Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Shut Down Due To Death Of Child
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:39 PM 10-19-2011
Here's a story on a daycare that was shut down after a 2 yr old swallowed a push pin and choked to death: http://www.wdrb.com/story/15733851/up It's ALWAYS the daycare provider's fault. They get in HUGE trouble for accidents, but yet a parent could abuse their children, neglect them in every sense of the word, etc and nothing is done about it. But put the name "daycare" to it, and they're all over it, and shutting their business down.

I don't know what the daycare was like (it may be awful, IDK), but I do know how quickly things can happen. A parent from that daycare said "that's where supervision comes in." True, but things can happen so fast, and when we're only human why is it daycare providers get the whip, but not parents if the same thing happend to them when they only have one or two children to watch? My guess is that the push pin could have fallen out of the bulletin board holding the numerous state required signs for parent's notice. The 2 yr old could have seen the pin before the daycare workers did, no matter how vigilant they are. And we all would like to say, "that could never happen here because we do x, x, and x to keep our children safe. We follow all the laws, we do daily checks to make sure the area is baby proofed and no harmful objects are laying around, etc, etc, ect. But accidents CAN happen no matter how perfect we are and how perfect a provider we are.

okay, I'm done... I just get all stirred up that daycares get such a bad rap, and are expected to be super heroes, and are shut down when they can't be perfectly perfect. But things happen when the child is in their parent's care, and it's chalked up to "an accident". The parent isn't "shut down" from their children, and plastered all over the news as a bad parent. This may not have been a good daycare, they could have been awful, but the fact that the media are all over it the min anything goes wrong in daycares is what bothers me.
Michael 04:50 PM 10-19-2011
Aweful. I just removed them from the registry.
Cat Herder 05:05 PM 10-19-2011
I don't understand.

The Coroner said it was inconclusive where the push pin even came from.

IMHO, There is more that has not been released to the media, yet. There must be.

It is possible that it is standard policy there during an investigation into a child death.
meganlavonnesmommy 05:38 PM 10-19-2011
So sad. My licensing doesnt allow push pins, specifically for this reason. We are required to have a "bulletin board" with all our info on it, but we can not use push pins.
I just use command stickies and hooks to put up all my info.
daycare 06:19 PM 10-19-2011
I am a little confused...so she was over her ratio and therefore this is why she could not care for the child the right way and therefore shut down?

This is so sad, why are so many daycare always over their numbers. In almost every situation wehre there is some form of death or trama, it seems like the DC provider is always over their ratio......

Ugh, just another thing we are going to have to defend ourselves about again.

I guess this is one of the things about group care. YOu really need to make srue that children are not exposed to items that are dangerous. I have a bulletin board with push pins at my house, but it is not near where any kids could every get to it. AND becuase we don't allow shoes inside, it could not stick to a bottom of a shoe and carry through my house....

ugh this is so sad....
dave4him 07:31 PM 10-19-2011
Nothing about push pins here, but im going to have to find a better way to hang my learning mats! OY

sad story
MamaBear 08:25 PM 10-19-2011
This happened recently here in the San Diego area too! It was at a Preschool though. Very sad. I replaced all my pushpins & tacks with sticky tape when I heard about this back in August.

Heres the link to the incident here in San Diego:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ng-on-pushpin/
Meyou 02:49 AM 10-20-2011
My goodness. That makes me very happy I use sticky tac already.

"Based on the preliminary findings of an investigation, the order states that the daycare failed to supervise each child in care, and did not maintain the proper staff-to-child ratio".

That part screams to me that something else was going on. I suspect that she left the children unsupervised when they were sleeping and she wasn't suppose to. That makes sense with the staff to ratio comment too.
dEHmom 05:52 AM 10-20-2011
2 incidents with thumb tacks????

I am not trying to hijack the thread, but did you guys hear about what people are doing at the dog parks? I don't know if it's true or not, but they are putting thumb tacks in pieces of cheese and feeding them to the dogs.

This is sad, and how about that one persons comment on the article about her daughter having tape in her mouth for days. I agree daycares can easily hide things and pretty things up for their inspections and stuff. But it wouldn't be that hard to figure out for the parents dropping off their kids. A parent could've dropped the pin off the bulletin board, and was too lazy to pick it up. Or couldn't find it and didn't say anything.
nannyde 06:31 AM 10-20-2011
The push pin issue is a real issue.

I've come across it with the center work I do.

I've seen where staff are bringing it in without okaying it with the director to do their bulletin boards.

Even though they have been trained that they can't have ANYTHING in the room that could fit thru a toilet paper center.... even though I trained them myself on this... they still brought them in on their own to use on their bulletin boards.

Luckily this was caught on a weekend when we were doing room inspections.

They were already TOLD the concept that they can't have anything that small in the room. They were TOLD that they can't bring ANYTHING into the room but pens without lids and the pens needed to be attached to the clip boards. They were told that they couldn't bring ANYTHING into the room of their own.. no purses, no food, no phones... NOTHING. They signed an agreement that they wouldn't take ANYTHING into the rooms. They were trained to THAT level... THAT specifically... But... you are dealing with low level staff with a low amount of education and no minute to minute supervision.

