Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can Someone Teach Me To Cook Steak?
daycare 04:22 PM 02-23-2011
Im a vegan and my husband is 100% caveman...so I call him.

I have never cooked meat before and I thought that i would do something nice for him tonight by making him a steak dinner.

I tried to read some online, but I have no clue if the taste is standard or subpar? I bought NY steak, I think that is what the butcher called it...lol

any one have ideas??
missnikki 04:32 PM 02-23-2011
Tenderize it (poundit w/. meat tenderizer tool, like a spiky hammer or fork some shallow holes all around it both sides) Put it in a ziplock, with some beer, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic salt, and pepper. Let it sit for at least an hour.

You can grill it on the BBQ, or broil it in your oven.

Either way, heat up grill/ broiler first to kinda really hot.
For BBQ (recommended):
Place on heated grill on high heat for about 2 minutes each side. Turn down flame or move over to less direct flame and let sit on there for about 3 more minutes each side for medium rare, or about 5 min each side for med- med well.

For Broil:
Depending on your oven: I would say to put on a broiler rack and do the same as above but remember the heat is coming from above rather than below, and maybe not cook as long.

Rare: pink in middle
med-rare: May be cooked thru on outside edges but about 50% pink in middle
med-well: Mostly brown all the way thru
Well done: Brown throughout, a little 'toasted' on fatty edges

most common for NY cut is med-rare.

ONE EXTRA TIDBIT:
I like to baste it partway through cooking with butter or olive oil, for extra juiciness and crisp on outside.

OK, Yum.
jessrlee 04:33 PM 02-23-2011
Grill:
sprinkle your steak with garlic salt and ground black pepper on both sides. Let it sit for about 20 min. Heat up your grill to medium and toss the steak on there. let cook for about 5-7min and flip. Then cook for another 5-7min.

Broiler: same as above but you might have to increase the time to 7-9min both sides.
daycare 04:44 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
Tenderize it (poundit w/. meat tenderizer tool, like a spiky hammer or fork some shallow holes all around it both sides) Put it in a ziplock, with some beer, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic salt, and pepper. Let it sit for at least an hour.

You can grill it on the BBQ, or broil it in your oven.

Either way, heat up grill/ broiler first to kinda really hot.
For BBQ (recommended):
Place on heated grill on high heat for about 2 minutes each side. Turn down flame or move over to less direct flame and let sit on there for about 3 more minutes each side for medium rare, or about 5 min each side for med- med well.

For Broil:
Depending on your oven: I would say to put on a broiler rack and do the same as above but remember the heat is coming from above rather than below, and maybe not cook as long.

Rare: pink in middle
med-rare: May be cooked thru on outside edges but about 50% pink in middle
med-well: Mostly brown all the way thru
Well done: Brown throughout, a little 'toasted' on fatty edges

most common for NY cut is med-rare.

ONE EXTRA TIDBIT:
I like to baste it partway through cooking with butter or olive oil, for extra juiciness and crisp on outside.

OK, Yum.
ok you all have me stumpped..
lol

spiky hammer?? lol I am sifting through my drawers and not seeing one...
and broil? does this mean in a pan on the stove top?

sorry if I sound dumb its becuase I am when it comes to cooking steaks
laundrymom 04:58 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
ok you all have me stumpped..
lol

spiky hammer?? lol I am sifting through my drawers and not seeing one...
and broil? does this mean in a pan on the stove top?

sorry if I sound dumb its becuase I am when it comes to cooking steaks
Bring it to room temp. Salt pepper. And cook it less than you think you can always reheat or cook longer. You cant uncool it. Google meat doneness using hand tenderness. Different areas of your hand feel like different doneness of steak. Good luck. Don't over cook that's the biggest mistake people make. Personally I like mine rare.
jessrlee 05:04 PM 02-23-2011
Your oven should have a broil setting, it is very high heat from just the top element. (Or some have a broiler under the oven) There will be a pan down there or just use an old cookie sheet.
Cat Herder 05:09 PM 02-23-2011
The broiler pan is the two part pan that came with your stove, the top one has the holes in it and the bottom one catches the grease.

Turn your stove to "broil" so only the top gets hot, be sure to flip the steak occasionally and don't put your rack on the highest setting or you could get it "char-broiled".....

Missnikki has the rest down to a "T"....

I prefer mine on the grill w/charcoal, rare...but broiled is good, especially with that seasoning. (the way my Dad makes it)
daycare 05:21 PM 02-23-2011
All of you guys rock thank you so so much
I'll let u know how it goes
Cat Herder 05:24 PM 02-23-2011
I think it is so sweet of you to do this....

I am waiting up for mine as we speak...

Well, speak of the devil... let's go have some hot chocolate in the recliner...

