Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wording for A Holding Fee
Second Home 05:26 AM 05-04-2016
I never hold spots and have never taken a fee to hold a spot. I get many calls for infant care and the baby isn't due for months and most people want a guarantee of a spot but don't want to pay for the spot for months . So I let them know they can come for an interview but I won't hold the spot for that long .

I decided that I will hold a spot for 2 months with a holding fee .The fee is non refundable and is not applied to care when the child starts care . It would be just to keep the spot for them . I also am not sure how much of a fee to charge , does 2 weeks of their weekly rate sound right ? Could someone share the wording they use for their holding fee ?
Blackcat31 05:34 AM 05-04-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I never hold spots and have never taken a fee to hold a spot. I get many calls for infant care and the baby isn't due for months and most people want a guarantee of a spot but don't want to pay for the spot for months . So I let them know they can come for an interview but I won't hold the spot for that long .

I decided that I will hold a spot for 2 months with a holding fee .The fee is non refundable and is not applied to care when the child starts care . It would be just to keep the spot for them . I also am not sure how much of a fee to charge , does 2 weeks of their weekly rate sound right ? Could someone share the wording they use for their holding fee ?
Are you holding an actual open space or just holding as in, "your family is guaranteed this space" WHEN it becomes available?

That ^ would make a difference to me.

If I am just holding it as promise to let a particular family have the space, I'd charge anywhere from 50% of regular fees and up but if I was holding an open space, I'd charge the full amount because I refuse to lose money so that someone else may save money.
Second Home 06:50 AM 05-04-2016
I have a family who is interviewing but they do not need the spot until August . So I would be willing to hold the open spot until August with the holding fee for them.( I am willing to do this because it is a teachers family . I have 2 other teachers families , I like not having to worry about snow days and spring / winter breaks with my family. )
AmyKidsCo 08:48 PM 05-04-2016
My handbook says I charge a holding fee, but I usually don't because most of the time I don't have another family interested in the spot. I usually just charge the non-refundable enrollment fee and first week's tuition then tell them that I won't charge the holding fee as long as no one else is interested in the spot, but if another family wants to enroll they'll get the choice of whether to pay the full amount to hold the spot or give it up and hope there's another opening when they need it.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:39 AM 05-05-2016
Years ago I had the same issue. I even had some parents pay the full tuition the entire time I held the space. I actually developed a Pre-Enrollment Program just to address those types of parents. While I usually do not hold open spots, the program allows for me to plan when future spots will open up and pre-enroll up to six months ahead of time.

Currently, I charge the equivalent of a weekly tuition rate for each month that I hold the spot. If you would like more info on how I use my PEP program, just send me a PM with your email and I would love to share.
Tags:holding fee, holding spot letter, holding spot policy
Reply Up