Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Milk?
Ariana 02:19 PM 02-03-2016
I have a two yr old dcg. Since she has started mom has been really pushing milk. I serve one glass at lunch and thats it. She is here 5 hours and sleeps 3. She barely drinks the milk I offer her and its getting annoying because my family doesn't drink milk. So this carton of milk sits in my fridge taking up space. I wouldn't care if the kid was drinking it but she's not.

Anyway I spoke to mom today and told her that I was going to stop buying it because she is not drinking it. Mom seemed super worried and said she would start bringing milk in for her. I asked her why and she said she doesn't want her going all day without milk. So i told her that she is at home in the morning with dad so can't he feed her the milk? How much milk does she drink? Apparently this kid drinks 4-5 "bottles" a day?? I mean that is a LOT and she drinks none here. As soon as mom comes to the door though she asks for her "bottle". This seems excessive to me. I just read online that 2 year olds should get no more than 2 cups a day. Meanwhile this kid is 2 and wears 3T clothes and weighs about 40 pounds....did I mention they feed her full fat milk. No wonder she doesn't eat.

I don't get this mom AT ALL. The kid has zero language which she is not worried about at all but for God sakes don't take away her milk!

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant
mommyneedsadayoff 02:35 PM 02-03-2016
Let mom bring the milk and then dump it out. You can't control what they do at home, so just try to do what you can at your house. Maybe you can send a flier home on the recommended amounts for her age just as one last attempt?
Thriftylady 02:38 PM 02-03-2016
Sounds to me like she isn't drinking milk at your house because they let her have a bottle at home. It isn't the milk she wants it is the bottle. I agree with PP let mom bring the milk, but the real issue is the bottle and you can't control that.
LysesKids 03:14 PM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Sounds to me like she isn't drinking milk at your house because they let her have a bottle at home. It isn't the milk she wants it is the bottle. I agree with PP let mom bring the milk, but the real issue is the bottle and you can't control that.
The child would not be getting a bottle in my home @ age 2... I just termed a family for bitching me out because I wouldn't give 16 month old 8 oz anytime she wanted in a bottle; Sorry but I wean them starting 12 months. You can control bottles, just say child will get a sippy cup with 4oz and if child drinks it so be it - if not ( as was my case) then to bad. Your house, your rules
Thriftylady 03:25 PM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
The child would not be getting a bottle in my home @ age 2... I just termed a family for bitching me out because I wouldn't give 16 month old 8 oz anytime she wanted in a bottle; Sorry but I wean them starting 12 months. You can control bottles, just say child will get a sippy cup with 4oz and if child drinks it so be it - if not ( as was my case) then to bad. Your house, your rules
No!!! I wasn't saying the OP should give a bottle, I don't think that at all. I don't allow them here after the first birthday. I am just saying that is why the child is drinking so much milk at home, it is about the bottle not the milk.
Ariana 03:50 PM 02-03-2016
It could be. She brought a sippy cup for her when she first started but I hate those things and switched her to the litterless juicebox. Even with moms sippy though she wasn't drinking.....now I am wondering if by "bottle" she actually means a bottle. Ugh.

I think I will stop buying and I will drop it. I am betting she won't even bring the milk. Sometimes I think this mom is full of crap. This child is here for 5 hours and I probably change one wet diaper a week. No joke. Yet she is drinking all this milk
LysesKids 04:30 PM 02-03-2016
No!!! I wasn't saying the OP should give a bottle, I don't think that at all. I don't allow them here after the first birthday. I am just saying that is why the child is drinking so much milk at home, it is about the bottle not the milk.
I get that... That's also the reason I booted the last family because apparently their snowflake had issues with getting a sippy; they were still giving little miss 8oz bottles of whole and demanded I do the same - yeah, not happening here (there were other issues too that led to immediate term). The child needs water in between meals & limited milk
Puddleduck 10:41 AM 02-04-2016
I have two families that are obsessed with their kids getting milk (is this an Ottawa thing? LOL) and I make them bring their own. I refuse to spend money on milk, it's way too expensive. One family brings a morning milk and an afternoon milk, and the other one brings a thermos of milk for the day. I only offer water if they run out.
Puddleduck 10:44 AM 02-04-2016
Oh, and both kids have issues with not eating enough food.
Ariana 11:10 AM 02-04-2016
Originally Posted by Puddleduck:
I have two families that are obsessed with their kids getting milk (is this an Ottawa thing? LOL) and I make them bring their own. I refuse to spend money on milk, it's way too expensive. One family brings a morning milk and an afternoon milk, and the other one brings a thermos of milk for the day. I only offer water if they run out.
How did you know I was in Ottawa? Might need to change my privacy settings LOL!

