Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Talking Tods
flying_babyb 08:36 PM 11-07-2018
So when do most kids speak? When do they put a few words together? I taught preschoolers, and have moved down to 1 year olds. Most of my kids say very few words, if any! Some of these kids turn two next month!
Indoorvoice 04:19 AM 11-08-2018
It varies so widely. Most of my kids were doing 2 word sentences by 18 months but the trend lately has been that they are talking much later. I have a 20 month old now who only has about 4 words consistently. I know pediatricians start recommending speech around 18 months if they only have a few words but most parents want to wait it out it seems.
Blackcat31 05:55 AM 11-08-2018
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
It varies so widely. Most of my kids were doing 2 word sentences by 18 months but the trend lately has been that they are talking much later. I have a 20 month old now who only has about 4 words consistently. I know pediatricians start recommending speech around 18 months if they only have a few words but most parents want to wait it out it seems.
I've had the same experience. Seems the norm is later than I have been previously used to seeing. I have two kids under 2, (boy 20 months/girl 18 months) and neither really say anything unless prompted and then it's just something they repeat. DCB, say "please" type of thing.

Looking back my own kids spoke full sentences by 1 yr of age. My daughter more than my son but still alot sooner than most the kids I've had in care over the last few years.

Then of course, I have that one daycare kid that is a new 2 and speaks English, Spanish, French and American Sign language.
Ariana 09:45 AM 11-08-2018
My current 15 month old DCG just had her checkup and the DR said she should be saying at least 3 words. It seems the milestones are getting further and further behind. She says more than 3 words but is no where near where I feel she should be. I would be comfortable with 20-50 words.

Then I have a 20 month old that has a vocab of 100 words and is putting two words together but it never makes sense, is always out of context, cannot ask to get her needs met, cannot point to basic things in a book and mostly does echolalia.
Reply Up