bring him home. It was her call and she choose to do so. In my eyes, that doesn't warrant credit since you ARE available but they are choosing not to use services.
I did ask her to come since I wasn't able to wash the sand out on my own, and he would have flipped the eff out had she tried to leave without him.
Blackcat31 08:59 AM 04-05-2017
I see where you are coming from but I view this as "one of those things"... If we start getting super technical about crediting or time used etc....we have to look at ALL situations the same way and credit for everything....

Bleh.....too much work and too much stress over something that shouldn't be this complex.

You ARE available. Despite the reasons DCM did bring home, it doesn't change the fact that you ARE still available.

Look at it like this: Let's say DCM talks to him and they decide he wants to come back to care for the remainder of the day. Will you take him back?

If yes, then you ARE available and if you don't issue credits unless you are UNavailable then a credit is warranted this time.
debbiedoeszip 09:27 AM 04-05-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I probably would have done the same thing. I just googled it and it sounds like you did exactly what you should have done.

If I ever doubt whether or not a child needs more medical attention, then I call parents and let them decide. I would have in this case to tell them that while I think I got most of it out, that if there is any further irritation I will call for pick up. Then the parents can decide whether or not to go to the doctor's from there.

And I would not refund any money, either.
At the time that I called, his eye was still full of sand and I was having no luck washing it out. It was only after calling, and me trying again and causing dcb to start crying, that the sand washed out naturally.

Ugh, I hate this. I hate not knowing whether I acted properly.
debbiedoeszip 09:28 AM 04-05-2017
I see where you are coming from but I view this as "one of those things"... If we start getting super technical about crediting or time used etc....we have to look at ALL situations the same way and credit for everything....

Bleh.....too much work and too much stress over something that shouldn't be this complex.

You ARE available. Despite the reasons DCM did bring home, it doesn't change the fact that you ARE still available.

Look at it like this: Let's say DCM talks to him and they decide he wants to come back to care for the remainder of the day. Will you take him back?

If yes, then you ARE available and if you don't issue credits unless you are UNavailable then a credit is warranted this time.
Yes, you're right, I would take him back. Thanks!
Reply Up