Yes I hate spending money on it too because we don't drink milk ourselves so it just sits there in my fridge. It takes up so much room since we all drink Almond milk...so basically two cartons of milk in my fridge!

Child came in today super hungry, ate a big lunch and drank her whole sippy cup of milk I offered her (trying to get rid of it before it goes bad) I wonder if mommy clued in that she is getting too much milk and cut back today? We will see!
Lorna 11:38 AM 02-04-2016
Well I don't allow kids to run around with bottles or cups. but give her the milk at snack in morning, with lunch and at afternoon snack. Its really not your choice. her mother wants her to have the milk and is providing the milk. Just give her the milk. You don't drink alot of milk so you dont' agree. but alot of people do. My daughter drank alot of milk. I provided her daycare with the milk. Milk is healthy for young growing kids.
Ariana 11:54 AM 02-04-2016
Originally Posted by Lorna:
Well I don't allow kids to run around with bottles or cups. but give her the milk at snack in morning, with lunch and at afternoon snack. Its really not your choice. her mother wants her to have the milk and is providing the milk. Just give her the milk. You don't drink alot of milk so you dont' agree. but alot of people do. My daughter drank alot of milk. I provided her daycare with the milk. Milk is healthy for young growing kids.
Lol! I am giving her the milk. She is not drinking it. That is the whole point. She has been with me since September so that is 5 months of me giving her the milk and her not drinking it. Unless I set up an intrevenous drip with milk I cannot force this child to drink milk in my home.

My personal choice (which coincides with my childrens allergy to dairy) to not drink milk has no bearing on this situation other than the fact that her milk, which she is NOT drinking, is inconvenient for me to have in my fridge.
Unregistered 01:44 PM 02-04-2016
How about buying a quart or a pint instead and offer a small amount, like 1/4 c
Ariana 07:06 AM 02-05-2016
Well pretty much problem solved! Mom looked it up online yesterday and told me "yeah i am giving her way too much milk". My shocked look confused her I think! Lol So she has cut back. Dcg came in yesterday and drank a whole sippy of milk with lunch. If it keeps up I will keep buying it! Or maybe I will stop buying it and let them give it to her with breakfast and dinner. We will see.

Thanks everyone!
Thriftylady 07:08 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Well pretty much problem solved! Mom looked it up online yesterday and told me "yeah i am giving her way too much milk". My shocked look confused her I think! Lol So she has cut back. Dcg came in yesterday and drank a whole sippy of milk with lunch. If it keeps up I will keep buying it! Or maybe I will stop buying it and let them give it to her with breakfast and dinner. We will see.

Thanks everyone!
Yeah because the provider couldn't see that clearly. Glad she finally saw the light.
renodeb 09:43 AM 02-09-2016
I have had plenty of moms that really push the milk. I give a 1/2 cup of milk with breakfast and 1/2 cup with lunch and that is it. It sounds like she is "drinking her meals". My niece used to do that and luckily my sister caught on. (to this day she still has to watch it. That's a lot of milk. I was amazed at how little milk a child that age needs.
Deb
Ariana 09:49 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by renodeb:
I have had plenty of moms that really push the milk. I give a 1/2 cup of milk with breakfast and 1/2 cup with lunch and that is it. It sounds like she is "drinking her meals". My niece used to do that and luckily my sister caught on. (to this day she still has to watch it. That's a lot of milk. I was amazed at how little milk a child that age needs.
Deb
They just went to the DR and she is in the 95th percentile for weight. Holy crow!! She weighs the same as my 6 yr old. Luckily mom and dad are cutting back on the milk and I have stopped serving it t her here altogether.
daycarediva 10:43 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Thanks everyone!
I'm impressed she admitted she was wrong! LOL!

I was buying and throwing away 6 GALLONS of milk per week. I finally got a new food program rep and she said I had to OFFER it to the kids. Now I offer, the ONE child who actually drinks it accepts, the rest have their water with meals.

So much more room in my fridge now.
Reply Up