Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>O.M.Geeeeee I Can't Wait For My 5s To Go To Kinder!!
NightOwl 05:42 PM 06-01-2014
I had a day last week where all my 5s were absent and only had my babies, 3 under 15 months and 2 toddlers, both 2. And it was GLORIOUS!

Where's the other girls on the forum who love, love, love the littles?

I'm seriously thinking of backing up my "age out" age to 4. I'd like to do it at 3 years, but our prek programs here start at 4 years.

The 5s are just so.... Difficult sometimes. Sassy, hateful, make HUGE messes. It's like they've outgrown home daycare. I know all of this is what I signed up for, but maybe I want to sign up for something else. Or maybe I'm being picky and selfish. Idk...
SignMeUp 05:44 PM 06-01-2014
Any possibility you feel that way to prepare yourself for their leaving? I think I might sometimes A little like when you know a family is going on vacation and you go .... YES !!!
SilverSabre25 05:49 PM 06-01-2014
Me!!!! I love the babies. Want only babies. 3 is my preferred cut off.

But right now I'll take anyone...
Lucy 06:07 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:

The 5s are just so.... Difficult sometimes. Sassy, hateful, make HUGE messes. It's like they've outgrown home daycare. I know all of this is what I signed up for, but maybe I want to sign up for something else. Or maybe I'm being picky and selfish. Idk...
I currently have two Kinders. They're both girls. In my experience, the boys, of any age, have always been more difficult for me. I can't pinpoint it, but I guess I just relate better to the girls.

Anyway, I'm not criticizing at all, but I was just wondering what behaviors are troubling about your 5's?

Mine (one is 5, and one just turned 6) have been here since birth, and know that they don't start something new without asking. Even if they want to color a picture, they ask if they can use colored pencils (instead of the default crayons), or if they can use stickers, and if so, how many. Sometimes they ask TOO much, but I'd rather it be that way than the opposite, so I keep letting them ask.

As far as messes, all my kids know that whatever you take out, you put away. If you're using scissors and get little tiny scraps everywhere, you get on your hands and knees under the table and pick them all up. I rarely ever have to prompt them. They'll even tell each other that they left something on or under the table!

As for sassy or hateful, I never get it. I do think that the fact of them being here since birth makes all the difference. They just don't do it.

I actually like this age. Their learning is exploding by leaps and bounds, and it's awesome to see!

Again, not criticizing or boasting in any way. Just wondered if there are any specifics for you?
nannyde 06:08 PM 06-01-2014
I don't like that age either. I'm a birth to two kinda gal.
racemom 06:36 PM 06-01-2014
Love my babies! School age including going into kinder=not for me!
craftymissbeth 06:43 PM 06-01-2014
3 is my cut-off... I'd love for it to be 2, but I have to give a little leeway so they can move on to preschool or wherever.

Everyone under 3 seems to just love me and listen to me and do whatever I expect them to do... and then once they turn 3 it's like they just don't give a hoot anymore
midaycare 06:54 PM 06-01-2014
I love age 4-5! The 2-3 "no" phase is the one I can't stand. Some kids it's earlier and some it's later. I have a 3-year-old in her "no" phase now and it's incredibly irritating. I love the 1-2's (before the "no"). Babies, eh. I can take em or leave em. But I never want more than one at a time.
cheerfuldom 08:27 PM 06-01-2014
I like 1 to 3. 4s can be okay but by 5, both me and the kid are totally over it LOL I send my own kids to preschool part time by that age, I am certainly not dealing with someone else's 5 year old. I think that if you take older 4s and 5s, you shouldnt take kids under like 18 months. Those older kids NEED a lot of outdoor time, structure and engaging activities......you cant trust them to play on their own usually.
playground1 10:34 PM 06-01-2014
I also like the 1-3s. And as much I love little babies, caring for several of them just isn't that fun. My new job is with ages 2-6, so we'll see how that goes.
Cradle2crayons 10:42 PM 06-01-2014
Me me me memememememememe me!!!

I'd take ALL babies if I could.

I really don't have issues with the older ones though because my son likes that age for playmates.
NightOwl 12:10 AM 06-02-2014
Let me clarify.

1 dcb5 is my own and another dcb4.5 is my nephew. And they are like oil and water. They fight and fuss CONSTANTLY, from the very first moment my nephew arrives. It's constant tattling, snatching toys, my nephew hits, my son fibs, etc, etc. Nothing I have tried has actually worked long term. I love them so dearly, but they're exhausting. And I'm sure I'll cry like a total baby when they actually leave for kinder.

But you're right Lucy. I seem to have a preference for those whom I've had from birth. Why is that??

I recently started a new 19 month old and I'm finding that he came with lots of little habits that are not necessarily good ones to have in a dc setting. Habits from home that I feel I need to break for him to be successful here. And I just feel like I'm taking care of him, not bonding like I did with my others that have been here from 6 weeks on. HE doesn't know that, of course. I don't treat him any better or worse. It's just.....not the same.
NightOwl 12:16 AM 06-02-2014
As far as the messes, I think these two push my buttons because one is my son and the other, my nephew. They're obviously so comfortable here, that they are fine with constantly pushing the boundaries. Mom says clean up? Eh, I'll do it later... Aunt says put toys away? Let me think of a reason not to... That sort of thing.

