Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Talk To Mom At Pick Up Regarding DCB's Miserable Cold?
TaylorTots 11:16 AM 01-22-2014
DCM dropped off this morning "DCB Has a cold, he has been coughing since Friday. You can always call me if you think it is more."

He's been miserable all day - not eating well, crying/whining for no reason other than he's miserable and he's only napped for 50 minutes all day. And he has coughed on every.single.toy. so I have a ton of extra bleaching to do tonight, ugh. I am not trying to be overdramatic, he has been screaming miserable all day. DCM picks up in 3 hours so I don't want to call them to pick up early really.

I wish I knew a way to tell her to keep him home if he's this miserable. He has no symptoms that require him to stay home via my illness policy. Thoughts?
cheerfuldom 11:19 AM 01-22-2014
I exclude for kids not being able to participate in the days activities, for whatever reason. Just tell her he is miserable at daycare and the cough needs to be addressed. You have no way to know right now what is going on or if he is contagious but even if he has no fever, that does not mean he is well. I would call right now for pickup. That gives them the chance to get into the doctor today. I would also require he stay home at least for tomorrow for sure.
melilley 11:23 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
DCM dropped off this morning "DCB Has a cold, he has been coughing since Friday. You can always call me if you think it is more."

He's been miserable all day - not eating well, crying/whining for no reason other than he's miserable and he's only napped for 50 minutes all day. And he has coughed on every.single.toy. so I have a ton of extra bleaching to do tonight, ugh. I am not trying to be overdramatic, he has been screaming miserable all day. DCM picks up in 3 hours so I don't want to call them to pick up early really.

I wish I knew a way to tell her to keep him home if he's this miserable. He has no symptoms that require him to stay home via my illness policy. Thoughts?
This is what I have in my illness policy:

If a child is just not feeling well, but has no symptoms, the provider will contact you and it will be up to the parent/guardian(s) if they want to pick their child up, as long a the child can participate in activities.

I would just tell mom that dcb has not been able to participate in the activities and he may benefit from staying home a day to rest (something along those lines).
Kabob 11:26 AM 01-22-2014

Ooooo I just dealt with a similar situation myself. I referred the parent to my policy that states that the child was not able to participate in regular daycare activities. So coughing and crying incessantly is cause for exclusion. I used to hesitate too but learned the hard way that it only gets worse.
TaylorTots 12:17 PM 01-22-2014
Well I called mom, which was a goose chase (mom's cell dead, dad doesn't answer his. 1st emergency contact at work, got through to mom at her work). Didn't tell her she had to pick him up - I told her his symtpoms I had been having all day. She thought about calling the doctor and would try to get here early (she normally picks up in about 2 hours, so no huge deal).

I hope I have a backbone if she brings him tomorrow. I do have an exclusion in my illness regarding if they can't participate in regular daycare activities. I plan on asking her to let me know what the doctor says regarding being contagious/treatment for his cough and misery when she picks up.
Blackcat31 12:22 PM 01-22-2014
Well I called mom, which was a goose chase (mom's cell dead, dad doesn't answer his. 1st emergency contact at work, got through to mom at her work). Didn't tell her she had to pick him up - I told her his symtpoms I had been having all day. She thought about calling the doctor and would try to get here early (she normally picks up in about 2 hours, so no huge deal).

I hope I have a backbone if she brings him tomorrow. I do have an exclusion in my illness regarding if they can't participate in regular daycare activities. I plan on asking her to let me know what the doctor says regarding being contagious/treatment for his cough and misery when she picks up.
I wouldn't wait until she shows up tomorrow. Let her know now that due to his "condition", it would be best to give him a day of rest AT HOME so that he can fight off this nasty bug. (Don't suggest....TELL)

Rest at home is the cure for most childhood illnesses....parents just forget to stop and take the time to offer it.

I usually explain to parents that recovery time is 10x greater if they have that magic day of rest. Plus being "sorta sick" at daycare is like trying to nap at Walmart on Saturday afternoon.

Much easier to do at HOME in the comfort of your own.
Play Care 12:38 PM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I wouldn't wait until she shows up tomorrow. Let her know now that due to his "condition", it would be best to give him a day of rest AT HOME so that he can fight off this nasty bug. (Don't suggest....TELL)

Rest at home is the cure for most childhood illnesses....parents just forget to stop and take the time to offer it.

I usually explain to parents that recovery time is 10x greater if they have that magic day of rest. Plus being "sorta sick" at daycare is like trying to nap at Walmart on Saturday afternoon.

Much easier to do at HOME in the comfort of your own.

I've learned the hard way that if I ASK parents to do the right thing, they won't. I have to TELL them what to do. Especially when it comes to illness.
"DCM, dcb was very unhappy today due to illness and will need to stay out tomorrow and rest. Hopefully that will be enough to get him back to normal. Have a great night!"
Tags:illness policy
Reply Up