Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need to be Prepared
wahmof3 04:47 AM 03-08-2012
Ok I have a DCB who has been out all week sick. I know the DCP's are going to ask for a discounted rate for this week.

Help me be prepared!

I have all teachers kids, so I don't give sick days bc I don't charge for summer. As long as I'm available they pay whether they come or not.

I just know she will ask.

Help
Thanks!
Daycare Diva 06:00 AM 03-08-2012
Refer her to your contract that she signed and agreed to follow. Hopefully it states that the weekly fee is due regardless if the child attends or not.
countrymom 06:05 AM 03-08-2012
see, this is where I don't charge (I know I know) but then I don't get sick kids here in my house. I would acually give her a discount, she kept her child home so no one else would get sick, that is great parenting.
MrsB 06:11 AM 03-08-2012
I give my DKC "sick pay". They get one day a month where they dont have to pay. (I reduce their next payment by their prorated daily amount) Not accumulated month to month. Doesn't help with your full week situation, but thats what I offer. I dont think I would give her a discount

You could tell her, sorry I already spent it!
Angelwings36 06:13 AM 03-08-2012
Simply refer her to the contract.

"Sorry Linda but I was still open those days and therefore you would still have to pay for the day even if your child was sick and couldn't attend. There is a section on this in your contract."

END OF CONVERSATION...

If she says, "but..."

Simply reply, "Sorry but it's in your contract."
Blackcat31 06:37 AM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
I don't give sick days bc I don't charge for summer.
That is the answer you should use if she does ask.

I also agree with Angelwings and simply refer back to your contract.
frugalmama4 06:47 AM 03-08-2012
Yep I agree w/Blackcat

You don't charge for summer so know sick day discount.

Besides I'm sure since she missed work she sill got pay...right!!!

This is in my handbook/policy
Parent/Child(ren) Sick Days:

• You will still be required to make full payment for all days and hours your child is normally scheduled to be in care.
• For absences of (10) ten consecutive days or more due to serious illnesses, a doctor’s note is required. Fees/ slot holds will be discussed at this time.
• For absences due to maternity leave or extended leave from work/school ½ (half) of one month’s entire tuition must be paid in advance before the scheduled leave in order to hold your child(ren) slot. Your child may attend 2days per-week during the leave of absence. Note: Hold fees will be due by the 5th day of each month during the leave of absences.

Please notify me immediately if your child(ren) will not be in care for any length of time.
wahmof3 07:48 AM 03-08-2012
Thanks for all of your advice!

I think I have screwed myself & yes I am in tears right now.

I pulled the DCM's contract & phb and some how she got an older contract. I'm not even sure how it happened. I am very very anal when it comes to my contracts etc. I just don't know how this was missed!!!

Well it covers everything EXCEPT it DOES NOT state fee's are due regardless of attendance.

I started dcb in November & then rewrote my contracts for my current families effective Jan 1 2012. Didn't give them a new contract because they JUST started.

When rates were discussed when we met: I told her it was a pay for space & that 3 or more days per week was considered full time.

So (shaking my head) I'm not even sure how to respond WHEN she does ask.

so mad at myself
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 03-08-2012
Thanks for all of your advice!

I think I have screwed myself & yes I am in tears right now.

I pulled the DCM's contract & phb and some how she got an older contract. I'm not even sure how it happened. I am very very anal when it comes to my contracts etc. I just don't know how this was missed!!!

Well it covers everything EXCEPT it DOES NOT state fee's are due regardless of attendance.

I started dcb in November & then rewrote my contracts for my current families effective Jan 1 2012. Didn't give them a new contract because they JUST started.

When rates were discussed when we met: I told her it was a pay for space & that 3 or more days per week was considered full time.

So (shaking my head) I'm not even sure how to respond WHEN she does ask.

so mad at myself
It's ok, we have all been there and made mistakes or let something get by us....don't worry it is fixable.

You tell mom that she has an old contract and tell her what your new one says about not charging for summer,

then tell her she has two options:

Either way you win and she still has to pay for something in regard to absences.....IMO, it is fair because you are compromising in either situation.
familyschoolcare 08:03 AM 03-08-2012
If she ask, give the discount, and tell her that wshe will need to sign the new contract that all the "other" "new" parents are on. Print one for her and give her a reasonable amount of time to sign. Sorry the sucks for you.
wahmof3 06:53 PM 03-08-2012
Well DCM asked me tonight what her fee was for the week (like I knew she would)

So I very politely replied that even though he was sick, I am still charging my full rate because I was still available for care when she needed it.

She said ok thank you, see you in the morning.

I can usually tell if someone is upset/mad by their tone & she wasn't.

Yay! Thank you all!!!
daycare 09:18 PM 03-08-2012
I am open all year round, so I give 3 sick days to my full time families. They have to be used all at once, cannot be used in conjunction with their vacation days and cannot be carried over from year to year.

Also, if they are out for 3 straight days, I require a doc note to allow them to come back in.
wahmof3 04:07 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am open all year round, so I give 3 sick days to my full time families. They have to be used all at once, cannot be used in conjunction with their vacation days and cannot be carried over from year to year.

Also, if they are out for 3 straight days, I require a doc note to allow them to come back in.
I really like the note from a doctor if out more than 3 days!!!

I don't give sick days for my school teachers. I thought about it, but they already get sooo many perks. I do, however, give them a break if I am sick.
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 03-09-2012
Well DCM asked me tonight what her fee was for the week (like I knew she would)

So I very politely replied that even though he was sick, I am still charging my full rate because I was still available for care when she needed it.

She said ok thank you, see you in the morning.

I can usually tell if someone is upset/mad by their tone & she wasn't.

Yay! Thank you all!!!
So glad it worked out ok for you!
Reply Up