Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does This Sound Okay??
littlefriends 11:14 AM 11-15-2018
I’m currently dealing with a dad who is arguing with me about paying a late fee because he tried to drop off payment last Friday after I closed. He got here at 7 (close at 6) and knocked interrupting my dinner time with my family and got super mad when I wouldn’t take the money. I ended up just telling him I was clocked out and we’d talk about it Monday but that I wouldn’t take his kiddo if he didn’t have the full payment plus the late fee. He hasn’t brought her all week!So today he texts me asking if I “still feel the same about Friday’s situation”! This is what I have to write back but I’m not sure if I sound professional or if I just sound like a sassy brat?? I want to say a whole lot worse.
All families were given my policy update in July and asked to sign that they had read and understood them. This policy change states that I will not accept payments outside of daycare hours and that there is a $30 late payment fee if payment is not made before 6pm on Friday for the week ahead. It also states that childcare will not be provided until payments have been received by me in full and that no exceptions will be taken. This policy change has been posted above the sign in table since July 2018 as well. If you need a copy of the policy change to keep for your records I’ll be happy to provide you with a copy of the signed one in your child’s file.
Snowmom 11:51 AM 11-15-2018
I think it sounds professional.
You're not being a sassy brat... he is!

The only thing I might add is that tomorrow (Friday's) payment is due as well or late fees apply.
BGM 11:58 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

The only thing I might add is that tomorrow (Friday's) payment is due as well or late fees apply.
Ditto. If they signed this contract, it's not your fault they didn't read/understand it. And he should definitely pay for this week.

Stick to your guns!
Cat Herder 12:15 PM 11-15-2018
You wrote a lot more than I would. I'd text back:

"Of course I do. _____'s bag is packed, ready to be picked up. I really enjoyed my time with ___ and hate to see her go. I wish your family well on your search for childcare. Here is the link for the states childcare search website _____. Have a great afternoon!"

I don't respond well to ultimatums, especially something so easily resolved by paying on time. I would have filled the slot with a weeks non-payment. I do recommend your considering an online payment option to make payment more convenient for clients in the future. They are well worth their small fee.
Blackcat31 12:27 PM 11-15-2018
Exactly what others said ^^^

Dad is the sassy brat.
Jo123ABC 12:32 PM 11-15-2018
It's not like we can walk to any other business after hours to get a payment in before late fees are applied. I think you sound professional as well.
BrynleeJean 12:44 PM 11-15-2018
sounds great!
Good luck!
Cat Herder 12:47 PM 11-15-2018
I wanted to verify 1) he did not pay Friday on time 2) did not pay Monday and 3) did not pay the late fee.

As of Tomorrow at 6, he is two weeks behind.

That was my understanding. Did I get it right?
littlefriends 12:56 PM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I wanted to verify 1) he did not pay Friday on time 2) did not pay Monday and 3) did not pay the late fee.

As of Tomorrow at 6, he is two weeks behind.

That was my understanding. Did I get it right?
Exactly right. Guess who just tried to give me notice they won’t be back...
littlefriends 12:57 PM 11-15-2018
You wrote a lot more than I would. I'd text back:

"Of course I do. _____'s bag is packed, ready to be picked up. I really enjoyed my time with ___ and hate to see her go. I wish your family well on your search for childcare. Here is the link for the states childcare search website _____. Have a great afternoon!"

I don't respond well to ultimatums, especially something so easily resolved by paying on time. I would have filled the slot with a weeks non-payment. I do recommend your considering an online payment option to make payment more convenient for clients in the future. They are well worth their small fee.
How do I go about taking payments online? Do they have to bank at the same bank?
Homebody 12:58 PM 11-15-2018
If he hasn't brought her all week to avoid paying, to me that is breach of contract. Services would automatically be terminated.
littlefriends 01:00 PM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

This is exactly what I did, I emailed it so I’d have it in writing and told him I needed next week’s payment no later than 6pm tomorrow or he’d have another $30 late fee. He texted back (instead of replying to my email) that I’m not being fair! What?!
Cat Herder 01:02 PM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
How do I go about taking payments online? Do they have to bank at the same bank?
No. There are several services. I use KidKare auto invoicing. It gets glitchy from time to time but saves me a lot of time and effort. It also keeps all of my records for tax prep (time/space, expenses, extra hours, mileage, meal counts, etc. for $8 a month) . Really easy.