You can have staff bring it in OR you can have kids bring it in in their pockets. As hard as you work to TRAIN parents, staff, and kids... you can still have things brought in.
Unregistered 11:22 PM 01-02-2012
I believe that this place is getting a visit from the YMCA for checkup due to health and safety. How come YMCA did not advise the school not to use push pins. Everyone has the responsibility here. It is not only the responsibility of the school and the teachers. What are the licensing doing isn.t it that they do visitation to check health and safety. Sad for the teachers because they get all the whipping but the people around them like the licensing and YMCA escape from the blame. In the first place it was the licensing who is supposed to educate the teachers. What are they doing when they do the health and safety visitations.....just sit down. Teachers work hard and still get the beating. The system itself is screwed. Poor teachers you do not get paid like the social worker and you work triple harder than them, but when something happens it is everyone else fault and it is not their fault. Parents should look into this and should sue the licensing as well.
Michelle 07:09 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I believe that this place is getting a visit from the YMCA for checkup due to health and safety. How come YMCA did not advise the school not to use push pins. Everyone has the responsibility here. It is not only the responsibility of the school and the teachers. What are the licensing doing isn.t it that they do visitation to check health and safety. Sad for the teachers because they get all the whipping but the people around them like the licensing and YMCA escape from the blame. In the first place it was the licensing who is supposed to educate the teachers. What are they doing when they do the health and safety visitations.....just sit down. Teachers work hard and still get the beating. The system itself is screwed. Poor teachers you do not get paid like the social worker and you work triple harder than them, but when something happens it is everyone else fault and it is not their fault. Parents should look into this and should sue the licensing as well.
It is not licensing's fault that this happened.
It is the owners fault. It is her responsibility to make sure her facility is safe.
I'm not sure what you mean by the ymca is at fault too but lic. does not train daycares they just inspect them and make sure daycare are up to code.
It is unfortunate that all the teachers will be out of a job but everyone that takes care of children really needs to take it very seriously.

Hourly safety checks and scanning floors constantly is the only way to prevent this kind of thing.
Unregistered 05:33 PM 01-03-2012
That's why I don't have pushpins in my classroom.
:-/
Unregistered 11:16 AM 01-05-2012
My son is in a home daycare facility, I gave the owner a week and a half notice and she is complaining that I did not give her 2 weeks, she's lucky that I even gave her that much. First of all she is ill treating the kids and pulling and tugging at them like ragdolls, screaming at them and saying things like " they're disgusting" to 2 year old's and under. Which adult in their right minds would speak to kids like that. She yanked my son's arm in front of me one day, his face is dirty everyday when I go to pick him up, He's always asking me for water or juice when I pick him up. I'm paying this person to look after my son, treat him with love and affection, make sure he gets a meal and something to drink and this is what you do. I know that there are unfit parents out there but there are also unfit caregivers who should not be given a licence to abuse kids mentally and physically. To them its all about the money and not actually caring for kids. If you know that you didn't like kids why would you go into this profession. It's like becoming a doctor just to make money and not actually care about saving lives. What kind or world do we live in? how much will it take out of you to be nice to another human being and treat people the way you want to be treated. It's funny though because she treats her daughter like an egg. I'm so livid !!
mickey2 11:50 AM 01-05-2012
My son is in a home daycare facility, I gave the owner a week and a half notice and she is complaining that I did not give her 2 weeks, she's lucky that I even gave her that much. First of all she is ill treating the kids and pulling and tugging at them like ragdolls, screaming at them and saying things like " they're disgusting" to 2 year old's and under. Which adult in their right minds would speak to kids like that. She yanked my son's arm in front of me one day, his face is dirty everyday when I go to pick him up, He's always asking me for water or juice when I pick him up. I'm paying this person to look after my son, treat him with love and affection, make sure he gets a meal and something to drink and this is what you do. I know that there are unfit parents out there but there are also unfit caregivers who should not be given a licence to abuse kids mentally and physically. To them its all about the money and not actually caring for kids. If you know that you didn't like kids why would you go into this profession. It's like becoming a doctor just to make money and not actually care about saving lives. What kind or world do we live in? how much will it take out of you to be nice to another human being and treat people the way you want to be treated. It's funny though because she treats her daughter like an egg. I'm so livid !!
I am sorry but what is wrong with you? A week and a half to leave your baby with someone like this after witnessing this treatment?

If all that you say is true, I would not give a moments notice. My baby would NEVER go back!
small_steps 12:00 PM 01-05-2012
I totally agree with Mickey2...why in the world would you send your child back. I would never send my child back to a place for even a few hours if I didn't think he was being taken care of.

For the record..children are always hungry when they go home from daycare. But usually when they leave daycare it's getting close to dinner time. We can't let them walk around with food and drinks all day whenever they want. Most of us have a set time frame for meals and snacks. In my house for example the daycare kids get breakfast at 8...lunch at 11:30 and then a snack about 3...they have milk with their meals and they can have their water bottle pretty much whenever if they sit down at the table with it.

Now she may not be feeding them appropriately? But I would ask her before jumping to that conclusion. As far as the yanking on them and screaming at them...don't bring your child back another day!
Unregistered 11:33 AM 01-06-2012
If you are so concerned about how your provider treats children in her care, then why are you bringing your child back to her for another week and a half? That makes no sense at all. If I had concerns about how my child's provider was treating her or any other child in her care, then I would not bring her back again. I would take the financial loss if there was a 2 week notice policy.

I'm sure that there are providers who are in it for the money, but isn't that true for every person who works? I detest the comments from parents who complain about their providers and how they feel like their provider is only in it for the money. Why do you work? Would you work and not receive any wages from it?

If you feel that your provider isn't doing her job, then pull your child today and move on. If you make it about the money that you don't want to pay for terminating without notice, then you are no better than the provider that you see as money hungry.
Tags:article, death
Reply Up