Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Accurate temps with scan thermometers??
PB&J 07:24 AM 02-17-2021
As part of Covid precautions we take everyone’s temperatures daily at least twice. In the past, we used digital thermometers but that is way too time consuming for this purpose.

We purchased three different forehead scanners. Two are “point and shoot” and don’t touch skin, and one rubs across the forehead temple-to-temple. With all three, our “normal” readings are constantly 97.1 or 97.3 or rarely 97.9. I’ve noticed this when I go places that scan me, as well. Sooooo.... when do they have a “fever”?? If they come in and our scanner shows 98.6, to me that means they are already a degree higher than normal. I question parents about symptoms but hear “well their temperature is perfect!” I feel like if I get a reading of 99, that would be a fever to exclude, but I know the parents will argue it. Everyone seems to have a clear runny nose (“teething” of course) or the occasional cough... both slight enough to attend, until maybe paired with this elevated temperature. Am I worrying about nothing? With these scanner thermometers, have you revised your “exclusion” thresholds?
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 02-17-2021
I totally understand what your stress is. What I do is go off of the total package. Even if they have what a parent would call "normal" temp, if their symptoms and/or behaviors are out of the norm or tough to manage in group care, I suggest a day of rest at home.

I had one the other day that had no fever at all but his cough and runny nose made for an irritable child that was stressful not only for me but the other kids so I told the parent that I thought the child needed a day of rest at home.

Mom of course tried to argue that he wasn't running a temp and seemed fine at home. I told her, he probably does feel okay at home but in a group of other kids away from the comfort of home, his temperament was definitely worrisome. I also told her that based on that as well as his other mild symptoms a day of rest would probably do wonders for him.

She relented and kept him home. I am sure it will be exactly what he needs.

I usually try and stress to parents that when a child feels slightly off, that their stress level quickly becomes exaggerated when in a group of other kids that are loud and busy.

I also really push the idea that being PRO-active and taking a day of rest is much better than being sent home and having to take 2 or more days off.
daycarediva 10:21 AM 02-17-2021
We are currently operating as a well child only care. ANY symptom and they're home. We have been very cautious, our families have been very understanding, and we have remained open without a quarantine or a case, (so far!)

I found these thermometers inaccurate, too. I got the temporal kind (3 of them) and sanitize with an alcohol wipe between use. Only one kid actually runs under 98. The rest are 98-99.1 daily.
PB&J 11:19 AM 02-17-2021
Thank you both!
The “total package” of symptoms is what we usually do as well. It just stinks that it really seems “fever” is no longer part of that package with these scanners. So I’m worried that a kid who still seems mostly ok but with a slight runny nose and a temp of, say, 98.4 when it’s usually 97.1.... could pass on something that could turn into something more serious in our infants. I guess I shouldn’t borrow trouble.

We had been excluding for every symptom as well, but when winter sniffles came (and no FEVER...) that got harder. As well, (as a larger home-based place) we had a ton of kids legitimately hit prime teething age, so as long as the nose/drool was minimal.... it’s just hard to keep sending kids home! As a parent who HAS to be at work myself (ratios!) I tend to see “their” side when symptoms are small. It’s hard to know when something in one kid will take off.

We’ve made four thermometer purchases (one quit working)...I think at this point we are stuck with the ones we have.
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by PB&J:
Thank you both!
The “total package” of symptoms is what we usually do as well. It just stinks that it really seems “fever” is no longer part of that package with these scanners. So I’m worried that a kid who still seems mostly ok but with a slight runny nose and a temp of, say, 98.4 when it’s usually 97.1.... could pass on something that could turn into something more serious in our infants. I guess I shouldn’t borrow trouble.

We had been excluding for every symptom as well, but when winter sniffles came (and no FEVER...) that got harder. As well, (as a larger home-based place) we had a ton of kids legitimately hit prime teething age, so as long as the nose/drool was minimal.... it’s just hard to keep sending kids home! As a parent who HAS to be at work myself (ratios!) I tend to see “their” side when symptoms are small. It’s hard to know when something in one kid will take off.

We’ve made four thermometer purchases (one quit working)...I think at this point we are stuck with the ones we have.
Since you temp daily, use that record as a reference or as “proof” of illness/child being abnormal.
PB&J 12:52 PM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Since you temp daily, use that record as a reference or as “proof” of illness/child being abnormal.
Duh! Fabulous idea; I’m both embarrassed not to have thought of it and relieved that this board exists to bounce ideas/issues around.

I’ll have to see if our owners will let us update policy from a firm number to apply to everyone, to the idea of “fever-for-YOU”. As parents of young children, they have a vested interest in keeping the rules loose.... They generally trust our discretion, but we all have those parents who don’t hesitate to bring up anything in writing when it fits them. The “fever for you” will help as part of the total package plan, though, that’s for sure.
Tags:health screen, illness policy, temperature
Reply Up