Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Now!!
familyschoolcare 09:12 AM 10-06-2011
So here is the back ground about 2 months ago DCB (4 years old only day care child at the time) had some as dad called them skin irritations that looked like bug bites and did not bother the child. They where first noticed by when child was placed in bed after falling asleep on the way home.

At that time a plan to put a blanket or towel down when child plays on the carpet at my house, per dad’s request.

I also let dad know I was concerned that according to his own account of the situation they seam to be multiplying/spreading from Tuesday to Wednesday (this is a time I do not have the child)

Latter Mom stopped by to pay me some money and asked about the marks I told her what I knew and she said that Dad said that they where caused by my carpet. I told her that was Dad’s theory and shared that I was concerned that they seemed to be spreading or multiplying when he was not in my care.

So Wednesday Morning Dad E-mails me

I would just like to let you know that we discovered last night there were new irritations on ****** face and arms. When we picked him up yesterday from daycare, he fell asleep in the car on the way home. When we got home and put him in bed, and there we noticed that there were what appeared to be a small insect bite on both sides of his face and one on his left arm. Would you know if he was recently exposed to anything that may have caused this? I know we have discussed that a blanket or towel would be placed on the floor when Gavin plays to isolate the cause of the irritations; by chance is that still used? The bites or irritations do not seem as severe as last time, though they were noticeable and apparent, so Im just curious as to what may be the source affecting Gavin this way.

More back ground the child had one long sleeves that day and I did not notice anything when picked up and if they where noticed by dad’s girlfriend at pick up she did not say anything. This child has at least a 1 hour car ride home. It has been mentioned to me more than once that the child usually falls asleep on the way home and therefore goes to bed with out dinner. This child does not come on Wednesdays or Thursdays.

I E-mailed back

I have stopped using a blanket on the floor when the children play as it seams to interfere with what they are doing and in general getting their way. This is an unusually situation. The timeline you described above which is similar to last time, does not make it clear where the bite like marks are coming from. What I would like to start doing is have whom ever drops him off at school check his arms and face with a teacher at school and take a mental note of marks if any. Then when I pick him up do the same thing. Then when he is picked up here at the end of the day do the same thing again. That will let us know at least which location is the cause of the bite like marks. After the location has been discovered then it will be easier to isolate the cause. Please let me know what you think of this plan.

I have not heard form dad yet. I plan on doing a visual of the Childs arms and legs and saying something load enough for the teacher to hear when I pick him up from school on Friday. Something like oh *** there are X # of marks on your face and arms do they bother you, then repeating that process when the child is picked up.

So what else should I do as the Dad already thinks that my carpet is the cause of the situation! I do not since they are first noticed after an hour or more car ride home, and nobody else here is experiencing this.
cheerfuldom 09:24 AM 10-06-2011
how are you supposed to keep a 4 year old on a blanket all day??? besides that, your plan seems reasonable. sounds like dad is ready to blame you when the boy is numerous other places that this could be happening.
meganlavonnesmommy 09:51 AM 10-06-2011
Wow, paranoid Dad! YOU CANT BUBBLE WRAP KIDS!

I'm sorry, but that is just crazy, kids get bug bites, it happens all the time! They arent going to die! (annoyed at dad here, not you).

Not only that, but often times the bites dont show up until later. When my son plays outside and gets mosquito bites, they often dont show up until the next day.

I would ask the Dad to take him to the dr, and get a note. They may not even be bug bites. Its best to have a DR take a look and see what he thinks they are. But in the meantime, definately check the boy each day, and keep documentation. You could offer to steam clean your carpets if it makes Dad feel better.
laundrymom 10:00 AM 10-06-2011
so this boy is the only one in care? or the only one being bitten?

Im gathering that dad somehow thinks you have critters in the carpet biting his boy? has he looked at his car?

I would suggest You look at him like you said directly after school, directly after care while dads there,.. then

I would say,.. when you get home and are giving him his bath after dinner check him again,.

.I think I would guilt him into LOOKING at his SON before dinner, after dinner, and after bath.

