Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wording On Contract Update With Diaper(S)
daycarediva 03:26 PM 12-30-2012
I am updating my contract and want to offer parents the option of adding a $10/week charge to their regular payments and I will supply all diapers and wipes. I have a REALLY hard time getting two families to bring them, and even went so far as to enfore the 'no supplies, no stay' policy. (They returned in 20 minutes with dcg AND diapers). If they chose NOT to opt in, I would like there to be a fee per diaper that I use, I was thinking $1/diaper.

I am updating my parent handbook and sending home a letter highlighting each change in policy.

I was thinking something like this, but it sounds too wordy & not clear enough maybe, imho.

Diapers/wipes: for diapered children, there is now the option for the provider to supply both diapers and wipes at the minimal cost of $10/week. If you chose not to be included, there will be a $1 per diaper charge when the provider has to supply them.

HELP Thanks!
Blackcat31 04:25 PM 12-30-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I am updating my contract and want to offer parents the option of adding a $10/week charge to their regular payments and I will supply all diapers and wipes. I have a REALLY hard time getting two families to bring them, and even went so far as to enfore the 'no supplies, no stay' policy. (They returned in 20 minutes with dcg AND diapers). If they chose NOT to opt in, I would like there to be a fee per diaper that I use, I was thinking $1/diaper.

I am updating my parent handbook and sending home a letter highlighting each change in policy.

I was thinking something like this, but it sounds too wordy & not clear enough maybe, imho.

Diapers/wipes: for diapered children, there is now the option for the provider to supply both diapers and wipes at the minimal cost of $10/week. If you chose not to be included, there will be a $1 per diaper charge when the provider has to supply them.

HELP Thanks!
How about

Diapers/Wipes

Parents have the following options available to them.

Option #1
Provider will supply all diapering supplies such as diapers, wipes and ointments and/or creams for a fee of $10 per week per child.

Option #2
Parents will supply all diapering supplies necessary. A fresh supply of diapers, wipes and ointments/creams must be brought to daycare on the first working day of the month. A fee of $10 per week will be charged if supplies are not provided.

I personally wouldn't bother charging a per diaper fee and would simply charge for the service period. If they don't want to get stuck paying $10 per week AND bringing supplies too, then they will darn sure remember to bring diapers for their child.

LOL! I have been doing this so long that I don't have the patience to offer parents too many options or choices. I just give them this or that and offer no variables. Makes my job alot easier.
cheerfuldom 04:36 PM 12-30-2012
or you could offer the two options with the understanding that if parents fail to provide adequate supplies, they will be put on option 1 permanently at your discretion in order to remain in your care.
Unregistered 06:27 PM 12-30-2012
I would probably do something along the lines for frequent offenders who do not bring supplies but say they will bring supplies:
After 3 stikes (or 3 days- doesn't have to be in a row but probably with in a month or 2 time period) of not bringing diaper supplies parents will be charged $5-$10/week everytime after that they do not bring diapers.
Or that they will have to just sign up for that.
Or find care else where.

This way they either decide to just sign up to get their moneys worth per week or they will remember to bring diapers.

Also make clear if you are willing to buy certain brands or if you only provide one brand (e.i. what is ever cheapest- like an store brand) since it is not legally required you provide dapiers let alone a specific brand. Also because some parents either prefer some brands or some babies are allergic to some brands-- When my cousin's son was a baby he was really pale and had very sensitive skin and got a rash when he wore Pampers at his dad's house but when he was at her house he wore Huggies and it cleared up- until the next time he came back from his dad's house :-/ ) and my mom and aunt said we were all the same way with Huggies and Pampers
CozyHome 08:55 PM 12-30-2012
No, I wouldn't do that. I have parents bring 15-18 diapers in every Monday morning which goes into their cupboard for the week. I use 3-4 diapers a day and let the parents know if I'm low or we have too many in the cupboard so they can skip a week. I let them know when we need a new supply of wipes, every month or so. I have enough to think about and like to keep things simple.
MarinaVanessa 09:14 PM 12-30-2012
I require DCF's to bring an entire pack of diapers and large box or refill pack of wipes to leave here at daycare and I tell them when they are low. I also have in my policies that if they forget supplies and if I have some on hand then I will use my supply and charge them for the supplies.

