Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Dillema
NillaWafers 10:19 AM 05-11-2016
Okay, so my eldest is going to school soon - 9-3. I think this will be earlier once he is in 1st grade and goes to mass everyday. Anyhow, I am having a hard time finding someone to pick him up in the afternoon! My husband could go in late to drop him off, but then he would have to work later to make up for it.

I am debating transporting DC kids to pick him up but it honestly sounds like such a pain. What would you do?

I would have to buy seats for each kid. My van seats 8, but with carseats how much does that really transport? My sons have a britax seats which are kinda wide. Also once I have a seat in the front bench seats you can't get into the back anymore (they have to fold up to move).

Gah I am just so frustrated already and this doesn't happen until Sept! I was gonna fill my eldests spot but if I have to pick him up I won't have room in my car
CityGarden 10:27 AM 05-11-2016
HOP SKIP DRIVE!!!!
http://www.hopskipdrive.com/

It is like Uber for kids and serves our area. If you get another school age child that can share the ride it would reduce the cost and I assume you could then write it off or a portion of it off. This is great because they handle all the taxes, etc for the employee and you do not have to employ anyone.

There is also Pick Up Kids but I cannot personally suggest them as I have not first hand experience with the company and have heard mixed reviews: http://www.pickupkids.net/

Another option is since you plan to expand your daycare include the pick up of your son in the job duties of the assistant. One provider I know has two part time assistants one for the morning, one for the afternoon she has the afternoon assistant pick up the school age children on her way to the daycare. She said having two assistants was more cost effective that one.
NillaWafers 10:31 AM 05-11-2016
I looked at their rates and I would be paying like 400/mo to have him picked up which seems kinda expensive. That's half of one month's tuition for a toddler here. Plus they said within five miles and our church is just outside of that range
NillaWafers 10:32 AM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
HOP SKIP DRIVE!!!!
http://www.hopskipdrive.com/

It is like Uber for kids and serves our area. If you get another school age child that can share the ride it would reduce the cost and I assume you could then write it off or a portion of it off. This is great because they handle all the taxes, etc for the employee and you do not have to employ anyone.

There is also Pick Up Kids but I cannot personally suggest them as I have not first hand experience with the company and have heard mixed reviews: http://www.pickupkids.net/

Another option is since you plan to expand your daycare include the pick up of your son in the job duties of the assistant. One provider I know has two part time assistants one for the morning, one for the afternoon she has the afternoon assistant pick up the school age children on her way to the daycare. She said having two assistants was more cost effective that one.
I would have to upgrade to a large HDC to afford an assistant, and I have a 1000 sq. ft house. I do'nt know how I would make that work!
Snowmom 10:40 AM 05-11-2016
Do you belong to any Mom's groups where you could put a feeler out to see if there are any parents currently planning on going to the school and could help you out?
CityGarden 10:41 AM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
I would have to upgrade to a large HDC to afford an assistant, and I have a 1000 sq. ft house. I do'nt know how I would make that work!
For some reason I thought you already were planning to upgrade to a large HDC which then would make sense to hire the assistant because it would be required.

I don't think you need a large space from the photos you posted of your yard I think it could handle expanding maybe not to 12 but at least 8-10. But that is off topic
NillaWafers 10:42 AM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by :
Do you belong to any Mom's groups where you could put a feeler out to see if there are any parents currently planning on going to the school and could help you out?
Well the problem is that this school is private, it is the school at our church. It's not too expensive and it's pretty important to us that he be going there.

But nobody lives near us. I asked my one friend who might be able to pick him up but she declined cus they have dinner and she was worried about her son being overtired. The only other person I know in our area has 7 kids! So i don't think she could add another!
NillaWafers 10:43 AM 05-11-2016
For some reason I thought you already were planning to upgrade to a large HDC which then would make sense to hire the assistant because it would be required.

I don't think you need a large space from the photos you posted of your yard I think it could handle expanding maybe not to 12 but at least 8-10. But that is off topic
I'm going to consider it now. Hubby has been really wanting to quit his job and work on freelance fulltime. Maybe we could make it work.
CityGarden 10:46 AM 05-11-2016
I looked at their rates and I would be paying like 400/mo to have him picked up which seems kinda expensive. That's half of one month's tuition for a toddler here. Plus they said within five miles and our church is just outside of that range
It would come to $280 per month IF you were within the five mile radius. Yes it is high, at $14 per ride as the cheapest package --- it is the going hourly rate of a nanny BUT it is difficult to hire a nanny or even a college age sitter for just drop off and pick up.