I am getting a bad vibe from dad,.. why would you put him to bed straight from daycare??? that poor boy.
littlemommy 10:05 AM 10-06-2011
Have you checked the other children closely? I'd be a bit worried that whatever is biting him could be brought into your home.

A year and a half ago we somehow got bed bugs in our home. They could have come from anywhere! I had to close for a week because we had to have our entire home sprayed and I didn't want children playing on the carpets right after being sprayed.

That almost makes me nervous about going on vacation next week. I don't want to deal with those again.
wdmmom 12:03 PM 10-06-2011
If DCD is so worried about it, why isn't he taking DCB in for an allergy test?!

The only things that came to mind when I read this was:

Bed bugs
Fleas
Allergy to carpet fibers

This is DCD's job to find out where the marks are coming from and why. If this is an isolated incident, I would probably steam clean my carpets and tell DCD what you have done and that the incident remains isolated.

I would also tell DCD that a diagnosis and care plan is needed from his doctor before you change your daily activities/habits/etc.
familyschoolcare 12:35 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
so this boy is the only one in care? or the only one being bitten?

Im gathering that dad somehow thinks you have critters in the carpet biting his boy? has he looked at his car?

I would suggest You look at him like you said directly after school, directly after care while dads there,.. then

I would say,.. when you get home and are giving him his bath after dinner check him again,.

.I think I would guilt him into LOOKING at his SON before dinner, after dinner, and after bath.

I am getting a bad vibe from dad,.. why would you put him to bed straight from daycare??? that poor boy.
This boy was the only one in care the first time now is the only one having these marks.
familyschoolcare 12:37 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Have you checked the other children closely? I'd be a bit worried that whatever is biting him could be brought into your home.

A year and a half ago we somehow got bed bugs in our home. They could have come from anywhere! I had to close for a week because we had to have our entire home sprayed and I didn't want children playing on the carpets right after being sprayed.

That almost makes me nervous about going on vacation next week. I don't want to deal with those again.
I have looked at the other children and no one has any marks, including the Kinder that lays on the carpet with this boy and plays cars, and my children that lay on the carpet to watch TV.
familyschoolcare 12:39 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

I would also tell DCD that a diagnosis and care plan is needed from his doctor before you change your daily activities/habits/etc.
I like this and will say it if needed. Because I am not comfortable changing things that effect the whole group on a theory of DCD.
daycare 12:39 PM 10-06-2011
just curious where is the mom in all of this? What does she have to say about what is going on with DCb?
familyschoolcare 12:50 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
just curious where is the mom in all of this? What does she have to say about what is going on with DCb?
Parents have 50/50 custody and I take care of the child On Mon. Tue. and Frid. Dad has the child Mon. Tues. and every other Friday. So I only see mom every other Friday. and that last two times it was her day the child did not come B/C he was not feeling well.

So I do not know if mom know about the bite like marks this time around.
daycare 12:53 PM 10-06-2011
Ugh that is hard.

I think you are doing the right thing by making note of the marks when the child is dropped and picked up.

When you email do you also cc the mom? I have always done this, unless it was something that did not concern the other parent.
littlemommy 12:58 PM 10-06-2011
I would consider not letting him back until it is checked out by a Dr and you have a note. That way the other children and yourself are protected. If it is bed bugs or something of the such, it's only a matter of time before they infest your house. Once they are in your house, they could climb into other DCK's bags/shoes and be brought right back after your house is treated.
familyschoolcare 01:10 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I would consider not letting him back until it is checked out by a Dr and you have a note. That way the other children and yourself are protected. If it is bed bugs or something of the such, it's only a matter of time before they infest your house. Once they are in your house, they could climb into other DCK's bags/shoes and be brought right back after your house is treated.
The thing is that I have not seen them this time and last time by the next day they did not look like anything that I needed to be concerned about. However, if Dad wants to keep calling them bit marks I can say that I need a doctor to look at them and determine what the marks are. There is a chance that the child will not come tomorrow. If it is being caused by dad's car which I think it is then the child will not get more marks over the weekend, as he is scheduled to be with his mother this weekend.
Tags:bug bites, parent accusations, parents - disrespect
Reply Up