Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quiet Time
Elia1971 12:30 PM 03-14-2021
Hi, I am new to the group and this is my first post. I have four children currently..one 18 month, three 3 year olds. My main question is regarding the youngest 3 year old. He won’t sit still or be quiet during quiet time or any other time for that matter. I suspect he has adhd based on my research and many other behaviours he’s exhibiting. Parents have set up doctor appointment and getting behavioural assessment, but feel he is just hyperactive. I have tried several different strategies, giving each one a week or so to see if he will adjust, but no success. It has gotten to the point where my other 3 year olds won’t relax anymore because they hear him and the 18 month old is often disturbed. I have gotten to the point where I am so stressed during quiet time that I want to remove it altogether. I’ve tried a cot, playpen, bed. He gets off cot or bed, bangs his legs, hands, scratches at cot and sides of playpen, shakes head from side to side making noises, lays down and bounces up and down, screams, talks, makes noises, the list goes on. He’s been separated from the other kids. I do appreciate a short break...maybe 30 minutes so I can recharge and eat, but that is next to impossible. The rest of the time I like to clean up and prepare for the remainder of the day. The girls get up off their cots over and over now because they hear him. The girls can easily sit or lay quietly, but not when all this noise is coming from the other room. I’m pretty much at my wits end here. I’ve researched etc but nothing seems to help. I adore this child. He is extremely hard to manage any time of the day though. I’m committed to him because I care a lot about him. I will also be taking his younger sister in a few months. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Michael 03:07 AM 03-15-2021
Welcome to the form.
Cat Herder 07:25 AM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by Elia1971:
I have four children
my other 3 year olds won’t relax anymore
I have gotten to the point where I am so stressed.
I’m pretty much at my wits end here.
I’m committed to him
The only advice I have is to listen to your gut. Ask yourself honestly if you are giving the other 3 children in your care the proper attention and learning environment they need to thrive while you are so committed to him. Is adding yet another child into that equation fair and reasonable?

The question is rhetorical.

Please don't read that as judgement. We have all been there. It is a tough decision, but can be easily made with the right questions of yourself.
Tags:adhd
Reply Up