Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>False Allegations of Abuse
Daycare Diva 03:21 PM 06-25-2012
I have a fellow daycare provider/ friend who has a parent make false allegations of neglect. The parent was given a two weeks notice didnt want to make the final payment and she became upset and started making allegations. I have seen this provider with the children and she is very nurturing and caring. The parent is threatening to go to CPS if the provider doesn't agree to drop the 2 week final tuition payment. The child in question is an infant and the parent is upset because of a neck rash on the child. I have no idea what advice to give my friend. I would really appreciate some advice from you guys. Thanks in advance.
cheerfuldom 03:32 PM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by Daycare Diva:
I have a fellow daycare provider/ friend who has a parent make false allegations of neglect. The parent was given a two weeks notice didnt want to make the final payment and she became upset and started making allegations. I have seen this provider with the children and she is very nurturing and caring. The parent is threatening to go to CPS if the provider doesn't agree to drop the 2 week final tuition payment. The child in question is an infant and the parent is upset because of a neck rash on the child. I have no idea what advice to give my friend. I would really appreciate some advice from you guys. Thanks in advance.
I would not give on it. Everything should be documented by the provider and she should call this parents bluff. Also call the licensor NOW to give them a heads up. It is VERY common for parents to do false claims when they dont want to pay something....the authorities will be very familiar with this type of scenario. I wouldnt worry about it at all.
originalkat 03:57 PM 06-25-2012
This is more common than you might think. It usually comes up when the parent is upset about a payment issue and not before. it is a really bad situation for her to deal with, but I would not give in. A provider friend of mine had this happen to her and she called licensing ahead of time so that if they got a call they would have a heads up. Nothing ever came of it.
MizzCheryl 04:31 PM 06-25-2012
Tell her to call licensing and get advice. They will usually be very helpful. A neck rash would not be neglect on the provider I wouldn't think. I would call my consultant and have when I terminated.
AnneCordelia 04:39 PM 06-25-2012
If possible she should record her phone calls with this client or keep copies of the letters. If she can record her conversations then she can potentially help her cause.
Kiki 05:09 PM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
Tell her to call licensing and get advice. They will usually be very helpful. A neck rash would not be neglect on the provider I wouldn't think. I would call my consultant and have when I terminated.
Agreed. With how hot it has been everywhere, I wouldn't be surprised to see neck rashes on young children at all, they sweat like crazy, and drool, and drop stuff in their..and other things.
I hope all goes well for her, that is too bad.
Crystal 07:36 PM 06-25-2012
I absolutley would not take kindly to a parent doing this and would call them out on it. I would let them know that if there is one false accusation of abuse or neglect that I WILL take legal action against the parent. It would be said directly to the parent and it would also be sent via certified mail in a formal, professional letter. If there are any acts of aggression from the parent in my home after that I would call the police and have her removed from my property. NO WAY I would tolerate a parent threatening me with such action and allow her to BULLY me into complying with her demands.
MN Day Mom 06:32 AM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I absolutley would not take kindly to a parent doing this and would call them out on it. I would let them know that if there is one false accusation of abuse or neglect that I WILL take legal action against the parent. It would be said directly to the parent and it would also be sent via certified mail in a formal, professional letter. If there are any acts of aggression from the parent in my home after that I would call the police and have her removed from my property. NO WAY I would tolerate a parent threatening me with such action and allow her to BULLY me into complying with her demands.
I agree 100%!
Willow 07:04 AM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by Daycare Diva:
The parent is threatening to go to CPS if the provider doesn't agree to drop the 2 week final tuition payment.
This is called extortion.

Extortion is against the law and absolutely is a punishable offense.

Tell your friend to throw that one out there to this parent - cease the coercion and fraudulent threats or your friend will be going to the police. Any subsequent slanderous/libel/defamation of character claims will also be addressed via a court of law. If she was perfectly happy with her child attending care there it's obvious there were no such ACTUAL concerns. That's all the proof your friend will need to prove her side on any of those fronts.

Also tell your friend to make a preemptive call to her licensor and request she notifies CPS in advance that false claims may be headed their way over a disgruntled parent. Tell her if she or they would like to check the situation out to verify what's really going on there anyone is more than welcome to.

Beyond that she needs to stick to her guns. I would NOT take being threatened like that sitting down.
California Provider 09:52 AM 06-26-2012
In California, at least, it's easy to file a false complaint against a provider because you can do so anonymously and there are no consequences if its proven that your complaint was false.

It is sad that there ARE parents out there who out of sheer spite and vindictiveness would try to bring harm on a Provider (and Provider's family) with a false complaint. I've terminated families in the past that I just KNEW would be the ones to file a false complaint against me, so I was always careful to have a written trail of emails and documentation, to prove that any complaint they might file was unsubstantiated.

I think if parents had to give their names, and if there were PUNISHMENTS for filing false complaints against providers, far fewer complaints would be filed.

As far as the neck rash that the original poster talks about, I believe her client just seized on that as an excuse to file a complaint - knowing she had NOTHING credible to complain about!
Mom&Provider 10:57 AM 06-26-2012
I would think giving in and allowing them to get off free of payment would be looked upon as being guilty when she is not! She needs to document everything and call whoever she needs to to let them know what is happening.

I'm sure a Dr. would be called upon to diagnose the rash and if your friend were to be put into the spotlight I'm sure CPS would do some research before putting her in any trouble anyway. A rash on the neck could be a variety of things from laundry detergent irritation, drool, heat rash or even not being cleaned properly etc.

This is terrible for your friend...I hope she makes it through all this ok!!
Daycare Diva 11:01 AM 06-26-2012
Thanks guys for all your wonderful advice. I will pass it along.
Tags:abuse, cps, false allegations, neglect
Reply Up