I buy my wipes from Costco in the big boxes so if a parent keeps forgetting to buy them I just notify them that I opened one of mine for the child. Once opened I can't share those wipes with any other kids so I charge them for the wipes. Same goes for the diapers except I have DCP that donate diapers that their kids grow out of so I use those but still charge the parent for the diapers. You can try something like that. What happens if they choose to opt out of paying the extra fee and still don't bring the supplies?
daycarediva 03:25 AM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I require DCF's to bring an entire pack of diapers and large box or refill back of wipes to leave here at daycare and I tell them when they are low. I also have in my policies that if they forget supplies and if I have some on hand then I will use my supply and charge them for the supplies.

I buy my wipes from Costco in the big boxes so if a parent keeps forgetting to buy them I just notify them that I opened one of mine for the child. Once opened I can't share those wipes with any other kids so I charge them for the wipes. Same goes for the diapers except I have DCP that donate diapers that their kids grow out of so I use those but still charge the parent for the diapers. You can try something like that. What happens if they choose to opt out of paying the extra fee and still don't bring the supplies?
It's a no supplies, no stay policy. I tried the monthly thing and parents complained about having to bring it all on one day. and honestly, with 4 in diapers, I had nowhere to put it all. My bathroom cubbies can hold a week's supply each. So then last year I went to bring diapers every Monday. Two of the four are separated and I would get diapers/wipes when one parent dropped off after their weekend but not the other.

I had two parents ask about me supplying diapers for an additional fee. I broached the subject with my two other diapered clients and they are both willing as well so I don't think I will have anyone NOT take me up on it. I was just going to use Luvs (what I buy for backup dipes and all the kids have had them on without issue) & Target wipes. ( Target wipes)
daycarediva 03:27 AM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would probably do something along the lines for frequent offenders who do not bring supplies but say they will bring supplies:
After 3 stikes (or 3 days- doesn't have to be in a row but probably with in a month or 2 time period) of not bringing diaper supplies parents will be charged $5-$10/week everytime after that they do not bring diapers.
Or that they will have to just sign up for that.
Or find care else where.

This way they either decide to just sign up to get their moneys worth per week or they will remember to bring diapers.

Also make clear if you are willing to buy certain brands or if you only provide one brand (e.i. what is ever cheapest- like an store brand) since it is not legally required you provide dapiers let alone a specific brand. Also because some parents either prefer some brands or some babies are allergic to some brands-- When my cousin's son was a baby he was really pale and had very sensitive skin and got a rash when he wore Pampers at his dad's house but when he was at her house he wore Huggies and it cleared up- until the next time he came back from his dad's house :-/ ) and my mom and aunt said we were all the same way with Huggies and Pampers
I like the strikes rule, will have to add something about that! I already added the brands. Thanks for the idea!
daycarediva 03:28 AM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How about

Diapers/Wipes

Parents have the following options available to them.

Option #1
Provider will supply all diapering supplies such as diapers, wipes and ointments and/or creams for a fee of $10 per week per child.

Option #2
Parents will supply all diapering supplies necessary. A fresh supply of diapers, wipes and ointments/creams must be brought to daycare on the first working day of the month. A fee of $10 per week will be charged if supplies are not provided.

I personally wouldn't bother charging a per diaper fee and would simply charge for the service period. If they don't want to get stuck paying $10 per week AND bringing supplies too, then they will darn sure remember to bring diapers for their child.

LOL! I have been doing this so long that I don't have the patience to offer parents too many options or choices. I just give them this or that and offer no variables. Makes my job alot easier.
THANK YOU! I just copied and pasted, then added the brands and strikes rule & the $10 fee (you're right, I supplied them and they should be charged!)
Reply Up