I will add the online payment tag so you can see the previous discussions about them.
littlefriends 01:22 PM 11-15-2018
No. There are several services. I use KidKare auto invoicing. It gets glitchy from time to time but saves me a lot of time and effort. It also keeps all of my records for tax prep (time/space, expenses, extra hours, mileage, meal counts, etc. for $8 a month) . Really easy.

I will add the online payment tag so you can see the previous discussions about them.
Ok thanks!!
Cat Herder 01:33 PM 11-15-2018
Ok thanks!!
You are very welcome! KidKare has a 30 day free trial to play around with to see if you like it. https://www.kidkare.com/#trial
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 11-15-2018
This is exactly what I did, I emailed it so I’d have it in writing and told him I needed next week’s payment no later than 6pm tomorrow or he’d have another $30 late fee. He texted back (instead of replying to my email) that I’m not being fair! What?!
I love how when parents break the contract they automatically accuse you of being unfair.

Will he owe for the two weeks notice (or however long you require) or do you have a deposit on file for him?

As for online payments, most my parents that don't bank at the same bank I do or have banks that offer electronic payment options use Zelle. It's really easy and immediate.
littlefriends 02:03 PM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I love how when parents break the contract they automatically accuse you of being unfair.

Will he owe for the two weeks notice (or however long you require) or do you have a deposit on file for him?

As for online payments, most my parents that don't bank at the same bank I do or have banks that offer electronic payment options use Zelle. It's really easy and immediate.
He’s currently nonstop calling my phone because I told him he can’t have his deposit back (I make mine give 2 weeks pay upfront at contract signing and tell them if we leave on good terms they can have it back). Ugh. I hate this part so much!!! I texted and said to stop trying to call me, that I won’t discuss it any further.
Josiegirl 02:23 PM 11-15-2018
He’s currently nonstop calling my phone because I told him he can’t have his deposit back (I make mine give 2 weeks pay upfront at contract signing and tell them if we leave on good terms they can have it back). Ugh. I hate this part so much!!! I texted and said to stop trying to call me, that I won’t discuss it any further.
Stay strong! I wish I had your backbone; I'd be too weak to carry through with this but think you are definitely doing the right thing! It's all written down and documented; too bad he didn't read it, take it seriously, or take you seriously.
Leigh 04:35 PM 11-15-2018
I'd remind him that the 2 weeks' deposit doesn't cover his late fee, only the notice period, and that he still owes the late fees. Then, block him. He won't be able to get through with his next rant.
Meeko 05:10 PM 11-15-2018
All my parents now pay with Venmo. Free for both of us, no bank information given out and I receive my money the next day. I get an immediate text as soon as they have made the transfer. I can also "charge" them. They get a reminder text that payment is due. I love it! A few months ago, I had a single dad on vacation in Bali. He sent his payment from the beach....
jenboo 07:55 PM 11-15-2018
Keep holding strong!

I personally would get rid of the part about them getting the deposit back if they leave on good terms... it causes too much of gray area. It should cover the last two weeks of care regardless
Rockgirl 05:50 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Keep holding strong!

I personally would get rid of the part about them getting the deposit back if they leave on good terms... it causes too much of gray area. It should cover the last two weeks of care regardless
I totally agree!
littlefriends 11:39 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Keep holding strong!

Yes, added that to my list of stuff I’m working on for next year’s contracts!! Lesson learned I went out during nap today to mail his kiddo’s stuff back to him, I don’t want him showing up here!!!!
284878 01:08 PM 11-16-2018
I don't answer the door. If families need to drop things off after hours (or after they drop off in the morning), they put it in a Dropbox on my porch, just like I would have to do it if I went to another business after hours.
I'm closed, doors locked, curtians shut.
Tags:automatic - billing, automatic - payment, automatic payments, online payment, paypal, square card reader, venmo
Reply Up