Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Do I Give Them To Make Up Their Mind?
melskids 04:57 AM 06-09-2011
OK ladies. i had my first interview in 4 years on sunday. (i have been very lucky in finding long term clients who keep having babies)

i know they were going to other interviews on monday. i dont really care either way if they choose me on not. they were OK, but i wasnt really "feeling" it, if you know what i mean....so if they choose someone else...no biggy.

they were supposed to call me on monday to let me know. i haven't heard from them yet.

they didn't leave a deposit...i didnt require one, as i'm not in a hurry to fill these spots

how long should i give them to call me? i just think its rude that they haven't yet...i'm feeling like when they DO call...i'm gonna say "sorry, the spots have been filled"

i hate people who think i just wait around waiting for them to bless me with their business
Meeko 05:17 AM 06-09-2011
Until you have a signed contract and check in your hand......assume they aren't going to be coming to you.

I keep interviewing until I get that. It's up to them to contact you.
wdmmom 06:19 AM 06-09-2011
Did you get an email address? I usually send out an email within 48 hours of doing the interview thanking them for their time and letting them know that I am available to answer any additional questions that arise.

I would go that route (if applicable) and hope that you hear back.

If you don't hear anything within a week of the interview, start advertising and interviewing other families.
melskids 06:36 AM 06-09-2011
Hmmm.... they dont need me until august, so i'm wondering if they thought i was just gonna hang out and wait until then. miscommunication on my part i guess. but i specifically told them to call me monday night to let me know either way. she asked if i had other prospects, and i was honest and said no, not at this time. but someone called the next day...
momma2girls 06:37 AM 06-09-2011
I would definately require a holding fee and I would not hold it, til the contract is signed, keep interviewing.
Meyou 06:38 AM 06-09-2011
I tell prospective families that I do not hold spots and that it's fair game for anyone I interview until I have a signed contract in hand, a start date and a deposit.
melskids 07:06 AM 06-09-2011
thanks ladies....live and learn! ive aways had parents sign on for pretty much the next day! and i havent had to interview in a long time!!! ive never had anyone NOT call back right away...so i wasnt sure how to handle it.

i feel kinda guity moving on....but if they wanted me that bad, they would have called back sooner, right?
daycare 07:26 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
thanks ladies....live and learn! ive aways had parents sign on for pretty much the next day! and i havent had to interview in a long time!!! ive never had anyone NOT call back right away...so i wasnt sure how to handle it.

i feel kinda guity moving on....but if they wanted me that bad, they would have called back sooner, right?
I would call back and thank them for interviewing with you and ask if there are any additional questions that they have.
I am not sure how many interviews you do, but if you do two, like me, then ask them if they would like to move forward and schedule a second interview.
If I dont really care for someone I would just let them go, however, if I really liked them and thought it was a good fit I would call or email them.
littlemissmuffet 07:31 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
OK ladies. i had my first interview in 4 years on sunday. (i have been very lucky in finding long term clients who keep having babies)

i know they were going to other interviews on monday. i dont really care either way if they choose me on not. they were OK, but i wasnt really "feeling" it, if you know what i mean....so if they choose someone else...no biggy.

they were supposed to call me on monday to let me know. i haven't heard from them yet.

they didn't leave a deposit...i didnt require one, as i'm not in a hurry to fill these spots

how long should i give them to call me? i just think its rude that they haven't yet...i'm feeling like when they DO call...i'm gonna say "sorry, the spots have been filled"

i hate people who think i just wait around waiting for them to bless me with their business
I give 24 hours from the end of the interview. Holding fee and signed contract is due upon their decision of enrollment. If it's not here by midnight, the space goes to someone else.
wdmmom 07:48 AM 06-09-2011
Don't let them make up their mind, you make it up. If this is a family you want to work for, initiate contact. Tell them it was a pleasure to meet with them, tell them you have other prospective clients for the spot and ask if they want to schedule a 2nd interview.