Good night, hun!!
jessrlee 05:39 PM 02-23-2011
You are such a good wife! We have some vegan friends, she wouldn't marry him unless he converted. We went to see them last month and I about starved! I told DH next time we are staying in a hotel so I can butter my toast and have heat!
daycare 07:52 PM 02-23-2011
I'm the only one in my house. It's a preference. I have been this way my entire life. My parents never ate healthy and were very very unhealthy and over weight. So I chose this diet as a very young child.
Mom said she stopped wasting good food on me like steak and cheese so she never forced me. My kids don't like it and my husband does not either but I have also never asked them to change their eating habits.
Lol my sister used to comPlain that I only had bird seed at my house. Lol.
She goes grocery shopping before she comes.
blessed mom 09:07 PM 02-23-2011
How did the dinner go? What a sweet wife you are! I appreciate this thread cuz well...I will eat meat but I can't cook! Well I can do basic cooking but nothing real fancy. I can cover all the comfort foods...lol! I was a latch key kid so ya...never got cooking experience. Also, I have a hubby that should be a chef and actually ENJOYS cooking. This is foreign to me but I do like to try and cook every now and then to surprise him. Thanks for the thread!
dEHmom 05:37 AM 02-24-2011
I'm late on this....
Low and slow is how you cook it. And if you stab with a fork, and blood comes up out of the holes, it's still red and bloody inside.
daycare 07:54 AM 02-24-2011
so I did what you all said... My husband loved it! and was so shocked..; he said how did you cook something so yummy that you don't even know how it taste to see if you needed to add less or more??

so thanks so much to all of you for your help.

btw I found the hammer tool, my son (15) found it for me....he was laughing the entire time I was cooking telling me that it was going to suck, but even he loved it when all was said and done..
dEHmom 08:17 AM 02-24-2011
each type of steak requires a different trick to cook it.

One thing i like to do, but dh says it's a waste of steak is

inside round steaks

season and brown slowly each side.

Stir in tomato soup (enough to cover the steaks completely). For each 1 can of soup, put in 1/4 can of water.

Add anything you like,
Worcestershire sauce
celery
peppers
etc to the sauce.

Simmer for a few hours minimum.

Steaks will melt in your mouth. Sauce is great over top of rice. Or you can just serve it without the sauce.
daycare 10:24 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
each type of steak requires a different trick to cook it.

One thing i like to do, but dh says it's a waste of steak is

inside round steaks

season and brown slowly each side.

Stir in tomato soup (enough to cover the steaks completely). For each 1 can of soup, put in 1/4 can of water.

Add anything you like,
Worcestershire sauce
celery
peppers
etc to the sauce.

Simmer for a few hours minimum.

Steaks will melt in your mouth. Sauce is great over top of rice. Or you can just serve it without the sauce.
lol rice... that word is evil in my house...lmao

I love brown rice, husband wont eat rice, and the kids only want white asian sticky rice....lmao

I am going to try your idea tonight... I had a lot of fun last night doing something new and the fact that my hubby loved it was a new found way into his heart.... normally he hates the food I eat...he calls it rabbit food...lol
dEHmom 10:31 AM 02-24-2011
it was a new found way into his heart
sure....into his heart eh

it's swiss steak. There are different recipes floating around, but this is my recipe. I'm a picky eater

tonight I'm making something else hubby says is a waste (waste of bacon)

I chop up and fry bacon....

Cook white rice, add bacon to rice, butter (or a little bacon grease if you wanna get naughty!), dill, salt/pep, and onions if you want (barf). Bacon dill rice voila!

Just the inside of a cabbage roll but I hate cabbage rolls.

This freezes well, so I portion into single servings, freeze and just heat 1 min when I want some.
squareone 10:32 AM 02-24-2011
so I did what you all said... My husband loved it! and was so shocked..; he said how did you cook something so yummy that you don't even know how it taste to see if you needed to add less or more??

so thanks so much to all of you for your help.

btw I found the hammer tool, my son (15) found it for me....he was laughing the entire time I was cooking telling me that it was going to suck, but even he loved it when all was said and done..
I'm so glad that he liked it. I agree that you are a wonderful wife to do that for him. I don't cook things that I don't eat. So if DH wants it, he makes it himself or will have to go to his mom's.
daycare 10:39 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
I'm so glad that he liked it. I agree that you are a wonderful wife to do that for him. I don't cook things that I don't eat. So if DH wants it, he makes it himself or will have to go to his mom's.
Well, i was never opposed to it, I just never knew how or was to grossed out by the meat to touch it... My kids said it was quite the show last night watching me in the kitchen cooking the steaks..

I put on rubber gloves and had a close pin on my nose....the gloves I did on purpose, the close pin was to make the kids laugh...you know spice up the drama....lmao
missnikki 03:21 PM 02-24-2011
Well glad he liked it. Nice job trying something new for him, I think I'm inspired. My DH is gonna get something good tonight..off to figure out what...
dEHmom 05:57 AM 02-25-2011
my dh hates when I get creative. And he usually doesn't like it. lol. If meat is not on the grill, he thinks it's a waste....

some of those crockpot recipes look great though.
squareone 06:01 AM 02-25-2011
Well glad he liked it. Nice job trying something new for him, I think I'm inspired. My DH is gonna get something good tonight..off to figure out what...
Keep in mind that the "something good" doesn't necessarily have to come from the kitchen!
missnikki 06:04 AM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
Keep in mind that the "something good" doesn't necessarily have to come from the kitchen!
It didn't.
Michelle 06:11 AM 02-25-2011
thanks a lot I'm hungry now
daycare 06:49 AM 02-25-2011
Maybe my my mind is in the gutter but that was so darn funny to read!!
Hope you had a fun night!!!
missnikki 08:05 AM 02-25-2011
Maybe my my mind is in the gutter...
It's not the gutter if you're married, amIrite?!?
daycare 08:48 AM 02-25-2011
It's not the gutter if you're married, amIrite?!?
ok I just didnt wanna sound like a perv.....lmao

Yes you are so right!!
Reply Up