Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Never Cashed the Check...
daycarediva 10:19 AM 10-19-2018
Let it go or call out daycare parents for it?

I make 12 deposits per week and I missed putting one in. It was in JUNE and I just caught it (putting quarterly tax stuff together).

No small amount, 350. Obviously parents are aware, as they had to add it back to their check book.

SO MAD at them right now. I would have asked my provider. They just let it go.
Ariana 10:21 AM 10-19-2018
If you cash it now it is going to be a tight month for them so they might learn their lesson. Personally I wouldn’t say anything because what is the point? They were trying to get away with something and now you know what kind of people they are
daycarediva 10:28 AM 10-19-2018
Isn't it too late to cash it now? Otherwise I already would have done so.

I marked it as paid, but never put it in. I'm typically meticulous about it, but this wasn't even in the right folder for the month, so it was just lost in the paperwork shuffle.
Snowmom 10:43 AM 10-19-2018
I'd cash it. I don't think there's any federal law against cashing a personal check unless it has something on it like "void after 90 days".
Annalee 10:48 AM 10-19-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Isn't it too late to cash it now? Otherwise I already would have done so.

I marked it as paid, but never put it in. I'm typically meticulous about it, but this wasn't even in the right folder for the month, so it was just lost in the paperwork shuffle.
Here the cut-off is six month.
Annalee 10:50 AM 10-19-2018
I would just say something like "hey guys, your previous check got filed in the wrong place and I will be depositing ASAP, if any problem I will let you know to write a new one".
amberrose3dg 10:50 AM 10-19-2018

I make 12 deposits per week and I missed putting one in. It was in JUNE and I just caught it (putting quarterly tax stuff together).

No small amount, 350. Obviously parents are aware, as they had to add it back to their check book.

I would try and cash it. Maybe go to their bank to get the funds?
Snowmom 10:51 AM 10-19-2018
And if it didn't clear, I'd make sure to print out a copy of the returned check and demand cash. I certainly wouldn't let it go.
Annalee 10:55 AM 10-19-2018
I am SURE the parents know it hasn't cleared and it is their fault if the funds are not in there. Haven't we all checked on a check that didn't clear in a certain amount of time..I have many times especially when dealing with my sons school things.
Blackcat31 10:56 AM 10-19-2018
My bank says personal checks are good for a year
I certainly wouldn’t let it go though...
daycarediva 11:08 AM 10-19-2018
I called the bank and they said 6 months. I deposited it (mobile) and it cleared.

I'll be honest, I will be double checking my business accounts now. I use my business CC and EVERYTHING goes on that- even my payroll, then I transfer one lump sum at the end of the month to pay it off.

and YES! I did send a heads up email to the parents letting them know. BUT they HAD to be aware it didn't clear. So they just added it back in and said "Yay, free week of DC."

If a check doesn't clear I always look into it. Just had one not go through for a sports fundraiser and it was driving me crazy as I kept having to delete 220-- from my bank balance to make sure my personal register was correct. It took just over a month and I asked the booster club director about it Sunday.
hwichlaz 11:09 AM 10-19-2018
I bet they don't know. A lot of people these days NEVER balance their checkbooks, especially if they only have one or two places they write checks to.
CalCare 11:42 AM 10-19-2018
Oh for me, I never would've noticed. I don't write checks except my son's after school program and a rare school thing where they insist on a check. I just glance online at my account every so often and see if anything out of the ordinary happened, like -$200 at Nordstrom or something. I would be like oh, wait, no, that wasn't me! I get my husband's paycheck auto deposited, all our bills go on their own. Last time I balanced a checkbook was when I got my first one, when I got my first job about 23 years ago 🤔.. I would do as suggested above and tell them, oops it was misfiled and heads up, I'm going to deposit it, so be ready!
happymom 01:43 PM 10-19-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I bet they don't know. A lot of people these days NEVER balance their checkbooks, especially if they only have one or two places they write checks to.
This.

