Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Everything About This Case Breaks My Heart
Cat Herder 08:45 AM 12-07-2011
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...cid=webmail113

A 12 year old boy killed his 2 year old brother by shoving him into a bookcase. He is being tried as an adult.

This 12 year old boy was born to a 12 year old Mother.

Mother is now being charged with aggravated manslaughter and culpable negligence.

I have two twelve year old boys. "Adult" comprehension of death by rough housing or even fist fighting is not a possibility developmentally.

Forever Dead from shoving each other when they get angry at one another just is not part of their thought process.

True he should not have been alone with a two year old.... did anyone teach that to their VERY young CHILD Mom? She is only 25, now...WITHOUT a normal childhood to build on.

Just heartbreaking.... His face will stay with me...he looks like my son's best friend who stays over all the time. Gut wrenching.
Unregistered 09:18 AM 12-07-2011
That is heartbreking! I wonder what their basis is for sayng it was premeditated? I doubt that most 12 year olds even have the capacity to think in that perspective?!

His mother lied in her original statement I am guessing as a way of protecting her child. I have had a SA in care before that plays rough all the time. No matter how many times I tell him to settle down, he plays rough. I even try to tell him he could hurt another younger child and still he seems to not be able to stop.

I am guessing that this situation was one where the older child was left in charge of the younger one because maybe the mom couldn't afford child care or didn't think she needed any since she had a 12 year old. I am guessing it was simply a case of a young mom not having all the tools and knowledge to provider her kids with appropriate supervision and not having the parental control over her children that is necessary to stop the negative behaviors. In this day and age of "no cry" parenting and wanting to be your child's friend.....I can see this whole situation being one bad thing that lead to another.

Truly sad. I think everyone in this case is a victim.
Unregistered 09:33 AM 12-07-2011
this is what happens when children have children and try to be adult enough to raise a child.

This woman should have had her tubes tied. SHe has 4 kids and she's 25 years old? I am glad that they are finally holding her responsible for her actions.....but so sad that it had to come to this to make it happen...

Ok I'm done...

OMG I don't even want to touch this one, all kinds of wrong and sad.
Crystal 10:57 AM 12-07-2011
wow, just, wow.
mismatchedsocks 11:16 AM 12-07-2011
I was reading more articles on him. He had killed a cat, sexually assulted his brother and another person twice his age, and admitted to bashing his brothers head against the book shelf. So sad and tragic!
KEG123 11:40 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
I was reading more articles on him. He had killed a cat, sexually assulted his brother and another person twice his age, and admitted to bashing his brothers head against the book shelf. So sad and tragic!
Do you have the links to these stories?
mismatchedsocks 11:44 AM 12-07-2011
http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...abused-brother
Cat Herder 02:03 PM 12-07-2011
Think of how many opportunities people have had to step in... The history of this whole story goes so far back with no mention of interventions...
Tags:death, neglect, supervision - active vs. passive, supervision - inadequate
Reply Up