My own ds suddenly comes down with an illness or becomes terribly sleepy or just sustained a life threatening injury every time I tell him it's clean up time.
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 06-02-2014
I would take the 2-5 year range over any other age.

I do not like having babies in care. The few I have had (from current families) have been enjoyable and have been fairly easy babies but it's not my "choice" age to care for.

I also don't care much for the toddlers (12 months-23 months) although, the closer to 2 years they get the MORE I do enjoy...

Once they hit preschool age (here that is 2 years old) I LOVE THEM!!!

I love their eager to learn attitudes and willingness to please! Everything is "WOW" to them!

I don't mind the 5 year olds at all but once they have actually experienced the school setting and spent any amount of time in a group of ONLY peers, then I am done.

The immediate impact of that age group upon one another is MORE than I am willing to deal with. Up until same age peer exposure, I DO like them as they are still well behaved kids that follow the rules like second nature.
spud912 07:36 AM 06-02-2014
I like 3-5's. They seem to get better and better with age, peaking at 5-6. I love how they can do so much stuff and their minds are like little sponges.
drseuss 08:24 AM 06-02-2014
I have a 5 year old now who has just a couple of days left in my care. Her mom teaches, and school is almost out. DCG has been with me since she was one. As hard as it is going to be to see my long-time sidekick age out, she is so ready. My group here is really young and she is getting restless. *sniff sniff*
SilverSabre25 08:29 AM 06-02-2014
I find that by 4/4.5 they need a LOT more structure and a LOT more variety. They are less happy with a morning of just playing in a room full of wonderful toys and a yard full of space and a few things.

I do NOT do preschool, though preschool happens in the normal course of play.

I'm actually torn between switching to a full-blown full-day preschool type program or switching to JUSt the littles. I like preschoolers well enough if they are ALL I have to deal with and cater to. It's the blend of baby and preschooler that makes me head for the loony bin.
KiddieCahoots 09:03 AM 06-02-2014
My favorite age is 1-4yrs.
Feel up to the age of 1yr should be spent with mom.....if possible.
I get very excited with the 1yr olds.....not saying they haven't developed any of their own characters yet, or anything.....but it's kind of like a clean slate to work with....kwim?
drseuss 09:36 AM 06-02-2014
Totally LOVE one year olds!!
daycarediva 10:04 AM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I like 1 to 3. 4s can be okay but by 5, both me and the kid are totally over it LOL I send my own kids to preschool part time by that age, I am certainly not dealing with someone else's 5 year old. I think that if you take older 4s and 5s, you shouldnt take kids under like 18 months. Those older kids NEED a lot of outdoor time, structure and engaging activities......you cant trust them to play on their own usually.
ITA, the mixed age groups are HARD to maintain in a typical home daycare setting. My 3-5's all need CONSTANT activities CONSTANT supervision and CONSTANT guidance. It wouldn't be fair to a young infant/toddler to be that scheduled/structured, imho.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would take the 2-5 year range over any other age.

I do not like having babies in care. The few I have had (from current families) have been enjoyable and have been fairly easy babies but it's not my "choice" age to care for.

I also don't care much for the toddlers (12 months-23 months) although, the closer to 2 years they get the MORE I do enjoy...

Once they hit preschool age (here that is 2 years old) I LOVE THEM!!!

I love their eager to learn attitudes and willingness to please! Everything is "WOW" to them!

I don't mind the 5 year olds at all but once they have actually experienced the school setting and spent any amount of time in a group of ONLY peers, then I am done.

The immediate impact of that age group upon one another is MORE than I am willing to deal with. Up until same age peer exposure, I DO like them as they are still well behaved kids that follow the rules like second nature.
exactly this. 18m+, preferably 2+.
e.j. 02:01 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I never gave it much thought but I think you hit the nail on the head! I love the independence, curiosity and eagerness-to-learn of my 3 thru 5 year olds but as soon as they're enrolled in preschool, I notice a big change in them on the days they are here. They definitely have an impact on the younger kids. I hear "potty talk" and have to deal with other fresh behaviors from kids I never had a problem with prior to preschool.
TwinKristi 03:00 PM 06-02-2014
I'm a baby lover myself! I would take up to 4yr olds, but really, I don't want to. I would prefer all under 3 if I could.
Blackcat31 03:04 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I never gave it much thought but I think you hit the nail on the head! I love the independence, curiosity and eagerness-to-learn of my 3 thru 5 year olds but as soon as they're enrolled in preschool, I notice a big change in them on the days they are here. They definitely have an impact on the younger kids. I hear "potty talk" and have to deal with other fresh behaviors from kids I never had a problem with prior to preschool.
YES!!! It isn't the age so much but the exposure to outside influences.

When they are just here...they are MUCH better behaved.
Reply Up