Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-26-2015, 09:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Background Check Questions

I was offered the position of an assistant director at a local daycare. I am supposed to meet up with the director tomorrow to discuss all the details. I am nervous that I may not qualify for the job because of a dui i was convicted of six years ago. I have had two interviews. One was with the director at the center. The other was a phone interview with someone else. I have not brought up the misdemeanor simple because I have not been asked about any prior convictions. I know that a background check will be ran if she has not ran one already. Could she of done it without me knowing? I plan on not saying anything until she brings a background check up. Any other opinions? I really want the job, so I am feelings very anxious about it
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was offered the position of an assistant director at a local daycare. I am supposed to meet up with the director tomorrow to discuss all the details. I am nervous that I may not qualify for the job because of a dui i was convicted of six years ago. I have had two interviews. One was with the director at the center. The other was a phone interview with someone else. I have not brought up the misdemeanor simple because I have not been asked about any prior convictions. I know that a background check will be ran if she has not ran one already. Could she of done it without me knowing? I plan on not saying anything until she brings a background check up. Any other opinions? I really want the job, so I am feelings very anxious about it
Each state has it's own criteria in regards to what they will and wont allow for employment so I can't say a DUI will or won't disqualify you.

I would contact your state's licensing department and find out. You can find the regulations and contact info for your state here:

http://www.daycare.com/states.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-26-2015, 09:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Each state has it's own criteria in regards to what they will and wont allow for employment so I can't say a DUI will or won't disqualify you.

I would contact your state's licensing department and find out. You can find the regulations and contact info for your state here:

http://www.daycare.com/states.html
I live in Indiana. I have looked at the state guidelines. dui is not listed, unless it is a felony.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

This varies by state but also by employer. My hubby had a DUI in 1989 when he was young and dumb (23). Has never had another one. He could have got deferment but his lawyer told him to just plead guilty it would be easier blah blah so DH did that. Now he can't drive a school bus, but he can drive a semi. We are thinking about getting it expunged but it isn't cheap. The state may allow you to work there and have it, but then what the center will allow is another question. I think if it gets to the point of doing the background check, I would just be honest and tell them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I live in Indiana. I have looked at the state guidelines. dui is not listed, unless it is a felony.
My guess is that a DUI would not exclude you.

However, I'd maybe contact the licensing agency and just ask as an anonymous caller.

I am sure they can tell you easily.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
My guess is that a DUI would not exclude you.

However, I'd maybe contact the licensing agency and just ask as an anonymous caller.

I am sure they can tell you easily.
Thanks! I will look into that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

This doesn't help you right now but have you looked into expungement? I did a quick search and it looks like misdemeanor is eligible in Indiana after a 5 yr wait, no idea of the cost though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This doesn't help you right now but have you looked into expungement? I did a quick search and it looks like misdemeanor is eligible in Indiana after a 5 yr wait, no idea of the cost though.
Yes. I was looking a little into that yesterday. If i had to go to that extreme I will, but am hoping it does not come to that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
background check, expunge infraction, misdemeanors

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pending License Background Check mekissweet Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 01-09-2016 07:25 AM
Help With Initial Background Check Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 06-25-2015 06:25 AM
Do you check on your family background? Baan Dek Lek Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 02-03-2014 10:38 AM
Parents Asking For Background Check shelby Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 10-11-2012 01:58 PM
OSBI Background Check Question Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 08-20-2010 06:04 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming