Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>what do you all think
mia 12:16 PM 08-04-2014
I will be losing all but one of my daycare children by Sept.... I have had many ads out for openings. Only had a few replies but no interviews for they never got back to me after finding out my rates ( I figure other new or want to be providers looking for what to charge )....

Any way my husband came up with a suggestion on having a open house to hopefully get some clients.... I am unsure about doing this route .... I feel that if I try and do this there may only be providers on the prowl, and no persons that actually need care..... am I wrong in thinking that, should I do a open house, has anyone ever done a private home open house for possible clients?????
Unregistered 12:45 PM 08-04-2014
It always sounds like a good idea but no one ever shows up.
I advertised in a parade,huge newspaper ad about the open house,flyers,and still no one showed up. I even set it up like a carnival and no one showed.Very disappointing.
Play Care 12:56 PM 08-04-2014
Originally Posted by mia:
I will be losing all but one of my daycare children by Sept.... I have had many ads out for openings. Only had a few replies but no interviews for they never got back to me after finding out my rates ( I figure other new or want to be providers looking for what to charge )....

Any way my husband came up with a suggestion on having a open house to hopefully get some clients.... I am unsure about doing this route .... I feel that if I try and do this there may only be providers on the prowl, and no persons that actually need care..... am I wrong in thinking that, should I do a open house, has anyone ever done a private home open house for possible clients?????
The only way I do an open house is for current clients. They can bring friends/family. I don't do a "cold" open house for the reasons mentioned.
Lucy 06:35 PM 08-04-2014
What about looking into better or more creative forms of advertising? Other than a local newspaper, where do you advertise?

Maybe try some fliers that you put up in grocery stores, at the library, at any play centers that moms frequent, etc. Ask your city what the rules are regarding posting them in public areas like a park, etc.

See if the local schools will take your name and give it to parents who inquire. You might not want SA'ers, but could maybe get the younger siblings.

You could put a sign in your yard. There are good and bad things with this, so think about it.

Get a magnetic sign for your vehicle(s).

Call a few smaller businesses that are within a close proximity to your DC, ask to talk to Human Resources, and just ask if they know of anyone looking for DC. Maybe they'll let you come in and post a flier in their break room or something.

For Halloween this year, tape the candy to the back of a business card.

Get in a small parade, if there are any nearby, and pass out fliers and/or business cards.

Just a few things off the top of my head!
NightOwl 06:37 PM 08-04-2014
I was going to suggest a small sign or maybe one at the nearest intersection, but Lucy covered that.
hope 07:13 PM 08-04-2014
I found that offering drop in care or more babysitting hours during dry spells helped get me through till more clients came in. They were also a great way to get people in the door and see how great my dc was.
I feel like an open house wouldn't do much if people aren't coming now it wouldn't do much to change that
dave4him 06:55 AM 08-05-2014
Just don't advertise an open house on Craigs list... somehow that always ends badly.
mia 07:34 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
What about looking into better or more creative forms of advertising? Other than a local newspaper, where do you advertise?

I advertise on Kijiji, put up on local mail boxes, daycare bear forum, facebook moms page for the area, and another site can't think of name off hand.

Maybe try some fliers that you put up in grocery stores, at the library, at any play centers that moms frequent, etc. Ask your city what the rules are regarding posting them in public areas like a park, etc.

Some grocery stores don't allow, Library will NOT because they are not a business (tries them many times), the rest should be good places I shell try them as well.....

See if the local schools will take your name and give it to parents who inquire. You might not want SA'ers, but could maybe get the younger siblings.

My name is in at the local schools...... I don't see any calls until Sept for them....

You could put a sign in your yard. There are good and bad things with this, so think about it.

I have thought about this before.... thing is, is that we have one neighbor that is VERY picky on how peoples yards look... and calls city, police, etc on the silliest things.....

Get a magnetic sign for your vehicle(s).

Great idea will try this one....

Call a few smaller businesses that are within a close proximity to your DC, ask to talk to Human Resources, and just ask if they know of anyone looking for DC. Maybe they'll let you come in and post a flier in their break room or something.

Never thought of this one, will try.....

For Halloween this year, tape the candy to the back of a business card.

Oh wow never would have thought of this but GREAT idea will definitely do this, this year.....

Get in a small parade, if there are any nearby, and pass out fliers and/or business cards.

Was going to do this last fall, but chickened out. My husband thought about putting some card in the windshields of the mall parking lots ( the cars that are parked in the mothers to be spots.

Just a few things off the top of my head!

Thank you all for the ideas and advice ......
itlw8 10:20 AM 08-05-2014
I heard of someone that did a messy play day. lots of sensory activites set up for the children to do . That brought people just for that AND some were interested in the childcare after seeing her in action
Blackcat31 11:22 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by mia:

I give my current clients window clings for their vehicles.

I've had tons of interested calls/contacts because of them. (I always ask where someone got my info)

They do the "advertising" for me.

I have a DCF that owns a printing shop (like Kinkos) and I worked out a trade with her for services and she made me some fantastic window clings.

They are roughly the size of a bumper sticker (less rectangular and more square though) and have my logo and the phrase "My child is lovingly care for at xxxxx Child Care" and then my phone # and web address.
Reply Up