Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Upset Because His Kids Don't Play Outside...But..
littlemommy 07:01 AM 09-20-2011
he never brings shoes for them! I've told him that I had planned to go outside that for morning play (he picks up at 2 so misses afternoon outdoor play) but the girls didn't have shoes in their bag. We have a locust tree in our backyard-the type with the thorns-and I would hate for one of them to step on a fallen one and get hurt!

I also don't want to have to wash feet before they come back in. Ugh.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 09-20-2011
If he picks up at 2, why doesn't he bring them outside?

Regardless, though I would do a foot/shoe check at drop off and refuse them if they do not come with shoes. I have done this with parents who forget hats/mittens or any other necessary item for outdoor play. I will NOT keep the whole group inside simply because one parent forgot to bring their child's stuff. I have also had parents who were forgetful on a regular basis leave stuff here so I had it all the time with no worries.
laundrymom 07:12 AM 09-20-2011
No shoes? Dad needs to either ensure they are in bag or bring some to leave at your home. He is dropping the ball not you, no shoes, no outside play
littlemommy 07:13 AM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If he picks up at 2, why doesn't he bring them outside?

Regardless, though I would do a foot/shoe check at drop off and refuse them if they do not come with shoes. I have done this with parents who forget hats/mittens or any other necessary item for outdoor play. I will NOT keep the whole group inside simply because one parent forgot to bring their child's stuff. I have also had parents who were forgetful on a regular basis leave stuff here so I had it all the time with no worries.
Drop off is at 4:15 a.m...so all of their clothes and shoes are in the bag. After I told him the first time, he was good for a couple weeks about keeping shoes in the bag. Now it's back to being forgetful.

The other kids sure enjoy going out after naptime!
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Drop off is at 4:15 a.m...so all of their clothes and shoes are in the bag. After I told him the first time, he was good for a couple weeks about keeping shoes in the bag. Now it's back to being forgetful.

The other kids sure enjoy going out after naptime!
4:15 a.m.= wow that is early...but either way, I would specifically ask him to hand you the shoes or not let him leave until you have checked the bags for them.

I have called parents at work during the day before and said, "We are all heading outside. Johnny doesn't have shoes. Could you run some by real quick or come and get him so the rest of us can go outside?"

Usually only takes once.... I just look at it like it is THEIR problem and NOT mine. Once I hold them responsible for it and it becomes an inconvenience for them, it is amazing how quickly they will remember with some regularity.
Cat Herder 07:19 AM 09-20-2011
"I agree DCD. The kids and I are pretty upset about it too. What can YOU do to resolve this?"
cheerfuldom 07:34 AM 09-20-2011
make him bring shoes or let them know you will purchase a pair for daycare use and charge them for it
blessedmess8 07:39 AM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
4:15 a.m.= wow that is early...but either way, I would specifically ask him to hand you the shoes or not let him leave until you have checked the bags for them.

I have called parents at work during the day before and said, "We are all heading outside. Johnny doesn't have shoes. Could you run some by real quick or come and get him so the rest of us can go outside?"

Usually only takes once.... I just look at it like it is THEIR problem and NOT mine. Once I hold them responsible for it and it becomes an inconvenience for them, it is amazing how quickly they will remember with some regularity.
Very good advice!
sharlan 07:48 AM 09-20-2011
End the battle. Have the parents bring you a pair to leave at your house. In other words, the shoes don't go home at the end of the day.
Tags:clothing - issues, dress code, footwear, safety
Reply Up