Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacation Question--WWYD?
SilverSabre25 12:05 PM 04-13-2011
More specifically, would you do it?

I'm due May 31; but personally expect baby to be born a couple weeks before that--of course, he could be born up to two weeks after that as well. When he's born, I'm taking one week--yes, just one week--off, unpaid.

I get 14 days of PAID vacation per year; so far I've taken only two of those days. I don't have any more vacation days scheduled.

My DH and I always go to a gaming convention that's the last week of June. It's here in our city and a full five days of one of my/our favorite hobbies--strategy boardgames! (Ever heard of Settler's of Catan? That's just the tip of the ice berg of what we like to play).

I had been planning on skipping it this year, since I'll have just had that week off for the baby. But now I'm thinking...hey...I really don't want to miss it! It's going to be a piece of CAKE with a newborn in tow! And I can probably have DD go down to her grandparents' for a few days. I'm feeling sad at the idea of missing out on something I've been to every year for, well, I think that this would be my tenth, maybe more. I love it. I don't want to miss it. But I'm afraid my dcparents would be really annoyed/mad.

Would you take off for it, at least for a couple of days? Or do you think you would skip it because of having just taken a week recently?
cheerfuldom 01:17 PM 04-13-2011
I personally would save those days just in case something goes on with the baby situation. What if you have a c section? What if the recovery does not go as planned? What if baby gets sick or something else is wrong? I am not saying this to worry you but I like to be prepared for any possible scenario. I have a baby due mid May and while I don't expect to be out too long, I am saving all my time off and whatnot for the possibility that my plans don't go as planned. If you take maternity leave, then vacation and then something else comes up, you might lose a family that is just getting tired of your personal life. I guess it depends on if you can risk losing anyone. Right now, I can't.
ninosqueridos 01:21 PM 04-13-2011
If I had that many paid vacation days, I'd enjoy the week doing something I loved (like your gaming thing) and still have 9 additional days for "just in case needed for baby/recovery" days. Have fun!!
daycare 01:28 PM 04-13-2011
this might sound mean, but when you have a child and run a daycare you have to make scarifices. I would be mad if I were a parent.

Just like PP said, you should count your days wisley, as you can never predict the future. My dad taght me...plan for the worst, hope for the best. I live by this.....

If you really feel you can't go one year without attending and will have to close the daycare because of, you might find yourself in a situation you don't want to be in with some parents. I am not sure how the economy is where you are, but here in CA I can't afford to lose one child...........

sorry I didnt mean to burst your bubble or come off rude...
momofboys 01:36 PM 04-13-2011
If you are entitled to take the days I would take them!!! I'm sure the parents take their own vacations as they see fit. If it says in your contract you will take a certain number of days I see no problem with actually taking them,even if it is only a month or so after the birth of your baby. Have fun!
Pammie 01:36 PM 04-13-2011
In my opinion - the days are yours to use as you wish. I'm guessing you don't have anything in your contract that limits when/how you use your vacation time (why would you?)

I'd just give as much notice as possible that you'll be closing those days in June and mention to your clients that you'll be counting those towards the x# vacation days that you have in 2011. Then go guilt-free and enjoy the convention!
SilverSabre25 01:37 PM 04-13-2011
it wouldn't be a whole week off; It runs Wed-Sun so I would probably take at most Thursday and Friday off for it. I guess I didn't make that clear.
momofboys 01:38 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
this might sound mean, but when you have a child and run a daycare you have to make scarifices. I would be mad if I were a parent.

Just like PP said, you should count your days wisley, as you can never predict the future. My dad taght me...plan for the worst, hope for the best. I live by this.....