What about listing for a college age student to do both drop off and pick up that might make it worth their while? Or pick up only but I have found it hard to keep a consistent sitter offering so little time. Is KECK (USC's Medical School) or Cal State LA close to you..... also maybe post something for the parents who will be at your sons school. A SAHM at my dd's school picks up a junior high girl almost everyday and earns a little money for helping with transporting the child.
CityGarden 10:49 AM 05-11-2016
I'm going to consider it now. Hubby has been really wanting to quit his job and work on freelance fulltime. Maybe we could make it work.
I really feel the outdoor space matters more than inside and it looks like you have a nice set up outdoors. Also I know you plan to raise your rates..... so keep this additional cost in mind when making those adjustments.
CityGarden 10:53 AM 05-11-2016
I will be honest with you, a big reason I am only offering shortened hours is because I don't want to deal with the hassle of transporting children while I pick up my dd or the additional cost of Hop Skip Drive. I am still debating, in my area rates seem to be higher than yours BUT the COL is also higher so I have to weigh if I will make significantly more with longer hours. Still deciding.

If your hubby ends up freelancing only then he would be able to pick up your son AND you would not need to deal with the mess of employees here in CA if he was your co-provider.
finsup 10:59 AM 05-11-2016
Well the problem is that this school is private, it is the school at our church. It's not too expensive and it's pretty important to us that he be going there.

But nobody lives near us. I asked my one friend who might be able to pick him up but she declined cus they have dinner and she was worried about her son being overtired. The only other person I know in our area has 7 kids! So i don't think she could add another!
Keep praying over it, God will provide Could you talk to the Pastor and see if he has any ideas? I know our Church has a Children's ministry director who if I went to with something like that would be more then willing to try and figure something out to help!
NillaWafers 11:01 AM 05-11-2016
I will be honest with you, a big reason I am only offering shortened hours is because I don't want to deal with the hassle of transporting children while I pick up my dd or the additional cost of Hop Skip Drive. I am still debating, in my area rates seem to be higher than yours BUT the COL is also higher so I have to weigh if I will make significantly more with longer hours. Still deciding.

If your hubby ends up freelancing only then he would be able to pick up your son AND you would not need to deal with the mess of employees here in CA if he was your co-provider.
Yes that's my thoughts exactly. He could take a few of the kids with him to PU and I would still stay in ratio. Once his business takes off and he can't devote time to it anymore, then I could scale back because he would be making more money and we wouldn't need the extra kids. I will look at hop skip drive again. 280 is more reasonable.
NillaWafers 11:08 AM 05-11-2016
http://www.hopskipdrive.com/pricing/

It looks like I would probably need 20 rides/mo.

Decisions.
NillaWafers 01:49 PM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
Keep praying over it, God will provide Could you talk to the Pastor and see if he has any ideas? I know our Church has a Children's ministry director who if I went to with something like that would be more then willing to try and figure something out to help!
I am going to talk to them for sure, maybe there are a few families with older kids who would be willing to do it.

I talked to my husband about this and he is gung ho about me expanding and him helping out and working on his business. It's so scary though! He really wants to quit (he hates his job), but the thought of having BOTH of us be self-employed is terrifying!

I emailed my licensor cus I can't find anything about what I need to submit/do (besides a fire marshall inspection) along with my application. Those in CA who have gone from Small to Large - did you have to do everything over again? Or did you just have to submit the extra parts and have another inspection?
CityGarden 02:05 PM 05-11-2016
http://www.hopskipdrive.com/pricing/

It looks like I would probably need 20 rides/mo.

Decisions.
That gets you down to the $14 ride if it was within the 5 miles.

If nothing else it is a good back up as it can be rough counting on others.
spud912 03:04 PM 05-11-2016
I wish we had something like that here in Arizona! School pick-ups are so difficult sometimes!!
Tags:provider children
Reply Up