Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Leaving Without Car Seats
Unregistered 12:41 PM 12-01-2011
What is the rule regarding daycare providers and dck's being transported to/from daycare (not by the provider) without proper car seats. I am fairly certain some of my dck's leave daycare without car seats or booster seats in the vehicles. I am in the house though when they depart. It scares me.
Thoughts?
DaisyMamma 04:26 AM 12-02-2011
huge pet peeve of mine! read the laws parents! i had a mom putting her 6 year old in the front seat - for a 40 minute drive on the highway!!!!!!!!
send home a copy of your state laws and post one on your board. maybe add a notice on it that says you are obligated to report any noncompliance.
Meyou 04:56 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
huge pet peeve of mine! read the laws parents! i had a mom putting her 6 year old in the front seat - for a 40 minute drive on the highway!!!!!!!!
send home a copy of your state laws and post one on your board. maybe add a notice on it that says you are obligated to report any noncompliance.
The back seat is obviously safest but she may not have airbags in the front which would make it safe (legal) for children to sit there. My car is equipped with front airbags that are weight activated at the minimum weight requirement for safe use. I got this feature specifically so I could put children in the front seat if I needed to.
Cat Herder 05:01 AM 12-02-2011
I am required to call police and report it if I can't stop it.

I would be held accountable if I did nothing. It is part of being a mandated reporter.

Has your training classes with your state covered this topic yet? This was a major portion of ours this past summer.

They even offer free car seat tech classes for us.
Unregistered 05:35 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I am required to call police and report it if I can't stop it.

I would be held accountable if I did nothing. It is part of being a mandated reporter.

Has your training classes with your state covered this topic yet? This was a major portion of ours this past summer.

They even offer free car seat tech classes for us.

------
It irks me to no end just because of the safety factor. I am going to send a note home that I will need to report these people if they cannot follow the car seat laws.
I will use the mandated reporter and accountability thing in my note. Thanks for the input.
Sad that people cannot follow a simple law...I KNOW they have the proper equipment, just too lazy to use it.
Have a great Friday all!
Kaddidle Care 05:45 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
Yes this!

The Passenger seat isn't very safe for ANYONE according to my brother who did Auto Body work for 40 years! He calls it the suicide seat. Needless to say that the passenger seat area is the part of the vehicle he needed repair the most.
countrymom 05:54 AM 12-02-2011
I had a dad who got a ticket 2 weeks ago because he didn't buckle his kid. But the kid is 6 and he's a trouble maker in the car, so I can see him undoing it. I've seen many parents who don't put their older kids in car seats, and guess what they have all recieved tickets. Eventually they will get caught.
familyschoolcare 07:59 AM 12-02-2011
This is a form of child endangerment and you are required to report it. I personaly would make sure that the parent are aware of the law first and that you must report it, like sujjested earlier.
AnneCordelia 07:59 AM 12-02-2011
I have a DCP who will bring her child (16mo) in a cab on her lap home. Here it's legal to use taxi's without a carseat, because it's considered public transportation. Nothing I can do, although it does bother me.
Tags:car safety, car seats, car seats - guidelines, death, mandated reporter
Reply Up