If you really feel you can't go one year without attending and will have to close the daycare because of, you might find yourself in a situation you don't want to be in with some parents. I am not sure how the economy is where you are, but here in CA I can't afford to lose one child...........

sorry I didnt mean to burst your bubble or come off rude...
I guess I don't understand why as a daycare provider you have to make sacrifices. Why shouldn't silver be entitled to take a vacation day or two or three? I'm sure her contract states she is able to take a certain number of days off. That's the beauty of running your own business you get to decide. I'm sure she will give her parents ample notice.
daycare 01:43 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I guess I don't understand why as a daycare provider you have to make sacrifices. Why shouldn't silver be entitled to take a vacation day or two or three? I'm sure her contract states she is able to take a certain number of days off. That's the beauty of running your own business you get to decide. I'm sure she will give her parents ample notice.
lol because i thought that she was saying she was going to close for another full week....now that she cleared that up, I get it... If she has those days, then go for it.
momofboys 05:31 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol because i thought that she was saying she was going to close for another full week....now that she cleared that up, I get it... If she has those days, then go for it.
What difference would that make? Are daycare providers not allowed to take time off in their schedule when they need it? Do we only get 2 weeks off a year, lol!? I know a mom in my town who runs a very professional daycare in her home & she schedules 4 full weeks of vacation a year & they are ALL PAID & she is always full & hardly ever has openings! I guess I don't see why we should be second class citizens. It would be one thing if you gave your parents no notice for time off but I am sure most of us on here would give months of notice for our families to get backup.
daycare 08:59 PM 04-13-2011
So let's say she goes and when she comes bck the baby gets sick or maybe something else happens? Now she is going to have to close again. I just think it's poor planning on her part. Shes not leaving herself anyroom for error at all. Is that smart to do? Would you do it? Anything could go wrong. She is taking off the first week of June then going to reopen for about two weeks an then close again to leave??? I know my parents would be upset. I think if it were further down the road it would not be such a big deal.
morgan24 02:58 AM 04-14-2011
They are your vacation days and how you use them is up to you. Parents wouldn't give it a second thought if they wanted to do that. It's only a couple of days. The only thing I would do is give them plenty of advance notice.
BentleysBands 05:05 AM 04-14-2011
i would do it!

give notice now, its plenty of time. IMO, thats why its important for parents to have a backup!

if my parents got 'mad' oh well, then they arent a good fit.they know i have 4 kids of my own and if i have to close for whatever reason, and i dont charge, its on them to find backup.

take off and go have fun!!
SilverSabre25 05:22 AM 04-14-2011
Interesting mix of opinions with some food for thought.

Daycare, I could be closing for the week as early as the second week of May--it all depends on the timing of the baby. That's part of the trouble with my deciding about this.

Does it make a difference if I add that my contract/PHB actually states that one of my two weeks is taken at the end of June every year? I double checked and I did remember to put that little tidbit in. I don't think my parents read the D*** handbook though, most of them.
Lilbutterflie 05:22 AM 04-14-2011
It's only two days, use your vacation days however you want to! You don't even have to explain why you are taking them, frankly it's none of their business!

IMO, this will probably be exactly what you need at that time to prevent provider burnout... and you will be doing what you LOVE to do!

GO FOR IT!!
daycare 07:59 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Interesting mix of opinions with some food for thought.

Daycare, I could be closing for the week as early as the second week of May--it all depends on the timing of the baby. That's part of the trouble with my deciding about this.

Does it make a difference if I add that my contract/PHB actually states that one of my two weeks is taken at the end of June every year? I double checked and I did remember to put that little tidbit in. I don't think my parents read the D*** handbook though, most of them.
If it's two days I say go as well. I was responding to the fact that if you were going for a week then I would not do it...,

I am a worry wart...lol Me personally I would not go just becuase I would be afraid that if something were to go wrong in the future, that I would have to close again and upset parents, which means the possibility of them leaving. Which we all know that means a loss of income.

I know that everyone is different, I am just saying if it were me I would not...Also a lot ofmy families have a really hard time with back up care. They have it, but I know that they would have a hard time getting back up care so close together.....

I have not closed this year yet, but i will for a thurs-Fri to fly home to see my parents for easter. My next vacation will not be until August, where I will take another two days off. I never really plan any big vacation, but that is only becuse my Husband can't get any time off of work....boooo

If you are confident with knowing your parents will be ok with it, I say have a blast and go.......
Tags:vacation
Reply Up