If not, advertise and select the family best suited for your program. It has to be a mutual decision. They have to want to come to you and you have to want to work for the family as well. Put your best foot forward and see where it takes you. The worst they can do is say no.
Sunshine44 08:03 AM 06-09-2011
hmm, did you tell them to call you even if they picked someone else? I wouldn't expect a family to call me and tell me they don't want to use me. I'd just expect they would call me if they DID want to use me. I wouldn't wait around for them unless they put a deposit down.
melskids 08:37 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
hmm, did you tell them to call you even if they picked someone else? I wouldn't expect a family to call me and tell me they don't want to use me. I'd just expect they would call me if they DID want to use me. I wouldn't wait around for them unless they put a deposit down.
yeah..i did kinda say "give me a call tomorrow night either way." and she said OK.....
Sunshine44 11:18 AM 06-09-2011
If you asked her to and she agreed, then she should call. Otherwise I wouldn't expect a call. But if they said they would, then it is rude to not.

I personally wouldn't wait more than a couple of days for them. Fill the spot if someone comes along and seems like a fit.
Mom_of_two 11:27 AM 06-09-2011
I don't give any time. I tell everyone that until they choose to commit to the spot and give me the deposit to hold it it could go to someone else. If I have other interviews I might tell them, or if I don't I might tell them, but say you never know when someone will call. Then, I don't have to worry- no deposit, the spot is open.
Cat Herder 11:29 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Until you have a signed contract and check in your hand......assume they aren't going to be coming to you.

I keep interviewing until I get that. It's up to them to contact you.
What she said.... except in cash.
SimpleMom 12:39 PM 06-09-2011
I never wait or call people. I find that if it's going to work, we'll both know pretty quick. if i have an interview and they don't leave a deposit, i keep interviewing. i let people know that as well.
i just had an interview like that last week and the said they would call this week. had more interviews since then. someone came by that is a great fit, left a deposit. spot os theirs. done interviewing.
so, i wouldn't wait around.

snbauser 05:17 PM 06-09-2011
I don't wait. Whether I have other potential clients or not I always tell them that spots are available on a first come first serve basis. I continue to advertise and interview until I have all of the paperwork and a deposit in hand. I agree with the pp who said you decide whether or not you want to work with this family. If you want to, then contact them and just tell them you are following up with them.
Mike Lassiter 05:48 PM 06-09-2011
Some of you have learnt that people just can't keep their word. I am somewhat different I guess. I looked at a tractor a few years back and told them I would call them back and let them know something. I called them and told them I was not interested in the tractor, and the guy acted really surprised. That voice in my head kept nagging me. You shouldn't have told them you would call back if you weren't going to do it! Ok, you win so I called to keep the inner voice happy.
Most of you it seems have learnt to keep searching until someone makes a commitment. I would too. If you hold out for one you may miss out altogether.
I am learning alot from all here. Hope we get our thing going soon.
Cat Herder 05:57 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter:
Most of you it seems have learnt to keep searching until someone makes a commitment. I would too. If you hold out for one you may miss out altogether.
I am learning alot from all here. Hope we get our thing going soon.
I will explain it to you the way I explained it to my DH when he asked why I pass over the ones who don't commit instantly.

It is kind of like spotting the woman of your dreams from across the room. When you know you found exactly what you were looking for it is instant.....

When you have to make a pros/cons list and decide to ask her out because you have not found anyone better....it just does not work out the same....

It is the same with daycare, especially when they start trying to change you to fit what they originally wanted...YKWIM.
melskids 02:33 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I will explain it to you the way I explained it to my DH when he asked why I pass over the ones who don't commit instantly.

It is kind of like spotting the woman of your dreams from across the room. When you know you found exactly what you were looking for it is instant.....

When you have to make a pros/cons list and decide to ask her out because you have not found anyone better....it just does not work out the same....

It is the same with daycare, especially when they start trying to change you to fit what they originally wanted...YKWIM.
omg! thats EXACLY what i felt they were doing to me too. i am NOT a traditional academic preschool....i do things....differently...lol of course i am cheaper then centers, (they are CLEARLY center parents) so i was afraid they were going to choose me simply for that reason, and then complain that i didnt do things the "right" way.

if you are looking for traditional preschool in a center, WHY would you even bother interviewing at a play based in home family daycare?!

so i "heard" a few things they were already complainng about....

she looked me up on FB....too chicken to even call....and say they weren't sure yet on their decision.

so i messaged her back with a "thanks but no thanks" (very pleasant and professional though)

and i'm going to move on...

thanks for your help ladies. although ive been doing this awhile...i'm new to interviewing...(original families just keep having babies) and ive never come across parents like that.

i will def. be charging a deposit from now on to secure a spot.
Tags:deposit agreement, holding spot policy
Reply Up