I'd be careful about jumping to the conclusion that they are trying to get away with not paying for daycare. They likely never noticed.

Did their response make you believe that they thought they were getting away without paying for a week earlier this year?
Josiegirl 03:12 PM 10-19-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
That'd be me. Not that I write so few checks but I don't look at my monthly statement that closely.
Annalee 11:44 AM 10-19-2018
I don't write many checks either but I know when $5 is gone, much less $350 I check my account every morning

Oops meant to put this on the check thread by diva sorry!
KiwiKids 01:19 PM 10-19-2018
I would have noticed because I am more than a little OCD about numbers. My husband on the other hand would have never noticed.

As a parent I would have asked after two weeks if you lost the check and needed another. As a provider I would have handled it exactly the way you did.
Unregistered 09:00 AM 10-21-2018

Why are you SO MAD at them? It isn't the responsibility of them, your customer, to chase you around and make sure you are on top of YOUR finances and bookkeeping. You also do not know that they "added it back to their check book". Do you normally assume that your daycare families are thieves?

When I write a check I deduct the amount from my available funds and move on. Not my concern to follow up on the check. The money is there, whenever the check is cashed.
racemom 09:21 AM 10-21-2018
I probably wouldn't notice. I check my balance daily to make sure I don't get overdrawn. But with all the things coming and going out of my account, I don't usually know what is in there exactly. Our local gas station we charge at regularly doesn't deposit checks for a while (which is at least that amount normally because it is fuel, gas and propane). Many times when a check from them goes through I have to look at the image to find out what it was! So I can see where that can happen.

I would deposit it now, or mention to them you just found it and so heads up it will be coming through their bank.
sahm1225 02:05 PM 10-21-2018
Not trying to change the topic but today we went to a karate tournament where we had paid in Advance two weeks ago. The registration desk gave me the hardest time because I didn’t report to them that they hadn’t cashed the check and tried basically saying that an honest person would’ve reminded them to cash it.
Our local school sometimes takes months to cash checks so it didn’t even cross my mind to report it to them. Just thought it was interesting that they felt two weeks was plenty of time where your parents didn’t say anything after months
littlefriends 04:20 AM 10-22-2018
It drives me nuts when I write a check and whatever it’s written to takes an eternity to cash it. That money has to just sit in there waiting and I have to remember not to spend it because it could come out at any time because it’s alrea “spent”. I will wait a couple weeks and then I always ask if they’ve had a chance to get it to the bank. I wrote a check for school pictures back at the beginning of September and I’m still waiting on it to get cashed!!
Cat Herder 05:22 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Our local school sometimes takes months to cash checks so it didn’t even cross my mind to report it to them.
This is why I opened the separate bill payment account. It took 4 months for school pictures to come out, 6 months for PTA membership and almost a year for graduation fees to clear.

Anything that goes into that account is spoken for and when it finally clears I strike it from my bill ledger. Many organizations take forever to deposit checks.
BrynleeJean 07:47 AM 10-22-2018
id personally probably be so embarrassed i wouldn't even bring it up.
I completely get forgetting to cash checks. Ive gone until the following payday meaning the next day the parents were supposed to pay tuition and have realized i haven't even made it to the bank. Now i mobile deposit my checks and file them(in case it doesn't deposit right) as soon as i get them so I don't do this anymore.
but if i did for some reason really want to go about it, I would tell the parents it was my bad, I did forget to deposit it a few months back and at that point if the parent is willing to PAY for my mistake meaning they want me to cash it now then id do so still feeling bad. Or if they didnt id just apologize again and make sure that didnt happen again

And I wouldn't be too quick to think they noticed the money not taken out though that very well may be true. I know a lot of younger families that dont balance their accounts regularly. Me being one of them. because everything is digital. I may scroll through my banks site every once in a while for a detail I'm looking for but for the most part we unless something looks really off we don't go searching for each payment and statement.
Meeko 12:17 PM 10-22-2018
I only have one parent left who still writes me a check. All other clients, and all new clients are to pay cash or use Venmo only.

I mobile deposit the check as soon as I get it.
lovemykidstoo 04:21 PM 10-22-2018

I have to agree to the one post that "unregistered" posted and wondered why you would be mad at them. I have saved up checks before to help pay for vacation and the parents never said anything. I figured that if I didn't cash them, I wouldn't spend them and I would have them for vacation LOL. The parents knew that they gave me the check and if I lost it, I would ask for a replacement, so they never said anything. I never assumed they were trying to scam money off of me. I would honestly wonder how you didn't notice you were short that. I would notice immediately if I was short money. How did they act when you contacted them about cashing it?
Unregistered 04:52 PM 10-22-2018

If it's taken you this long to notice this "No small amount" as you call it, then why is it so hard to believe that it may have gone unnoticed on their part as well??? Why are you assuming the worst?
Blackcat31 05:10 PM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If it's taken you this long to notice this "No small amount" as you call it, then why is it so hard to believe that it may have gone unnoticed on their part as well??? Why are you assuming the worst?

You made your point in your first post.

Pretty sure OP was unsure of how to handle this; hence her posting in the first place asking for input from others.

OP is a long time member here that has a good reputation for being fair. It’s not her nature to treat her families poorly and obviously this has never happened to her before

Clearly this topic is a sore spot for you.
lovemykidstoo 05:16 PM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You made your point in your first post.

Pretty sure OP was unsure of how to handle this; hence her posting in the first place asking for input from others.

OP is a long time member here that has a good reputation for being fair. It’s not her nature to treat her families poorly and obviously this has never happened to her before

Clearly this topic is a sore spot for you.
Typical troll. Hides behind an anonymous name. I think maybe there's more to this family than meets the eye that's why I wondered why she was mad. Maybe more to it. I agree that Daycarediva is a wonderful part of this forum and enjoy communicating with her.
daycarediva 05:38 PM 10-22-2018
Well, gee.

Anyway, this is a family with known issues. It was a rough start, trying to get away with things. Eg. They started paying cash, but there were discrepancies with their envelope. They shorted me $100 and swore up and down it was all in the envelope. The very next payment it was short $20 and I counted it in front of Dad. That’s when they switched to check or electronic invoice only.

If it was another family, I would not have assumed they knew. Money is also tight/short.

My account is something I barely look at. I balance it monthly. Lesson learned. I mobile deposit a check, verify it cleared, move on. I totally missed depositing this check so never double checked it.

I emailed them, they responded. It was the week before their vacation so they just figured I didn’t charge them. They know I charge for enrollment not attendance, as it’s come up.

I am now paid. Dad is MAD. Mom is embarrassed.
lovemykidstoo 05:41 PM 10-22-2018
Well, gee.

Anyway, this is a family with known issues. It was a rough start, trying to get away with things. Eg. They started paying cash, but there were discrepancies with their envelope. They shorted me $100 and swore up and down it was all in the envelope. The very next payment it was short $20 and I counted it in front of Dad. That’s when they switched to check or electronic invoice only.

If it was another family, I would not have assumed they knew. Money is also tight/short.

My account is something I barely look at. I balance it monthly. Lesson learned. I mobile deposit a check, verify it cleared, move on. I totally missed depositing this check so never double checked it.

I emailed them, they responded. It was the week before their vacation so they just figured I didn’t charge them. They know I charge for enrollment not attendance, as it’s come up.

I knew there was something underlying with this fam because you are not the type of person from what I can tell that be upset otherwise. Why the heck was dad mad? That's really ignorant of him.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:00 PM 10-22-2018
Well, gee.

Unregistered needs to chill.

I wonder if dad is mad because mom knew about the discrepancy and used the money elsewhere and now they are short?

Regardless, its money you are owed and they can be cranky about it, but that wont change.
Tags:checks, deposits
Reply Up