Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:07 AM
Unregistered

Default Background Check Questions

I was offered the position of an assistant director at a local daycare. I am supposed to meet up with the director tomorrow to discuss all the details. I am nervous that I may not qualify for the job because of a dui i was convicted of six years ago. I have had two interviews. One was with the director at the center. The other was a phone interview with someone else. I have not brought up the misdemeanor simple because I have not been asked about any prior convictions. I know that a background check will be ran if she has not ran one already. Could she of done it without me knowing? I plan on not saying anything until she brings a background check up. Any other opinions? I really want the job, so I am feelings very anxious about it
Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was offered the position of an assistant director at a local daycare. I am supposed to meet up with the director tomorrow to discuss all the details. I am nervous that I may not qualify for the job because of a dui i was convicted of six years ago. I have had two interviews. One was with the director at the center. The other was a phone interview with someone else. I have not brought up the misdemeanor simple because I have not been asked about any prior convictions. I know that a background check will be ran if she has not ran one already. Could she of done it without me knowing? I plan on not saying anything until she brings a background check up. Any other opinions? I really want the job, so I am feelings very anxious about it
Each state has it's own criteria in regards to what they will and wont allow for employment so I can't say a DUI will or won't disqualify you.

I would contact your state's licensing department and find out. You can find the regulations and contact info for your state here:

http://www.daycare.com/states.html
Old 10-26-2015, 09:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Each state has it's own criteria in regards to what they will and wont allow for employment so I can't say a DUI will or won't disqualify you.

I would contact your state's licensing department and find out. You can find the regulations and contact info for your state here:

http://www.daycare.com/states.html
I live in Indiana. I have looked at the state guidelines. dui is not listed, unless it is a felony.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

This varies by state but also by employer. My hubby had a DUI in 1989 when he was young and dumb (23). Has never had another one. He could have got deferment but his lawyer told him to just plead guilty it would be easier blah blah so DH did that. Now he can't drive a school bus, but he can drive a semi. We are thinking about getting it expunged but it isn't cheap. The state may allow you to work there and have it, but then what the center will allow is another question. I think if it gets to the point of doing the background check, I would just be honest and tell them.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I live in Indiana. I have looked at the state guidelines. dui is not listed, unless it is a felony.
My guess is that a DUI would not exclude you.

However, I'd maybe contact the licensing agency and just ask as an anonymous caller.

I am sure they can tell you easily.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
My guess is that a DUI would not exclude you.

However, I'd maybe contact the licensing agency and just ask as an anonymous caller.

I am sure they can tell you easily.
Thanks! I will look into that.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Smile

This doesn't help you right now but have you looked into expungement? I did a quick search and it looks like misdemeanor is eligible in Indiana after a 5 yr wait, no idea of the cost though.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This doesn't help you right now but have you looked into expungement? I did a quick search and it looks like misdemeanor is eligible in Indiana after a 5 yr wait, no idea of the cost though.
Yes. I was looking a little into that yesterday. If i had to go to that extreme I will, but am hoping it does not come to that.

Tags
background check, expunge infraction, misdemeanors